Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Summer circuit (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=430664)

jaggy 07-03-2012 03:55 PM

Summer circuit

Anyone planning to go? I have one here at the end of the month then the masters, I plan to look in at both

ClarkC 07-18-2012 02:32 PM

Draws, schedules and results can be found here.

jaggy 07-19-2012 08:53 AM

This has not been the livliest of threads but next week I will pop along to watch the local one.

Satsuma Illini 07-19-2012 09:20 AM

I've been following the Circuit closely but I have been posting the Illini results in the Illini thread.

jaggy 07-29-2012 07:05 AM

Went along this morning, mens field is weak and womens a bit stronger, nice to see it again though

tball2day 07-29-2012 12:32 PM

Ya a lot of ITA summer events are very weak draws. Good there are events to play for some, but they certainly don't attract a strong field. They seem to have that rep, I asked a couple juniors if they were doing any and they said, no that is B team stuff.

jaggy 07-29-2012 01:52 PM

It does seem like an idea that has outlasted it's sell by date.

Satsuma Illini 07-29-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggy (Post 6760898)
It does seem like an idea that has outlasted it's sell by date.

It's a great idea with lots of potential, but the schools need to support it more or it's not go last. Shame really. I think it's a great chance for those who don't go on the Futures tour during the summer.

ClarkC 07-29-2012 04:11 PM

Like all tennis tournaments, there has to be a payoff. The overall winners of the summer circuit (singles and doubles) get entry into the ITA All-American tournament in October. The runners-up get into the qualifying at ITA AA.

Top 30 (or so) players will figure that they are getting into the ITA AA because of ranking. So, you can only attract the guys who are a little lower. Maybe they need to add more main draw, qualifying, and pre-qualifying spots based on Summer Circuit results to attract more top 100 but not top 30 players.

floridatennisdude 07-30-2012 03:19 AM

^^^the powerhouse schools will oppose this. Either to get their players rested and healed in the only down time for college tennis or to be able to encourage playing pro circuit events. It is good in theory, but it won't increase the level of play dramatically.

Tennishacker 07-31-2012 07:52 AM

Summer series should be held in August.
Most college kids are either resting/vacationing in July.

Summer series beneficial for incoming freshman, and juniors.

andfor 07-31-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 6765496)
Summer series should be held in August.
Most college kids are either resting/vacationing in July.

Summer series beneficial for incoming freshman, and juniors.

I heard they were all interning on Wall St.

tball2day 07-31-2012 02:29 PM

I know 2 kinds of summer tennis players. The first group is playing all over the country or in Europe, etc., the second group is actually doing internships as they are coasting into their final year and have lost that lovin' feeling. I guess there is a third group, those playing summer circuit, but those are sorta like the ones on vacation and resting I think. It's pretty chill.

floridatennisdude 08-02-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tball2day (Post 6766441)
I know 2 kinds of summer tennis players. The first group is playing all over the country or in Europe, etc., the second group is actually doing internships as they are coasting into their final year and have lost that lovin' feeling. I guess there is a third group, those playing summer circuit, but those are sorta like the ones on vacation and resting I think. It's pretty chill.

2/3 of college tennis players would take a lot of offense to this post.

Gordon Watson lost to fellow Gator Michael Alford in the final of the Gainesville Summer ITA. Both have been hard at work this summer working with our new coaches on getting better. Not just chillin.

jaggy 08-06-2012 04:23 AM

Well the masters comes back to Btown this weekend so usually the standard is a lot higher (although still mostly lower order players). I will keep you posted about what I see.

Satsuma Illini 08-09-2012 12:38 PM

Any idea when the draws are coming out?

jaggy 08-11-2012 02:56 PM

Well I went along today and enjoyed it, mild day for summer in Indiana and saw some fun matches. Only note would be seeing Nick Chappell as a 3 seed, as a junior his stock was so high, I am sorry he could not take it further or at least has not so far.

ClarkC 08-11-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkC (Post 6736609)
Draws, schedules and results can be found here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satsuma Illini (Post 6794434)
Any idea when the draws are coming out?

My observation has been that the draws get posted a couple of days after each event is over. Seriously, it has been that bad.

ClarkC 08-11-2012 03:07 PM

Indiana has the draws at their site and is not updating the USTA site. That is what has happened in most of these summer circuit tourneys.

Satsuma Illini 08-12-2012 03:47 AM

Yeah, I've given up on the USTA and ITA sites and I've been going directly to the host schools' sites from the beginning. USTA has got to have the most unorganized, difficult cornmaze website I have ever seen.