Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Buying First Stringer - Used. Please help! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=430385)

ChadW 07-01-2012 06:49 PM

Buying First Stringer - Used. Please help!

Newbie here. Thanks for all the great information here.

Gonna take the dive and get into stringing. Instead of the $180 new Klippermate, or Gamma X2, I'm considering a few used ones for a similar price.

Which of these would you recommend (listed in the order that I prefer them)? What things should I concerned about buying used?

Zebest from the 1980s; (I think it's a predecessor of the current Eagnas 700).

Winn Pro II with newer Eagnas tensioner (not sure on age)

Gamma Progression 602 FC (about 10 years old)

Ektelon [Don't know the model or year, but has been recently used to string]

ChadW 07-01-2012 06:50 PM

what happened to my photos?

I used imgur dot com. I only see the dreaded red X.

ChadW 07-01-2012 07:13 PM

ChadW 07-02-2012 11:05 AM

Anyone willing to chime in here? I could really use some expertise, as I'm too new and inexperienced to know which is the best route to go.

1HandedBackhand 07-02-2012 02:56 PM

I personally would go with the Gamma 602 FC.....I like the six point mounting and the fixed clamps. Also I know you can still get parts for it, as for the older machines i'm not so sure. I would stay away from EAGNAS I personally think they sell generic parts that are low quality! Hope this helps.

ChadW 07-02-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1HandedBackhand (Post 6686015)
I personally would go with the Gamma 602 FC.....I like the six point mounting and the fixed clamps. Also I know you can still get parts for it, as for the older machines i'm not so sure. I would stay away from EAGNAS I personally think they sell generic parts that are low quality! Hope this helps.

Thank you for the response! Do you think the others with crank tensioners aren't much of a step above the Gamma drop weight?

BigGriff 07-02-2012 05:55 PM

I would go with the Gamma as well. parts will be easy to find for that. Not much to go wrong with the drop weight. You can get a stand for it and convert it with a Wise Tension Head when you get better at stringing. The resale on the Gamma will be better. Eagnas has bad customer service unless you live in the L.A. area. The other stringers look like they will need some work (busting rust, calibration) parts may not be available.

dak95_00 07-02-2012 06:21 PM

The Gamma is the newest and parts will be easy to get.

I'd look into the Ektelon is worth looking into also. Its parts would also be easy to find as it is the older version of the Prince NEOS 1000 and aside from the smaller table, it is the same. Clamps are the same, tension head could be interchanged, etc.

If it were me, these are the questions I'd ask when trying to distinguish between the two. We've eliminated the other two; Eagnas & Zebest.
1) Are you going to string for others?
If not, either would work great unless your racquet has a fan pattern. If your racquet has a fan pattern, go with the Gamma. The glide bar vs. other clamping system. If not, go with the Ektelon. It will do a great job and be fast. BTW, there should be a badge under the turn table that says it is a MODEL D or DE.

2) What's the cost difference?
If it is significant, go with the cheaper. Both are good machines. The Ektelon is worth $300 easily. Does it have both long glide bars and two clamps? Not necessary but does it have the two shorter (1/2 size) glide bars? The Gamma is roughly $350 new.

3) Is speed a consideration while stringing? The Ektelon will be faster to string on and to learn to string on.

Another poster mentioned purchasing a Wise Tension Head. They were made to go on the Ektelon/Prince machines w/o any adapters. They go used for approx. $300 shipped. From what I'm reading here, I'm guessing that you have your option of any of these machines for approx. $200. For a total of $500, you could have an awesome stringer and as good as anyone has.

If it were me, I'd go with the Ektelon as long as I don't have to string fan pattern racquets and I might get it even if I did. There are many threads about the Model D or DE on here. The only shortcomings of these machines are if they don't have the Model H table upgrade. The picture you included does! I'd also look to see if it has the tension knob upgrade to show the individual tensions counting by 1s and not by 5s. Even so, that wouldn't be the deal breaker for me. The last shortcoming is the shorter tension arm to crank the machine back on but again, there are many threads and even Youtube videos showing how to overcome that slight deficiency.

MAX PLY 07-02-2012 06:22 PM

^^^ Agree with previous poster.

If those are the machines I think they are, I would snap up that Ektelon (if it is the one on craigslist in Woodstock GA, the guy is only asking $100). The table is upgraded and the tension head works--$100 is a steal. You could have it really tuned and add modern Neos clamps (if needed) for a couple 100 more. Honestly, I have actually thought about buying it myself (I just helped restore a machine in worse shape than that that cost $50 bucks more), but I have enough projects. After that, I would pick the Zebest (it is basically the same as the Eagnas and looks to be in better shape and is only $200 (I could make a decent argument to get it instead of the Ektelon but I know the Ektelon is a tank). My last pick is the Gamma--only because I am not a fan of drop weights (don't get me wrong, they work just fine and the Gamma is a good one, I just prefer non-drop weights). Good luck.

dak95_00 07-02-2012 06:29 PM

$100 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No brainer.

I just came back to post this link http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=415658 about an even older Model B

BigGriff 07-02-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak95_00 (Post 6686461)
The Gamma is the newest and parts will be easy to get.

I'd look into the Ektelon is worth looking into also. Its parts would also be easy to find as it is the older version of the Prince NEOS 1000 and aside from the smaller table, it is the same. Clamps are the same, tension head could be interchanged, etc.

If it were me, these are the questions I'd ask when trying to distinguish between the two. We've eliminated the other two; Eagnas & Zebest.
1) Are you going to string for others?
If not, either would work great unless your racquet has a fan pattern. If your racquet has a fan pattern, go with the Gamma. The glide bar vs. other clamping system. If not, go with the Ektelon. It will do a great job and be fast. BTW, there should be a badge under the turn table that says it is a MODEL D or DE.

