Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Arrogant Federer - Comments on Nadal's loss (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=430138)

tennisaddict 06-29-2012 04:30 PM

Arrogant Federer - Comments on Nadal's loss
 
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templ...8505&zoneid=25

Federer said that while his opinion is nothing against Nadal on a personal level, it was good to see that upsets are still possible.

"I think 15 years ago you had matches like this so much more often on the faster surfaces, that a guy could catch fire and just run through you," Federer said. "Today it's virtually impossible because you make so many more returns these days and conditions are so much slower with the elements. Whereas it was just amazing to see that it was possible. Okay, he didn't play like that for five sets, but in the fifth it was just a joke. I was laughing because of his performance for 10 minutes after that. I couldn't believe that he pulled it off the way he did. Of course I do feel bad for Rafa because it's a tough loss; it's Wimbledon; it's the way things happen."

Shouldnt Fed be more classy ?

Before we launch a Fed vs Nadal vs Djoko war, please think how the forum would react if Novak or Nadal had said 'It is good to see an upset' if Fed lost to Julien B ?

goderer 06-29-2012 04:33 PM

go away ********

Entire presser:
Quote:

Q: Roger, a lot of us have not seen a guy play the way Rosol did last night, especially in a pressure situation - how much sympathy did you feel for Rafa going down that way?

A: Well, This is not against Rafa - but it was nice to see it was still possible, because I think 15 years ago you had matches like this so much more often on the faster surfaces, that a guy could just catch fire and just run through you.

Today it's virtually impossible because you make so many more returns these days and conditions are so much slower, with the elements its so much harder to be..ummm..in that state I think, where as it was just amazing to see it was possible. Ok, he didn't play like that for 5 sets but in the 5th it was just a joke and I was laughing because of his performance for 10 minutes after that. I couldn't believe it that he pulled it off the way he did.

Of course I do feel bad for Rafa, because it's a tough loss, its Wimbledon, it's the way things happen. You figure he was not the overwhelming favourite going into the 5th, outdoors but....we've all been unlucky and lucky over the years, playing in tough, better or worse conditions for yourself or for the opponent, that they just equal out over the course of your career really.

JeMar 06-29-2012 04:34 PM

How is that arrogant? He's noting that Rosol's play in the fifth set was completely ridiculous. To most people with common sense, they'll read it as Federer commenting on how slap-happy Rosol played.

tennisaddict 06-29-2012 04:37 PM

How will the forum react if Novak or Nadal had said 'It is good to see a upset' if Fed lost to Julien B ?

OrangePower 06-29-2012 04:40 PM

Rosol was in god mode in the 5th set... I was laughing also at the time as I was watching the match thinking on how ridiculous his play was. So I understand what Fed is saying it's nothing negative against Rafa just saying that it's rare to see these days a no-name go into god mode, wheras it used to happen more often in the past especially with the faster surfaces that reward that going-for-broke style of play.

MindoverMatter 06-29-2012 04:59 PM

I was laughing too! During the fifth set I took a step back and just started laughing, saying to myself "Hahaha alright what is this, what's going on here? This isn't actually happening, where's the hidden cameras and the strings?"

reds17 06-29-2012 05:11 PM

I'm not sure how that can be offensive to anybody. Yes, Federer basically said he preferred the greater unpredictability of tennis back in the day of faster surfaces. Why wouldn't he? Most of the posters are aware that faster surfaces would benefit Federer more, gee, I guess he might be aware of that too. No big deal, he also expressed condolences to how it worked out for Rafa, stating everybody has been lucky or unlucky over the years. Nadal unfortunately was playing a guy who was white-hot, not much you could do.

The Bawss 06-29-2012 05:13 PM

I was the same, I just couldn't believe the quality of tennis this guy was pulling off. I don't think anyone has ever played at a level so far higher than their ranking ever.

In fact I'm putting this out there: I think Rosol's 5th set was up there with some of the peak godmode Federer sets and that ridiculous set Gonzo played.

Hood_Man 06-29-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindoverMatter (Post 6676337)
I was laughing too! During the fifth set I took a step back and just started laughing, saying to myself "Hahaha alright what is this, what's going on here? This isn't actually happening, where's the hidden cameras and the strings?"

This is probably how everyone was reacting, I was seeing comments on Facebook from friends of mine who never watch tennis, I've never seen so many tennis related "Wtf is happening?/Who is this guy?/Nadal losing???" statuses before.

