Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How many balls in shorts? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=430522)

ThomasTerrible 07-02-2012 02:56 PM

How many balls in shorts?

Now please avoid the temptation of commenting on a 2 ball difference between genders.

What I would like to know is:
How many balls will generally fit into the pockets of tennis shorts?

The two pairs of shorts I use (beach shorts) can take 2 in each pocket, and if I had thinner legs, I could probably hold 3 in each. It's a hell of a bother to hunt for balls all the time, so I won't even consider buying "tennis shorts" if they have too small pockets..

SoCalJay 07-02-2012 03:03 PM

I think 2 is pretty standard but I can fit a third in my Nike shorts without having to worry too much about having one fall out. Adidas, not so much (in my experience anyway).

OldFedIsOld 07-02-2012 03:13 PM

Tennis shorts are made to carry 2 balls, that's all you really need in a match. You can try some golf pants, I have some pleated ones that can carry up to 5 balls on one side without it being too loose or tight.

ThomasTerrible 07-02-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldFedIsOld (Post 6686058)
Tennis shorts are made to carry 2 balls, that's all you really need in a match. You can try some golf pants, I have some pleated ones that can carry up to 5 balls on one side without it being too loose or tight.

Fast answers as always here:)

2 balls, as in one per pocket?

Yes, I agree it's what you "need" in a match, but during practice it's pretty bothersome to hunt for balls... Guess I may have to stick to the beach variant. Super light and comfy, though not quite "stretchy" enough.

Ronaldo 07-02-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasTerrible (Post 6686100)
Fast answers as always here:)

2 balls, as in one per pocket?

Yes, I agree it's what you "need" in a match, but during practice it's pretty bothersome to hunt for balls... Guess I may have to stick to the beach variant. Super light and comfy, though not quite "stretchy" enough.

Try Adidas TechFit shorts, stretch enough that 4-5 balls can fit in each pocket. Not that I need more than one ball.

Say Chi Sin Lo 07-02-2012 03:48 PM

Somewhere in London, I'm sure Andy Murray is paying close attention to this thread.

kimguroo 07-02-2012 04:25 PM

4 balls for general shorts.
usually tennis shorts can hold 4-5 balls.
some of shorts have deeper pockets which might be able to hold 6 balls.
when I made Arrow-up shorts, I made one side for deeper pocket so it can hold 6 balls and the other side for 5 balls ^_^

For the practice purpose, 4-5 balls might be enough space.
For the match, no more than 2 balls.
I was very surprised to see murray dropped a ball from his pocket twice...
I don't know how that happen (usually pocket can hold one ball perfectly:confused: )

Big_Dangerous 07-02-2012 04:37 PM

Yeah if I'm playing a match, then I try to never have more than 2 balls in my pocket, in most cases it's just 1.

If I'm just hitting around, then I don't care how many balls I have in my pockets.

OldFedIsOld 07-02-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimguroo (Post 6686196)
4 balls for general shorts.
usually tennis shorts can hold 4-5 balls.
some of shorts have deeper pockets which might be able to hold 6 balls.
when I made Arrow-up shorts, I made one side for deeper pocket so it can hold 6 balls and the other side for 5 balls ^_^

I was very surprised to see murray dropped a ball from his pocket twice...
I don't know how that happen (usually pocket can hold one ball perfectly:confused: )

I must be wearing very tight short then, because I can only jam in 2 balls in the pockets. Murray might have installed a device in his pocket so that when he is about to lose a point it ejects the ball from the pocket. :)

Ronaldo 07-02-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 6686129)
Somewhere in London, I'm sure Andy Murray is paying close attention to this thread.

A Real Man wears a cup, http://321polo.net/wp-content/upload...allholder2.png

6-2/6-4/6-0 07-02-2012 08:31 PM

I prefer to wear the Patagonia 9Trails shorts and can fit 2 balls in each pocket. If I feel like I need more room, I have some of the Patagonia Baggies shorts, I can fit 6-7 balls in each pocket of those, but typically just fill the left pocket due to the weight of a dozen tennis balls dragging down my shorts and the fact that I'm right handed keep my racket in my right hand a majority of the time that I'm on the court.

Andyroo10567 07-04-2012 07:17 PM

My Prince shorts can hold 6 on each. But i usually just carry 3 because while moving around, it keeps hitting my legs and gets annoying.

ductrung3993 07-04-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimguroo (Post 6686196)

This :)

10char

frunk 07-04-2012 10:13 PM

I think I've stuffed 4 balls in shorts before but movement is limited obviously. I'd say 2 normally, 3 max.