Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Federer: new post Wimbledon interview - analyses Andy Murray... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=431511)

Nathaniel_Near 07-08-2012 10:43 PM

Federer: new post Wimbledon interview - analyses Andy Murray...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGuD-XmmgSk

Nothing in depth, just thought some might find it interesting.

Rozroz 07-08-2012 11:00 PM

he'll never get to Connors' titles.. :(

joeri888 07-08-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rozroz (Post 6711430)

No, i think he wins 10 maybe 15 more, mostly smaller ones

Nathaniel_Near 07-09-2012 12:06 AM

If Federer could find a way to make his returns more consistent then he'd be back to absolute prime levels. He's winning 60% of points from the second serve this year and holding 91% of the time. He breaks serve 28% of the time, which is below some earlier years where he was above 30%.

paulorenzo 07-09-2012 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rozroz (Post 6711430)

:( lol, i wonder why sportscenter would include that stat? although it was more informative than the usual slam count breakdown.

paulorenzo 07-09-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathaniel_Near (Post 6711576)
If Federer could find a way to make his returns more consistent then he'd be back to absolute prime levels. He's winning 60% of points from the second serve this year and holding 91% of the time. He breaks serve 28% of the time, which is below some earlier years where he was above 30%.

good stats for fed. if only he can get some of his speed back so he can still chase down some incredible gets. then again, that has't been his style of play for a while.

roundiesee 07-09-2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathaniel_Near (Post 6711576)

Good points; I think his problem is still his poor breakpoint conversion rate. He had so many against Murray but converted so few. :(

forzamilan90 07-09-2012 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulorenzo (Post 6711607)
:( lol, i wonder why sportscenter would include that stat? although it was more informative than the usual slam count breakdown.

that stat had no right being there....should have done the slam rankings instead showing off 17

Nathaniel_Near 07-09-2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulorenzo (Post 6711611)
good stats for fed. if only he can get some of his speed back so he can still chase down some incredible gets. then again, that has't been his style of play for a while.

I think you underestimate Fed. He made many truly staggering gets against both Nole and Murray in the semis and finals of Wimbledon. While he has been a little faster in the past, right now his movement is incredible and his footwork is so grounded, precise and active. In the semis against Nole his movement looked roughly on a par with Nole's and without the sliding and inaccuracies. I just wish he could find a *little* extra on the return. His forehand was glorious, so controlled and accurate but still explosive - not as explosive as it once was but his control and precision was as good as you could ever wish and his footwork to reach his forehands on time was amazing. That hooked crosscourt forehand on the full stretch that he was constantly missing in 2010 and 11, it's back and consistent and very very effective!

His backhand, while not the shotmaking machine it has been in the past, was hugely solid, reliable and consistent in the latter stages of this tournie. Also, the slice backhand was exceptionally reliable and his acute skidding angles were unusually consistent and precise, even compared to past years. There was just no place to go to against Federer in the semis and finals to gain consistent cheap points! Also the clarity of thought and mind tactically and spiritually from Federer, as well as his determination and focus, was outstanding. Last but not least, his net approaches were sensible and his volleying was often truly inspired. There was much to be positive about and indeed there has been for some months now. This is the confirmation of Federer's current rise and may it continue.

Nathaniel_Near 07-09-2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roundiesee (Post 6711614)
Good points; I think his problem is still his poor breakpoint conversion rate. He had so many against Murray but converted so few. :(

True, but at the same time in that one game where he had 6 breakpoints and only took 1, he still won the game. It wasn't like they were spread over 3 games and he failed 3 times to break Murray, but instead they all came in 1 game and eventually he found the break. So, in a way you could look at that instance as being a 100% breakpoint conversion rate, as all that mattered was he had a game where he had chances to break, and in the end he did.

I don't disagree though, I still have a bit of a problem with that and his returns in general but other than that, ALL other aspects of his game are in a very good place right now.

tata 07-09-2012 02:05 AM

He still did the right things in that long game. He took his chances on the 2nd serve. He blasted his backhand returns and stepped around for the forehand. It wasn't perfectly executed but it was the right play.

paulorenzo 07-09-2012 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathaniel_Near (Post 6711738)
I think you underestimate Fed. He made many truly staggering gets against both Nole and Murray in the semis and finals of Wimbledon. While he has been a little faster in the past, right now his movement is incredible and his footwork is so grounded, precise and active. In the semis against Nole his movement looked roughly on a par with Nole's and without the sliding and inaccuracies. I just wish he could find a *little* extra on the return. His forehand was glorious, so controlled and accurate but still explosive - not as explosive as it once was but his control and precision was as good as you could ever wish and his footwork to reach his forehands on time was amazing. That hooked crosscourt forehand on the full stretch that he was constantly missing in 2010 and 11, it's back and consistent and very very effective!

His backhand, while not the shotmaking machine it has been in the past, was hugely solid, reliable and consistent in the latter stages of this tournie. Also, the slice backhand was exceptionally reliable and his acute skidding angles were unusually consistent and precise, even compared to past years. There was just no place to go to against Federer in the semis and finals to gain consistent cheap points! Also the clarity of thought and mind tactically and spiritually from Federer, as well as his determination and focus, was outstanding. Last but not least, his net approaches were sensible and his volleying was often truly inspired. There was much to be positive about and indeed there has been for some months now. This is the confirmation of Federer's current rise and may it continue.

his foot work has been great this year, very precise and always looking to take advantage of it. his backhand has indeed looked great. i thought it already looked great against djokovic in the semis, but he was blasting it in rallies yesterday that were already 8,9 shots long. truly a sight to see. everything about that final was great for any fed fan. its as if the fruition of fed's desire to improve himself as a player all came together in that match.

i may have miscommunicated what i meant in my previous post. fed is playing so close to his prime right now, and even better in some aspects of his game (aggressive mentality, aggressive return games, and perhaps even better footwork than before) that it would be great to see him somehow regain his foot speed to truly be on level with his prime again. not necesarilly that he needs the extra footspeed in order to win, since he chooses to play more efficiently nowadays, but it would just be a very entertaining thing to see.

smoledman 07-09-2012 03:01 AM

I'd say the area in his game that he's lost is that explosive ability to hit winners from behind the baseline.

Sri 07-09-2012 03:04 AM

Nice interview. He revealed that he has his career planned out till end of 2013. Is that how far in advance most guys plan their tours?

Sentinel 07-09-2012 03:28 AM

Nice interview, lots of respect for other #1's.

TeflonTom 07-09-2012 03:29 AM

jimmy was an unusual guy. dont know many ex-champs whod be happy to keep playing as long as he did, mostly gettin knocked out in early rounds of slams. the guy loved tennis prolly more than anyone, i think

i kinda feel like if fed played til he was 40 n entered a lotta 250 n 500 tourneys, he would have a decent shot at jimmy's record. but he's not that kinda guy. he has never been real interested in lesser silverware.