Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   My Wise 2086 Tension Head Died!!! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=430643)

BigGriff 07-03-2012 12:43 PM

My Wise 2086 Tension Head Died!!!

Horrible timing for my Wise 2086 to die :(

Strung up a few sticks. Grabbed a beer came back and my display was blank. Only thing lit up on the display was the decimal point. I consider myself tech savvy so I checked my outlet with a volt meter and everything was fine. Disconnected the wiring and gave it another try and no dice. The panel and other buttons were completely unresponsive and the lit decimal point was all I saw.

My history with Herb hasn't been as rocky as some of the other posters but I am starting to have issues with the durability of the tension heads. This

I bought my first Wise in April of 08, and had a replacement one sent to me four months later. Used it regularly for 2 years or so and then boxed it up for a little over a year because I was Deployed to Afghanistan.

Is this the normal life span of these add on tension heads? Looks like I'm going to be on tension head number 3:roll:

The 2 year limited warranty is up so I am expecting to get the shaft on repairs or replacement parts.

As a side note: I called the support line and they were quick to tell me to mail it back. I got the typical follow the directions on our website response.

When the tension head is operational it is and awesome addition to my machine but I may go back to a crank if they quote me at some outrageous price.

Irvin 07-03-2012 12:49 PM

Check the output of the converter or input power to the Wise. Is the green light on on the converter?

BigGriff 07-03-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 6689107)
Check the output of the converter or input power to the Wise. Is the green light on on the converter?

The light is green the converter is functioning. I even tested that with my volt meter.

mad dog1 07-03-2012 01:24 PM

i'm thinking the total repair bill including shipping will be ~$100. $25 to ship to, $25 to ship back, and $50 or so to repair the unit.

Irvin 07-03-2012 02:00 PM

^^Sounds like a good guess to me.

BigGriff 07-03-2012 06:30 PM

Yeah I called Fedex and UPS and they quoted my around $50 to ship the unit to the company and back. I am not sure what the bill will be yet. I will sent it after the 4th of July.

diredesire 07-04-2012 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGriff (Post 6689914)
Yeah I called Fedex and UPS and they quoted my around $50 to ship the unit to the company and back. I am not sure what the bill will be yet. I will sent it after the 4th of July.

I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of the device, but it would probably fit in a USPS Priority flat rate box (maaaaaybe even a medium, but I doubt it). The large is ~16.95 I believe, and you can print out the postage from your computer, and mail from your home (carrier pickup). I ship over 90% USPS, it's just way easier for me :)

BigGriff 07-04-2012 04:22 AM

^I usually use USPS but their boxes are a bit flimsy.

I don't feel as bad about this situation because I'm about to buy a mint condition Prince Neos 1000 for $300. A buddy of mine is getting rid of his machine. He doesn't play the game anymore. The machine never saw much use since he only strung for himself. I know he wants to get rid of the machine.

dak95_00 07-04-2012 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGriff (Post 6690804)
^I usually use USPS but their boxes are a bit flimsy.

I don't feel as bad about this situation because I'm about to buy a mint condition Prince Neos 1000 for $300. A buddy of mine is getting rid of his machine. He doesn't play the game anymore. The machine never saw much use since he only strung for himself. I know he wants to get rid of the machine.

Lucky! I'm waiting patiently for such a deal on a nice stringer. I just don't want glide bars. If I were to get glide bars, the NEOS 1000 is the machine I'd get. BTW, I've never seen the angled floating clamps for fan patterns.

Irvin 07-04-2012 05:17 AM

I can't imagine angled floating clamps but they do have angled glide bars.

dak95_00 07-04-2012 05:24 AM

I haven't seen those either!

I guess it's the Universal Prince clamps and the center can slide out and be interchanged w/ an angled center. Seems like a good idea to me.

Not intentionally hijacking this thread but do you have pics of the angled glide bars?

dak95_00 07-04-2012 05:29 AM

Found them! That's changed my entire perspective on my next stringer!

Irvin 07-04-2012 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak95_00 (Post 6691066)
I haven't seen those either!

I guess it's the Universal Prince clamps and the center can slide out and be interchanged w/ an angled center. Seems like a good idea to me.

Not intentionally hijacking this thread but do you have pics of the angled glide bars?

That's them it is an upgrade for a machine. Not so sure I would get them for costs versus use. Not a lot of fan rackets out there.

My biggest complaint about glide bars is switching from mains to crosses. I do like the speed of the glide bar machines.

EDIT The glide bar machines are also good for Prince rackets if the bar for the crosses goes all the way across. I am pretty sure there is a YouTube video showing that upgrade.

dak95_00 07-04-2012 05:44 AM

He's come up w/ a swivel clamp upgrade but hasn't priced them yet as I could see.

Irvin 07-04-2012 05:48 AM

Seems like it would not be hard to put swivel clamp rails on a glide bar table. All you need is a slot.

EDIT You could also build a brake system into the table and get a Wise. By the time you are done you would have a nice machine you could take a picture of and tell everyone how you built it. It would only take a few weeks of your time and lots of money unless you get all used parts. I would just go for a NEOS 1500.

BigGriff 07-04-2012 07:36 AM

I already have an Alpha Apex 2 so I'm not too concerned about fan patterns. I can't remember the last time I strung a fan patterned stick? Hmm maybe about 2 years.

I won't need to modify a thing. I get a mint Neos 1k for 3 bills, the manual, and all the parts. All I need to do is calibrate and get to stringing. If I run into a fan patterned granny stick I have some nice Stringway Fliers for that.

I agree with you Dire on the cost effectiveness issues with modifying the Neos.

bechris 10-02-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGriff (Post 6691722)
I already have an Alpha Apex 2 so I'm not too concerned about fan patterns. I can't remember the last time I strung a fan patterned stick? Hmm maybe about 2 years.

I won't need to modify a thing. I get a mint Neos 1k for 3 bills, the manual, and all the parts. All I need to do is calibrate and get to stringing. If I run into a fan patterned granny stick I have some nice Stringway Fliers for that.

I agree with you Dire on the cost effectiveness issues with modifying the Neos.

Hi, were you able to have your Wise Tension Head serviced? How much did it cost if you have it serviced. Mine also died and its out of warranty already. I just pulls around 10lbs.

Irvin 10-02-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bechris (Post 6931303)
Hi, were you able to have your Wise Tension Head serviced? How much did it cost if you have it serviced. Mine also died and its out of warranty already. I just pulls around 10lbs.

Repair cost will depend on the problem and shipping costs will depend on the method used and distance.

coolblue123 10-02-2012 09:56 AM

@Irvin I am considering buying one of these. My dropweight is taking a toll on my patience.
How long do these last? Do they have a bad track record for repairs?

Irvin 10-02-2012 10:46 AM

Well I have had mine for about 7 years how. Seems to be still working fine for me.