Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   White shorts always see-through? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=431693)

Wuppy 07-09-2012 08:01 PM

White shorts always see-through?

So I bought 2 pair of white shorts. One were some cheapies at Target, another were some decent Head brand white ones specifically for tennis. Both, you can see the white pockets through the shorts! In fact, if I wear patterned underwear (boxers, not briefs, to let Mr. Happy breathe of course), the pattern shows through both. I have to wear light grey underwear with these shorts.

Is this pretty standard for white shorts?

I didn't see players at Wimbledon this year looking like this...

BreakPoint 07-09-2012 08:08 PM

Yes, they are see-through. Just wear white underwear and you're all set.

ThePro101 07-09-2012 08:09 PM

Most white tennis shorts, at least from a tennis company, will have a white mesh lining through the entire short, to prevent that... Try Wilson or Adidas ones.

Good luck!

Vlad_C 07-09-2012 08:39 PM

Nike shorts are the worst. If you want to impress the ladies at your local park, try going commando in a pair of white Nike tennis shorts. :shock:

Adidas are ok, I bought a pair last year, they're fine, but I still use them with white underwear only, just in case.

syc23 07-09-2012 10:37 PM

That's one reason why I don't buy white shorts. If I did, I would wear white compression shorts underneath.

Bartelby 07-09-2012 10:40 PM

I'm too well-equipped to wear white.

gamerx52986 07-10-2012 03:38 AM

I have one pair of Nike shorts in white and recently bought two pair of Under Armour in white and both brands have a mesh lining to prevent just that. Still...white shorts are by far the last color choice I purchase.

ArliHawk 07-10-2012 03:42 AM

Lacoste shorts have a great lining in them. As for the compression shorts underneath, use grey. For some reason, they are less see through than white.

texacali 07-10-2012 06:58 AM

I have one pair of white (unlined) adidas shorts and wear black or grey compressions with them. Do the same with any of my shorts that are mesh-type material.

gully 07-10-2012 07:09 AM

I remember one of Agassi's post-match press conferences at Wimbledon some years back:

(Female) Reporter: Andre, have you noticed that your white shorts, while adhering to the club's dress code, are rather ... ahem ... transparent?

Agassi: No ... but apprently you have.

WildVolley 07-10-2012 07:11 AM

It really depends on how thick the fabric is. The woven type shorts aren't necessarily see thru, but a lot of the thin fabric ones are when they get wet, as in the Djokovic picture.

I wear white compression shorts under my thin white shorts. White shorts are harder to keep looking clean and new, too.

syke 07-10-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartelby (Post 6715006)
I'm too well-equipped to wear white.

I suppose you're pretty hairy in your nether regions...

Shave or wax dude...

BreakPoint 07-10-2012 11:35 AM

I own tons of white tennis shorts and almost all of them are see-thorugh. I really don't see what the issue is. It's rare that you can also see through your underwear, even if your underwear is white. And if you wear colored underwear and people can see it through your white shorts, so what? People already know you wear underwear under your shorts whether they can see it or not. And if they can also see through your underwear, well, what are they really going to see that they haven't seen before? :wink:

The pros don't seem to mind as most pros wear white tennis shorts all the time even though there are huge crowds watching live and millions watching on TV. How many people are watching you play tennis?

tarkowski 07-10-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePro101 (Post 6714678)
Most white tennis shorts, at least from a tennis company, will have a white mesh lining through the entire short, to prevent that... Try Wilson or Adidas ones.

Good luck!

This! I own a few pair from Adidas that have a lining and are not see-through.

Lovely_Bone 07-10-2012 09:37 PM

I have a few white nike shorts, and they are. You just have to wear white undies or you are in for an awkward day lol

Epictennis 07-11-2012 07:11 PM

I have white Nike tennis shorts. I wear even black under armour compression shorts underneath and I still look fine :) Most people don't really take that much of a notice because it's.. well under armour. It's normal to wear compression shorts :)

robbo1970 07-12-2012 04:03 AM

Wear skin tone compression shorts....you'll look like an alien.

raphMODE 07-12-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildVolley (Post 6715690)
It really depends on how thick the fabric is. The woven type shorts aren't necessarily see thru, but a lot of the thin fabric ones are when they get wet, as in the Djokovic picture.

True!
I bought 2 Federer's white short :
- Spring 2011 (indian wells - grey sage lining on pockets)
- Summer 2011 (Madrid, Rome, Roland Garros - gridiron lining on pocket)
It's the same fabric and model - except for the lining color - but the summer one is more see-thru than spring !

Wuppy 07-13-2012 09:01 PM

The strange thing about the Head ones (got them on-sale, I think they're last-year's model) is that they have a bluish mesh in the back that prevents see-though, but none in the front! :confused:

Wuppy 07-24-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raphMODE (Post 6722488)
the summer one is more see-thru than spring !

That's strange