Plus a fair few people finally acknowledging my status as "the Tennis nut" by asking me who Rosol was, but I couldn't tell them anything :lol:

Towser83 06-29-2012 05:15 PM

nothing wrong with saying it's good upsets can happen. Not sure about saying you were laughing afterwards though? I mean maybe he was laughing in disbelief or whatever but it makes it sounds like he was laughing at someone losing which is not good. Quite a strange comment. And I doubt he would have been laughing today had Benny done the same thing that Rosol did :lol:

But he probably wasn't actually laughing for 10 minutes solid, maybe just sort the odd snort of disbelief :lol:

TheF1Bob 06-29-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bawss (Post 6676377)
I was the same, I just couldn't believe the quality of tennis this guy was pulling off. I don't think anyone has ever played at a level so far higher than their ranking ever.

In fact I'm putting this out there: I think Rosol's 5th set was up there with some of the peak godmode Federer sets and that ridiculous set Gonzo played.

His serving was on par with God-Mode Fed but Nadal did fu** all to make Roslo play them shots, just hit them short and at him too. Saying that, ain't that the way Nadal plays??? Relying on opponents unforced errors??? Great to see someone answer the crap tennis Nadal produces 24/7. :)

Federererer 06-29-2012 05:20 PM

Actually this kind of takes me back to Fed's comment after the lost to Djoker at the USO in 2011. He said some guys when they are down or have nothing to lose, just start slapping at balls and everything just happens to go in. I wonder if he was likening Rosol to the way Djokovic just went for it on match point and just kept doing it and they went in.

MichaelNadal 06-29-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisaddict (Post 6676301)
How will the forum react if Novak or Nadal had said 'It is good to see a upset' if Fed lost to Julien B ?

There would be no less than 40 threads about it.

hrstrat57 06-29-2012 05:48 PM

I call those "Happy Gilmore" ground strokes.....

TheF1Bob 06-29-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelNadal (Post 6676454)
There would be no less than 40 threads about it.

100% Agree. Shoulda seen the reaction after the match, you thought Fed died lol.

I got slaughtered god knows why, probz cause I ain't no ******. :)

mellowyellow 06-29-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeMar (Post 6676288)
How is that arrogant? He's noting that Rosol's play in the fifth set was completely ridiculous. To most people with common sense, they'll read it as Federer commenting on how slap-happy Rosol played.

Seems as this is the compassionate side, Fed can sympathize because he was a victim of slap happy Novak in the USO semi on match point

BreakPoint 06-29-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisaddict (Post 6676280)
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templ...8505&zoneid=25

Federer said that while his opinion is nothing against Nadal on a personal level, it was good to see that upsets are still possible.

"I think 15 years ago you had matches like this so much more often on the faster surfaces, that a guy could catch fire and just run through you," Federer said. "Today it's virtually impossible because you make so many more returns these days and conditions are so much slower with the elements. Whereas it was just amazing to see that it was possible. Okay, he didn't play like that for five sets, but in the fifth it was just a joke. I was laughing because of his performance for 10 minutes after that. I couldn't believe that he pulled it off the way he did. Of course I do feel bad for Rafa because it's a tough loss; it's Wimbledon; it's the way things happen."

Shouldnt Fed be more classy ?

Before we launch a Fed vs Nadal vs Djoko war, please think how the forum would react if Novak or Nadal had said 'It is good to see an upset' if Fed lost to Julien B ?

Well, I was laughing too during that 5th set and it had nothing at all to do with Nadal. I was laughing because of the ridiculous winners that Rosol was hitting over and over again. I didn't think it was possible. But here was this guy doing it as if it was a joke on the tennis world, like -"Hey, this is easy, there's nothing to it, just hit a blazing winner on every shot!" It turned the established tennis strategy of waiting for your opportunity for an opening before going for a winner upside down. I'm sure that's what Federer meant. Rosol made tennis a joke because he made it seem too easy.

Oh, and yes, he's right about that upsets used to be much more common so yes, it is good to see them again. :)

stringertom 06-29-2012 05:57 PM

Within Camp ******, "arrogance" is defined as "whatever Rogi says".

I have only one thing to apply that term towards Rogi...Sexi arrogance of shots mere mortals cannot imagine before he strokes them!

ledwix 06-29-2012 05:59 PM

99 mph backhand winners every few points are pretty laughably good, I agree. Pmac used to laugh in shock at Federer's godly play back in 2005 or 2006 as well. It had nothing to do with Nadal and everything to do with the performance of Rosol's offense. But obviously Federer does have something against Nadal after he got in the way of so many of his grand slam titles. There's no question about it.

Atherton2003 06-29-2012 06:00 PM

I wonder if Federer would be laughing if he was on the receiving end of the display by Rosol instead of Nadal.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse