Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   rubber soles in shoes gets harder over time? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=429880)

iyudhi 06-28-2012 10:07 AM

rubber soles in shoes gets harder over time?

Hello all,

Recently I was having this conversation with a friend. I like to stock tennis shoes whenever I find a good deal. He disagreed, saying that rubber soles in shoes get harder over time, and therefore it might not be a good idea to stock shoes for a long time, because it cannot be good for your knees.

Since we're both no experts in shoes, I'm wondering if anyone know if that's a fact or just a myth?

FlameYo 06-28-2012 01:16 PM

Rubber outer/mid soles get softer over time since they get more flexing and there's less rubber. The stiffness is gone by this time for most shoes. What shoes does your friend use to make this opinion?

iyudhi 06-28-2012 01:18 PM

Barricade V

So you don't think that's not true then?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlameYo (Post 6670086)
Rubber outer/mid soles get softer over time since they get more flexing and there's less rubber. The stiffness is gone by this time for most shoes. What shoes does your friend use to make this opinion?

Gasolina 06-28-2012 01:24 PM

I guess the OP's question was for shoes on deadstock, not shoes being used.

Slightly related, but deadstock shoes do have drawbacks. The glue on shoes dries / flakes out usually around 4-6 years, at least I heard.

So you might get some detached midsoles / outsoles

iyudhi 06-28-2012 01:27 PM

sorry I couldn't really understand the terminologies.. so basically you mean: if the shoes aren't being used for a long time, that becomes deadstock.. is that correct? if yes, how long does it usually take to get to that point?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasolina (Post 6670179)
I guess the OP's question was for shoes on deadstock, not shoes being used.

Slightly related, but deadstock shoes do have drawbacks. The glue on shoes dries / flakes out usually around 4-6 years, at least I heard.

So you might get some detached midsoles / outsoles

WildVolley 06-28-2012 02:36 PM

I think it really depends on the shoe.

Also, it isn't clear to me that a shoe becoming stiffer over time is necessarily bad for your knees. Softer shoes may reduce impact on knees but increase torque due to less stability.

mrtrinh 06-28-2012 03:29 PM

I've never had any issues. Had vapor 6's stocked up for a year, always played like new

nyc 07-02-2012 06:23 PM

You're actually both right.

Any flexible plastic material will lose flexibility over time. Plastizisers are ingredients that give the material flexibility, and they do migrate to the surface, resulting in discoloration and increased brittleness. For example my Ski boots completely crumbled after 10 years.

Having said that, it takes a longer period of time - so storing Barricade Vs for a year shouldn't be a problem.

OldFedIsOld 07-02-2012 07:22 PM

The only thing that I can think of that can make a shoe feel harder over time is if the shoes were stored in a cold room with a lack of moisture. More moisture= more flexing, colder= molecules of rubber coming closer together which makes it more harder.