2) What's the cost difference?
If it is significant, go with the cheaper. Both are good machines. The Ektelon is worth $300 easily. Does it have both long glide bars and two clamps? Not necessary but does it have the two shorter (1/2 size) glide bars? The Gamma is roughly $350 new.

3) Is speed a consideration while stringing? The Ektelon will be faster to string on and to learn to string on.

Another poster mentioned purchasing a Wise Tension Head. They were made to go on the Ektelon/Prince machines w/o any adapters. They go used for approx. $300 shipped. From what I'm reading here, I'm guessing that you have your option of any of these machines for approx. $200. For a total of $500, you could have an awesome stringer and as good as anyone has.

If it were me, I'd go with the Ektelon as long as I don't have to string fan pattern racquets and I might get it even if I did. There are many threads about the Model D or DE on here. The only shortcomings of these machines are if they don't have the Model H table upgrade. The picture you included does! I'd also look to see if it has the tension knob upgrade to show the individual tensions counting by 1s and not by 5s. Even so, that wouldn't be the deal breaker for me. The last shortcoming is the shorter tension arm to crank the machine back on but again, there are many threads and even Youtube videos showing how to overcome that slight deficiency.

^^Spot on!

Another thing make sure you really know the condition of the machine you are considering. Communication with the seller is key. If you can't look at the machine in person get as many pics as possible.

A buddy of mine bought a crank from a seller and the only thing we could salvage was the stand, base and mounting brackets. The rust ruined the actual tensioner.

I hate when forum members share horror stories when they get duped. There are some quality deals out there. Good luck!!!

dak95_00 07-02-2012 06:40 PM

I went and looked at the actual posting. That might just be a Model H. The clamps look newer and the arm might be longer.

I wish I lived in the Atlanta area! There appears to be really good tennis there and deals like this are ridiculous! I just want a new stringer that isn't glide bars because I do string fan pattern racquets from time-to-time and all I've ever strung on was a Model D w/ the H upgrades I wrote about and my current newer machine. It's a Prince P200. :) I just started stringing 3-5 years ago.

dak95_00 07-02-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGriff (Post 6686489)
^^Spot on!

Another thing make sure you really know the condition of the machine you are considering. Communication with the seller is key. If you can't look at the machine in person get as many pics as possible.

A buddy of mine bought a crank from a seller and the only thing we could salvage was the stand, base and mounting brackets. The rust ruined the actual tensioner.

I hate when forum members share horror stories when they get duped. There are some quality deals out there. Good luck!!!

Even if you had to send it to TennisMachines.com guys, you'd only have to maybe spend another $100 or so to have that tension head working like new. It would still be worth the $100. I'm obviously amazed by such an inexpensive machine listing.

BigGriff 07-02-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak95_00 (Post 6686512)
Even if you had to send it to TennisMachines.com guys, you'd only have to maybe spend another $100 or so to have that tension head working like new. It would still be worth the $100. I'm obviously amazed by such an inexpensive machine listing.

Yeah $100 is a steal! Awesome deal.

ChadW 07-03-2012 04:16 AM

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

Great information and just what I needed to hear. The Zebest looks to be in the best shape (of the cranks), but I was worried about the quality, though the seller says he uses it a lot.

I knew the Ektelon was the best brand, but was concerned about the age, but again, it's been put to use recently, so I guess it's functional. He said he has to add a pound to get the tension right, and that there's a little rust on the crank arm. Should that be a warning?

Then I was deciding that the newer Gamma might be the way to go even though I liked the ease of learning on a crank.

Thanks again for your help. I'll be sure to be around asking a lot more questions with pictures of my 'new' stringer!

dak95_00 07-03-2012 04:45 AM

Ektelon. They are easy to calibrate. It's only $100! I might have the owner's manual in a .pdf too.

MAX PLY 07-03-2012 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChadW (Post 6687427)
THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

Great information and just what I needed to hear. The Zebest looks to be in the best shape (of the cranks), but I was worried about the quality, though the seller says he uses it a lot.

I knew the Ektelon was the best brand, but was concerned about the age, but again, it's been put to use recently, so I guess it's functional. He said he has to add a pound to get the tension right, and that there's a little rust on the crank arm. Should that be a warning?

Then I was deciding that the newer Gamma might be the way to go even though I liked the ease of learning on a crank.

Thanks again for your help. I'll be sure to be around asking a lot more questions with pictures of my 'new' stringer!

Good luck with that. I am glad it looks like it will be going to an interested and enthusiastic stringer. I have the H Manual in pdf so I am happy to get that to you if you need it (pretty much the same).

Irvin 07-03-2012 05:33 AM

If you never plan to string fan pattern rackets, use ATW patterns, or use the short side for the top cross or two I would go with one of the glide bar machines.

If not the fixed clamps 602 is your best bet.

ChadW 07-03-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAX PLY (Post 6687523)
Good luck with that. I am glad it looks like it will be going to an interested and enthusiastic stringer. I have the H Manual in pdf so I am happy to get that to you if you need it (pretty much the same).

I could really use the manual. Finding everything I'll need on the UTubes might prove futile.

ChadW 07-03-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 6687629)
If you never plan to string fan pattern rackets, use ATW patterns, or use the short side for the top cross or two I would go with one of the glide bar machines.

If not the fixed clamps 602 is your best bet.

Thanks for your opinion, Irvin. Your expertise and videos are greatly appreciated.