Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   "Are you playing a match?" (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=429821)

Orange 06-27-2012 10:13 PM

"Are you playing a match?"

In a recent small tournament, my opponent and I each served every other game, called the score before each point when serving, played with three new balls, adjusted the score-keeping device on each changeover and switched sides after each odd game.

During one changeover late in the first set, a player on the next court asked me, "Are you playing a match?"

I replied, "Yes, I'm playing in the same tournament you are."

Her question seemed very odd to me, though, and I couldn't stop myself from thinking about it as I played. I realize I need to concentrate on the game at hand and not let myself get distracted. The realization that I was being distracted frustrated me. This was my first singles tournament, and I wonder:

Is it typical for players on the next court to ask questions during your match, even during a changeover?
Why would someone ask me whether I was playing a match when it was obvious that I was?
How would you have replied?

corbind 06-27-2012 10:28 PM

I'm curious why she cared if you were just hitting or in a match... I'd have answered same as you did but probably chuckle while doing such. :)

tennis tom 06-27-2012 10:48 PM

Maybe she was trying to hit on you, was she cute?

TomT 06-27-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange (Post 6666922)
In a recent small tournament, my opponent and I each served every other game, called the score before each point when serving, played with three new balls, adjusted the score-keeping device on each changeover and switched sides after each odd game.

During one changeover late in the first set, a player on the next court asked me, "Are you playing a match?"

I replied, "Yes, I'm playing in the same tournament you are."

Her question seemed very odd to me, though, and I couldn't stop myself from thinking about it as I played. I realize I need to concentrate on the game at hand and not let myself get distracted. The realization that I was being distracted frustrated me. This was my first singles tournament, and I wonder:

Is it typical for players on the next court to ask questions during your match, even during a changeover?
Why would someone ask me whether I was playing a match when it was obvious that I was?

I was recently playing a league match at a public court, and some people who were waiting for a court asked if we were playing a match, and I said, matter of factly, "yes", with a smile. No problem, they waited and actually got a different court before we were done. Happens a lot to me when I'm playing a match at my local public courts because most of the people who play at those courts aren't in the league.

Your experience (situation), from what you wrote, seems to have been a bit different from that. One can only suppose that it wasn't obvious to the questioner that you were playing a match ... which raises other questions.

Anyway, of course, if you were all playing matches in the same small tournament, then your reply seems most appropriate. In the situation you related I would probably have replied in a bit more sarcastic, but still friendly, way -- maybe something like, "duh", with a nice smile.

TomT 06-27-2012 11:13 PM

On reading the comments by corbind and tennis tom it hadn't occurred to me that she might be hitting on you. Is tennis a great game, or what!?

corbind 06-27-2012 11:31 PM

Hmmmmm, the more you guys mentioned her odd question hitting on him may actually be plausible. It fits the bill for asking a dumb question at an odd time with nothing for her to lose save getting a "duh" response. :oops:

Cindysphinx 06-28-2012 04:30 AM

: face palm :

What does a chick have to do to let a guy know she is interested?

Come on, boys. *Pay attention.* She wanted to make contact, maybe flirt a little with the smokin' hot guy on the next court. How else is she supposed to do this? She could say, "Wow, that's some FH you have there!" but then this might make him start missing his FH and then he would blame her.

So she went with the obvious and innocuous, "Are you playing a match?" Orange was supposed to reply with something lighthearted, just to get the conversation going. Maybe, "Yeah, he's tough. How about you? Are you playing a match?" Then she could say, "Yeah, I'm almost done. I'll wait for you at the scorer's table. I'm dying to hear how your match goes."

But noooooooooooooooo. She got the brush off, and now she feels like an idiot.

: repeat face palm :

pvaudio 06-28-2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 6667343)
: face palm :

What does a chick have to do to let a guy know she is interested?

Come on, boys. *Pay attention.* She wanted to make contact, maybe flirt a little with the smokin' hot guy on the next court. How else is she supposed to do this? She could say, "Wow, that's some FH you have there!" but then this might make him start missing his FH and then he would blame her.

So she went with the obvious and innocuous, "Are you playing a match?" Orange was supposed to reply with something lighthearted, just to get the conversation going. Maybe, "Yeah, he's tough. How about you? Are you playing a match?" Then she could say, "Yeah, I'm almost done. I'll wait for you at the scorer's table. I'm dying to hear how your match goes."

But noooooooooooooooo. She got the brush off, and now she feels like an idiot.

: repeat face palm :

:lol: :lol: I seriously started laughing out loud.

spot 06-28-2012 04:56 AM

Either she was just being friendly or you guys are so bad that she didn't recognize what you were doing as tennis. You can pick which one you would rather go with but I'd stick with friendly.

Orange 06-28-2012 05:37 AM

I can barely type for laughing.

Quote:

maybe flirt a little with the smokin' hot guy on the next court
I'm thinking that this probably wasn't it, as I'm a 51-year-old not-too-hot woman, so ...

Govnor 06-28-2012 06:35 AM

Haha!!!!!!!!!!

spiderman123 06-28-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange (Post 6667456)

I'm thinking that this probably wasn't it, as I'm a 51-year-old not-too-hot woman, so ...

2012. Every comment stands.

spaceman_spiff 06-28-2012 08:30 AM

Ah, you gotta love random distracting comments.

I was playing doubles in a national club league match with the head pro at my club a couple of weeks ago. In the middle of the second set (in a tight match) at 15-15 on my partner's serve, as he was picking up a ball from the back fence, one of the other pros starts asking him about the whole schedule for junior groups this autumn.

My partner just about flipped out and ripped this lady's head off. After all, she'd been teaching a lesson for an hour already, so she could quite clearly see we were in a tight match. It's not as if she'd just walked up to the courts.

sureshs 06-28-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange (Post 6667456)

Why is Navratilova hanging out at small tournaments?

GlennK 06-28-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderman123 (Post 6667803)
2012. Every comment stands.

+1

This one had me laughing out loud.

OrangePower 06-28-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange (Post 6666922)

I would have replied "yes".

And promptly forgotten than the question was raised. Learned long ago not to try divine other peoples' motives for doing seemingly silly stuff, or care why.

Govnor 06-28-2012 10:51 AM

"You guys playing cards"?

maggmaster 06-28-2012 12:05 PM

No, in fact, I am hunting elephants...

beernutz 06-28-2012 12:41 PM

She might have been asking if you were playing an 'official' tournament match. In her mind, you might have been playing a warmup practice match during a time or on a court which was reserved for official matches. I played in our state tournament a couple of weeks ago and had to ask some players using our assigned court to leave. Watching them you'd have thought they might have been playing an official match but we knew the court was supposed to be empty.

In your case it was probably someone just being clueless, like if you are standing somewhere holding a cigarette and you get asked, 'You smoke?'

AELTC 06-28-2012 12:47 PM

The Dude Abides

"Obviously, you're not a golfer."