Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Oldest primary racquet folks are using? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=432277)

spazz 07-14-2012 07:50 AM

Oldest primary racquet folks are using?

I haven't ever found a racquet that suits me more than my old Ti Radical MP. I'm sort of under the impression that there hasn't been much in the way of game changing break-throughs for quite some time, or am I just naive here? Anyway, I was wondering just how old some folks' everyday racquets are getting. (Not necessarily including people who are lucky enough to be involved with wood racquet leagues, though that might be fun to hear about.)

Danstevens 07-14-2012 08:39 AM

I'm still sticking to my Head i.Prestige mids. I haven't been blown away by any of the recent Prestige iterations (although I haven't tried the newest one yet). I shall probably be making the switch soon though, before availability becomes too much of a problem.

rader023 07-14-2012 10:07 AM

radical tour xl.......what year is that 1995?

sansaephanh 07-14-2012 12:03 PM

i think POG mid is pretty common among the 4.5 crowd. Especially older players who enjoy to chip and charge all day. The OS is a pretty common stick for a number of USTA players ive seen as well.

Ross K 07-14-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rader023 (Post 6726448)
radical tour xl.......what year is that 1995?

Awesome frame, no wonder you're still playing with it.:wink:

struggle 07-14-2012 12:49 PM

not exactly vintage but i loaded up on cheap MG RAD MP's.

got that old feel, at least to me.

sargeinaz 07-14-2012 12:50 PM

I used a copper ace for about a year until I had a safin moment (still hate myself for that) and then an old Fischer pro 1 until i sold it. I don't buy the whole frames fatigue thing. If the grommets are good and/or I can get replacement, I actually prefer old frames. Still looking for a yonex r-22 in good condition actually

Mythos 07-14-2012 01:04 PM

Wilson Prostaff 6.0 85. I still play with racquets that i have had for over 20 years. I have not played with any of the asian models

OldFedIsOld 07-14-2012 01:05 PM

Pro Kennex Silver Ace 90, I think it was used in the early 90's late 80's?

Orion3 07-14-2012 01:53 PM

Pro staff 6.0 95
Can't believe how well they play.

NLBwell 07-14-2012 02:51 PM

My son was using my old Pro Staff 85 until it finally fatigue cracked. Let him try a bunch of rackets and that was the one he liked best. 27 years and about 15 of that as my only racket.

spazz 07-14-2012 04:30 PM

Got to admit I'm more than curious about those Pro Staff 85"s. I tried out the small head Dunlop a couple of years ago and liked the feel, but it was tough on my elbow. I got an old Prince Comp that I never used much which hasn't been out of the closet for a lont time, but probably deserves a new set of strings and a few swings.

dak95_00 07-14-2012 05:08 PM

I still use the POG mid. I have 6 of them. I've got 3 1984 models, 2 1987 models, and 1 current model. I interchange them w/o thought as they all feel the same to me.

As far as the Wilson 6.0 85s go, I always felt they were more tinny than the POG and had more power too. I don't play w/ dampeners and like the feel of the racquet vibration or lack of when it come to the POG and many other Prince racquets of the 80s era. They all feel solid and muted compared to the Wilson frames which felt solid but could also feel hollow or tinny too with the exception of the Stings. Those things were heavy solid beasts.

I'm w/ the OP as far as technology goes. II don't see any improvements made to the Wilson Tour 90 racquets I've used compared to the PS85 other than the size. They are good looking frames but I just never liked the feel.

There used to be a common phrase in tennis and it went something like this:
"It's not the racquet. It's the player."

I think too many people don't believe this but those of us using old sticks know it is still true.

hrstrat57 07-14-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spazz (Post 6726238)
I haven't ever found a racquet that suits me more than my old Ti Radical MP. I'm sort of under the impression that there hasn't been much in the way of game changing break-throughs for quite some time, or am I just naive here? Anyway, I was wondering just how old some folks' everyday racquets are getting. (Not necessarily including people who are lucky enough to be involved with wood racquet leagues, though that might be fun to hear about.)

ti Radical MP is flat out one of the best frames ever and still.

Super customizable and just rock solid.

I would bag those with no hesitation. 4" of lead at 3 and 9 and a leather grip and good to go!!!!

tball 07-14-2012 05:54 PM

Dunlop Professional 90. Black and Silver. Probably from the 80s. Bought it at a yard sale. Spec-wise, it's all wrong for me: too heavy, too flexible, too small, even the grip is wrong (not my size), but ...my game is fantastic with it. Everything clicks, and goes where I want it to.

Then Volkl Tour 10 MP.

robby c 07-14-2012 07:38 PM

Head Prestige Tour MP 102 (1997).
Robby C

CRWV 07-14-2012 08:14 PM

This thing with some Pro hurricane...total spin monster...

spazz 07-15-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrstrat57 (Post 6727083)
ti Radical MP is flat out one of the best frames ever and still.

Super customizable and just rock solid.

I would bag those with no hesitation. 4" of lead at 3 and 9 and a leather grip and good to go!!!!

Thanks for that feedback. I should be a little more adventurous in making a few adjustments. Heck, just varying the string tension a little seems to alter the trade off between power and control bigtime.

I intended to go to leather next time I visited the shop. I'll definitely give the tape a try.

HiRO 07-15-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion3 (Post 6726782)
Pro staff 6.0 95
Can't believe how well they play.

I basically started tennis with this stick. It's awesome! But its unfortunately overshadowed by its smaller brother...

Great serving and net racquet with its extreme HL balance. Easy access to spin, but lacked plow.

I finally switched for a few reasons. But I still have these laying around and will never let them go.

DunlopDomination 07-15-2012 02:40 PM

They aren't my primary now since I just replaced them with AG 4D 200 Tours but I got a pair of iRadicals from a thrift auction a while back and I really, really loved them. I recall hating the Ti Radical and strongly disliking the i.Prestige when I was actively playing before so I never tried them when they were new.

I was really floored at how much I liked them though and the two I got were very well matched to boot. If they were in better sh