Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Andy Griffith dies (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=430670)

jaggy 07-03-2012 05:13 PM

Andy Griffith dies
 
Age 86, sad day.

Ronaldo 07-03-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggy (Post 6689726)
Age 86, sad day.

Did He pass away in Mt. Airy?http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjcnrd/462255224/

jswinf 07-03-2012 07:15 PM

I liked Andy. They sure put him in the ground quick, though...hope he was really dead. :shock:

borg number one 07-03-2012 07:34 PM

That was sad to hear. The Andy Griffith Show and Matlock are two of my favorite TV shows. I loved those honest, old-fashioned, but still very clever characters he played. Rest in peace.

stringertom 07-03-2012 08:53 PM

I grew up as a near-contemporary of the Opie character and looked up to the sheriff of Mayberry almost as if he were my real Dad. I will sorely miss him. RIP!

Fearsome Forehand 07-04-2012 08:06 AM

That old show is still one of the best things on TV some 50 years hence. Great characters. (Barney Fife, Floyd the Barber, Aunt Bea, Goober, Gomer, Opie, Ernest T. Bass, et al.) Well written, simple plot lines that were generally rather funny without being vulgar or crass.

The ratings The AG Show drew (often 30MM+) were huge as a percentage of the US population which in 1960-68 was far less than now. Pre-cable and satellite TV, there were only 3 national networks and most markets only had 1 to 5 stations, that was it.

AG sort of stumbled into show business and was a huge star in the 1950's and 1960's; a very talented man who had a best selling comedy record in the 1950's, starred in a Broadway show (No Time for Sargeants) starred in a feature film (A Face in The Crowd) and then went into TV to star in two long running series.

He did a commercial for obamacare last year and he looked quite old but he was 86? at the time so no wonder. I wonder how much they paid him to do those ads? And now they can't use them anymore because he is dead. Yet another government miscue; basing an ad campaign on an 86 year old man.

Goober (Jim Lindsay) died a month or two ago.

From the same era, Don Grady, the "kid" who played the oldest son (Robbie) on My Three Sons died last week at 68!

Time marches on.

North 07-04-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 6689764)

No. He lived on Roanoke Island & that is where he died. I loved The Andy Griffith. Show & also grew up as a contemporary of Opie on the show. Good trivia fact is that the Andy Griffith show was the first ever spin-off show. It was a spin-off of the Danny Thomas show.

BHiC 07-04-2012 12:16 PM

Wow, that is sad to hear. I always love it when I occasionally stumble upon a re-run of the Andy Griffith Show on TV Land every now and then. Even in black and white, it is much more entertaining than 99.99% of what is on TV now.

jaggy 07-04-2012 12:46 PM

Otis is more my role model

Ronaldo 07-04-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggy (Post 6692759)
Otis is more my role model

His memory lives on, http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

stringertom 07-05-2012 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North (Post 6692583)
No. He lived on Roanoke Island & that is where he died. I loved The Andy Griffith. Show & also grew up as a contemporary of Opie on the show. Good trivia fact is that the Andy Griffith show was the first ever spin-off show. It was a spin-off of the Danny Thomas show.

Did it spin from "Make Room for Daddy"? I was watching ME-TV yesterday and they aired several shows in a row featuring Andy as a guest star...the "Make Room..." episode featured Danny and family being stopped by Sheriff Taylor in Mayberry for running a stop sign. Could this be the origin?

That tribute on ME was unique...one episode was a "Mod Squad" rerun with Andy as the guest star in a far-from-comedic role. The only laughs I got were from the 60's styles in hair, clothes and cars. Peggy Lipton sure was a hottie!

gavna 07-05-2012 04:39 AM

Gotta check out two movies from his past as well......A Face in The Crowd directed by Elia Kazan is an amazing movie and the character of "Lonesome Rhodes" played by Griffith is about as far away from Sheriff Taylor as you can get - scary thing is you can see popular folks today in the "lonesome Rhodes character. Story still rings true today with the way media can prop up folks.

No Time for Sargents is another classic with Griffith playing a "Jethro Bodine" type country bumpkin drafted into the U.S. Air Force (what he really wants is "infantry" and it's one of the running gags in the flick). Also stars the late Nick Adams - awesome funny movie.

North 07-05-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringertom (Post 6694277)
Did it spin from "Make Room for Daddy"? I was watching ME-TV yesterday and they aired several shows in a row featuring Andy as a guest star...the "Make Room..." episode featured Danny and family being stopped by Sheriff Taylor in Mayberry for running a stop sign. Could this be the origin?

Yep. That was the pilot for the Andy Griffith show. It was really a multi-generation TV dynasty, with Gomer Pyle & Mayberry RFD then spinning off from Andy Griffith.

Alchemy-Z 07-05-2012 04:43 AM

Well...you can be sure holly wood will pump out a movie in the next year or two.

Moose Malloy 07-05-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Gotta check out two movies from his past as well......A Face in The Crowd directed by Elia Kazan is an amazing movie and the character of "Lonesome Rhodes" played by Griffith is about as far away from Sheriff Taylor as you can get - scary thing is you can see popular folks today in the "lonesome Rhodes character. Story still rings true today with the way media can prop up folks.

agree. it was way ahead of its time.

weird Griffith did so few films.

LuckyR 07-05-2012 12:10 PM

Sad to hear it, but to be honest AG was in the "I thought he died a long time ago" category, ie he was well outside of the public eye.

West Coast Ace 07-05-2012 06:09 PM

Heard this trivia on the ESPN Mike & Mike show:

Jerry Seinfeld was a huge fan of the Andy Griffith show. Ever notice on 'Seinfeld' that all the characters greeted each other by saying 'hey ....' - Jerry's homage to Andy.

They also whistled along with the theme song AND played a version that Andy sang with words to it. Never knew that existed.

Freaking Otis!

Ronaldo 07-05-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Coast Ace (Post 6696344)
Heard this trivia on the ESPN Mike & Mike show:

Jerry Seinfeld was a huge fan of the Andy Griffith show. Ever notice on 'Seinfeld' that all the characters greeted each other by saying 'hey ....' - Jerry's homage to Andy.

They also whistled along with the theme song AND played a version that Andy sang with words to it. Never knew that existed.

Freaking Otis!

Otis Who!? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlC1P...feature=fvwrel

stringertom 07-06-2012 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 6696518)

This made me LOVeryL!

Dedans Penthouse 07-06-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 6691838)
That old show is still one of the best things on TV some 50 years hence. Great characters. (Barney Fife, Floyd the Barber, Aunt Bea, Goober, Gomer, Opie, Ernest T. Bass, et al.) Well written, simple plot lines that were generally rather funny without being vulgar or crass.
Goober (Jim Lindsay) died a month or two ago.

........From the same era, Don Grady, the "kid" who played the oldest son (Robbie) on My Three Sons died last week at 68!

Time marches on.

Indeed, a great show. As for "Robbie" on My Three Sons, I believe he originally was the middle son (Steve, Robbie & Chip) and later assumed the oldest son role when Steve had left and they added Ernie, the runt with the coke-bottle glasses ---> when William Demerest as grouchy "Uncle Charlie" replaced William Frawley (of "I Love Lucy" fame) who originally played the role of "Bub."



Ronaldo, great Otis jumping rope clip:

"Ya ain't gonna string me up jus' for a little drinkin', that ain't right ......... slow it down and let me in or I'll go out and get some GIN!"

LOL.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse