Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Please Tsonga, come back to your old racquet (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=431256)

15_ounce 07-07-2012 05:08 PM

Please Tsonga, come back to your old racquet

That Babolat racquet of his is just wild and less controllable. He played better with that old Wilson racquet.. (was it K Blade..) I reckon he would play well with Wilson Pro Staff 95 sq in.

CRWV 07-07-2012 06:15 PM

The unforced errors in the Murray match were him, not the stick.

he was missing by 3 feet, not 3 inches.

That said, I agree, especially if he plans on S&V'ing in the future (S&V on a stiff MP with poly?, don't think so...)

Ramon 07-07-2012 06:28 PM

He's ranked higher now than he ever was, plus he had some big upset wins the last couple of years with the APDGT.

ZeroSkid 07-07-2012 08:06 PM

I have to agree with the OP, it suit his style of play much better

colan5934 07-07-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRWV (Post 6704414)
That said, I agree, especially if he plans on S&V'ing in the future (S&V on a stiff MP with poly?, don't think so...)

I'm fairly sure that he uses Gut mains with ALU crosses (maybe ALU rough)

CRWV 07-07-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colan5934 (Post 6704649)
I'm fairly sure that he uses Gut mains with ALU crosses (maybe ALU rough)

my bad.

Still, how cool would it be if he brought back the 6.0 85 and started serve and volleying? :lol:

NYCtennis1 07-07-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroSkid (Post 6704626)

I tend to think frames fit the player rather than the way he/she plays.

got spin? 07-12-2012 09:20 PM

Does anyone actually have or have held his frame? You can customize just about any racket to play like somthing else, and Jo is with P1, im sure Nate and his boys rigged somthing up for him inside the hoop and the grip. No way does Jo-Willy play with that pool noodle of a stick

colan5934 07-12-2012 09:50 PM

Somebody a year or so ago posted pictures of Tsonga's actual stick. I'm sure you could search it. And he's a pro, he can play with whatever he wants. He just made the Wimbledon semis and was very much in the match against Murray who played quite well. I don't think that if he was using his old Pro Staff that he would have necessarily done any better or worse. When you get to that level, equipment matters, but not as much as how you're playing on that given day.

asiank90 07-13-2012 12:55 AM

Up&comer 07-13-2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroSkid (Post 6704626)

I don't think he would switch if he didn't feel like it helped him or, if nothing else, he would be able to keep up his level.

It's also not the playing style that a racket suits, but the player. I love serving and volleying, chipping and charging, crushing and net rushing, etc. I've always played with an APD and have recently switched over to a prince exo3 tour. Neither of them are rackets known for their net play, but they were what felt the most comfortable to me. Because of that, I played and still play m best twnnis with them.

Blitzball 07-16-2012 08:40 AM

What the heck? I think he's been playing great with the Babolat. Look at where his is now! He can somehow flatten out the ball really well and generate a ton of power with it.

mpournaras 07-16-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzball (Post 6730640)
What the heck? I think he's been playing great with the Babolat. Look at where his is now! He can somehow flatten out the ball really well and generate a ton of power with it.

Well APDGT are very powerful rackets and all pros and such can flatten out their hits regardless of what racket they use. He could go the same with a pure storm limited haha

colan5934 07-16-2012 04:08 PM

asiank90, I should have specified. while that is his actual painted wilson (hps 95 i think), I was referring to his actual APDGT+

*Val* 07-16-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 15_ounce (Post 6704298)
That Babolat racquet of his is just wild and less controllable. He played better with that old Wilson racquet.. (was it K Blade..) I reckon he would play well with Wilson Pro Staff 95 sq in.

I agree, I think his play just looked better, more controlled and measured, with his old Wilson racquet. Yes, he's been very successful in recent years with the APDGT, but how do we know that is because of the racquet, rather than in spite of it? I've been puzzled by his racquet choice ever since he switched, I mean, a APDGT may suit a noob pusher like nadal, but for an aggressive player like Tsonga who already has tons of power?

I think it worked very well for him on clay this year against Djokovic, but for his all-round game I think a Wilson suited him better. His game just looked wild in the semis against Murray this Wimbledon, and the racquet just looked kind of oversized for him.

colan5934 07-16-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Val* (Post 6731783)
a noob pusher like nadal

I find it funny that you view Nadal as a pusher. I'm not a ******* by any means, but if you've ever watched him play--in person, this is much more evident--he goes after the ball ferociously. He does use a lot of spin, but he hits the ball SO HARD. He uses angles and moves his opponent around until he can find an opening to hit a winner. His aggressiveness comes from his tactics. He does not bully the ball around the court like Tsonga does (not taking away from Jo's game at all). It's not "pushing" if your opponent is constantly on the defensive.

iMpro 07-16-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colan5934 (Post 6731918)
I find it funny that you view Nadal as a pusher. I'm not a ******* by any means, but if you've ever watched him play--in person, this is much more evident--he goes after the ball ferociously. He does use a lot of spin, but he hits the ball SO HARD. He uses angles and moves his opponent around until he can find an opening to hit a winner. His aggressiveness comes from his tactics. He does not bully the ball around the court like Tsonga does (not taking away from Jo's game at all). It's not "pushing" if your opponent is constantly on the defensive.

+ 1 to that. Pushers don't bend a tennis ball around the net post for a winner. Also, *******? haha, is this the accepted name for Nadal fans now?

CRWV 07-16-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colan5934 (Post 6731918)

Seconded, and I don't even care for his play (respect it a lot though).

I want to see Tsonga with Fed's blx 6.1 90 and string setup. I think Tsonga could be the bigger, stronger, faster Federer. (I don't really, but similar. stronger but with less elegance and fluidity of movement)

colan5934 07-16-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iMpro (Post 6731971)
+ 1 to that. Pushers don't bend a tennis ball around the net post for a winner. Also, *******? haha, is this the accepted name for Nadal fans now?

Haha, I've heard it used a bit to describe Nadal fans who feel he can do no wrong. They'll make excuses about his losses and praise him as the best player ever when he wins, regardless of who he played, even if he said in a press conference that there was no excuse for his loss. I'm certainly a Nadal fan, but I'm not utterly dismayed when he loses.

Doublebounce 07-17-2012 06:27 AM

does anyone honestly believe that he will have better results with the blade? he is number 5 in the world right now; i don't think its a stick change that will help him overtake any of the big 4.