Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Costco (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=432429)

r2473 07-15-2012 04:56 PM

Costco

Just wondering if the costco in your area has been (substantially) raising prices over the past few years like the ones in my area?

sometimes the quality of their product still make them a good buy, but certainly not always.

do you still feel costco is a "good deal"?

Fee 07-15-2012 05:19 PM

For the most part, yes. My two regular grocery stores are also raising prices, it's just a fact of life with the price of gas and the drought and everything else that's happening. Costco is still a pretty good deal for me, but I have to be careful when I buy produce there. Sometimes it goes to waste since its just my husband and I, and I hate when I let that happen.

Eph 07-15-2012 05:20 PM

In the Boston area, they raised prime rib eye to $17/lb but it's back down to its normal $13/lb

I haven't noticed other price increases. I mainly shop at Costco and Amazon for everything I need.

Will be interesting to see now that there is a new CEO...

r2473 07-15-2012 06:22 PM

i'll have to see if the prime ribeye is back down in my store. the choice (or regular for costco) ribeye was at $11 and pime was $18 last time i was there. they used to be $6-$8 and $13-$14 respectively.

i've seen similar price increases on other items. seemingly higher increases than what i'd consider "normal". wondered if it was just local or if this is what costco is doing across the nation (or if the increases are normal and i'm just imagining them to be unusually large)

Fee 07-15-2012 08:08 PM

Certain items are purchased and priced regionally, so that can also affect the prices. It's my understanding that beef is going to be all over the place for the next 12 months.

Eph 07-15-2012 08:32 PM

The way I see it is: Time is money and I rather just shop at Costco every 10-14 days rather than 3-5 stores looking for the best deals.

Besides, Costco treats their employees well and that is an atmosphere I appreciate.

Fifth Set 07-15-2012 08:58 PM

Good thread, I shop at Costco regularly (including their web-site) but sometimes have second thoughts.

The first downside is waste. It's not just food, as previously mentioned, because other things go bad, such as tennis balls and batteries.

The other is the way they push the big brands when you don't really need big brands. Examples of this include shampoo, soap, dishwasher/laundry detergents, etc. Sometimes the Kirkland "generic" is available, sometimes not.

I once asked a friend who had worked at Procter and Gamble if they hated Costco because of the margin pressure. I got quite an education. No, P&G loves Costco because they use it to sell huge quantities to (supposedly) cost-conscious people who might not otherwise buy their brands!

I have started buying things like the household goods listed above at the Dollar Store. My kids love going there anyway, I don't need name brands for those items and it is definitely cheaper per unit than Costco. Unfortunately, it's hopeless for tennis balls!

coolblue123 07-16-2012 04:21 AM

I am a huge costco fan! I was a costco employee too. I got through college with Costco paychecks.
The addage about if you have more, you'll use more is true being a Costco member.
But I do notice though the costs has been going up consistently with other stores. But I think that the costs is about the same as things being on sale in other chain stores. Costco, despite it's long lines and crowds, saves me time and money. I just need better control on what I buy. Also, their Kirkland Brand goods are, most of the time, as good if not better than the national brand products. The only exception is TP. i am still a charmin's fan. =)
Also, if you are okay with shopping mostly at costco, get their executive membership w/ AE option. I get alot of money back and it pays for my membership.
Their Prime Ribeye is good. I can't find anything close to it without going to a very high end grocery store or mail order. My friends did a test once, I brought in a Lobel's Signature Cut Ribeye (back a couple of years they call it that) and my friends got a Costco Prime Ribeye.
Grill both and tried. Lobel's had alittle more of a deeper beef taste (cuz they probably pre-aged their meats), but other than that, could not tell the difference. Costco actually had better marbling. (Costco $12/lb vs Lobels $35/lb)

Kevin T 07-16-2012 08:08 AM

I appreciate the business model but I can't stand warehouse stores. Our Costco is ~ 20 minutes away and it's always a mad rush of people. Once inside, it's an obstacle course of giant carts and giant people (obese), putting on the brakes to hit every sample table. My wife always finds at least $100 worth of items that we 'need' but were not on the list. Then you get to wait in line another 10 minutes. No thank you. The savings aren't worth the time and hassle, IMHO. I'll stick to my neighborhood Trader Joe's and Sprouts for groceries, both just around the corner, or sit on my rear and order electronics through Amazon.

Fee 07-16-2012 12:12 PM

I only shop at Costco on weekdays so I rarely have to deal with unreasonable crowds. Last time I went on a Sunday I vowed never to go back unless my life truly depended on it.

I love the dollar store! I go there for a lot of basics, and save a lot of money there.

Full disclosure, my brother and his wife are both Costco employees, and my membership is free as long as they are, so I am very happy to give them my money. If I had to pay for it, I would still be a member there. If had to drive more than 30 minutes to get to my store, it wouldn't be worth it at all. It's also easier to shop there now that we have a house, it was hard to find room for a case of TP in an apartment.

Avles 07-16-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin T (Post 6730553)
Our Costco is ~ 20 minutes away and it's always a mad rush of people. Once inside, it's an obstacle course of giant carts and giant people (obese), putting on the brakes to hit every sample table. My wife always finds at least $100 worth of items that we 'need' but were not on the least. Then you get to wait in line another 10 minutes. No thank you. The savings aren't worth the time and hassle, IMHO. I'll stick to my neighborhood Trader Joe's and Sprouts for groceries, both just around the corner, or sit on my rear and order electronics through Amazon.

Remove the bolded words this and post describes my usual experience at Trader Joe's-- although I'm usually the one slamming on the brakes at the sample tables... It's still my favorite place to shop (except for produce of course).

Does anyone shop at Aldi? I've never been but I've heard good things.

jswinf 07-16-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avles (Post 6731260)
Remove the bolded words this and post describes my usual experience at Trader Joe's-- .

The Trader Joe's I shop at has a high percentage of fairly lean but aging baby boomers (like me.) They do provide little "children sized" shopping carts so the kiddies can help the parent out--I hate the little carts, they always seems to be zipping around in an unpredictable fashion.

I don't shop at Costco as much as I used to, I've felt for a while that their prices weren't particularly low, still get there every couple of months.

Larrysümmers 07-16-2012 04:56 PM

SAMS club is where its at ;)

Eph 07-16-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin T (Post 6730553)
I appreciate the business model but I can't stand warehouse stores. Our Costco is ~ 20 minutes away and it's always a mad rush of people. Once inside, it's an obstacle course of giant carts and giant people (obese), putting on the brakes to hit every sample table. My wife always finds at least $100 worth of items that we 'need' but were not on the list. Then you get to wait in line another 10 minutes. No thank you. The savings aren't worth the time and hassle, IMHO. I'll stick to my neighborhood Trader Joe's and Sprouts for groceries, both just around the corner, or sit on my rear and order electronics through Amazon.

Heh. Gotta stick to the list!

Trader Joe's is no less of a zoo than Costco (in the Boston area). The Waltham Costco is not bad, compared to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods in Cambridge (Alweife area)

The beef at Costco is some of the best in America.

Has anyone seen the CNBC Costco documentary? Very interesting....

Eph 07-16-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avles (Post 6731260)
Remove the bolded words this and post describes my usual experience at Trader Joe's-- although I'm usually the one slamming on the brakes at the sample tables... It's still my favorite place to shop (except for produce of course).

Does anyone shop at Aldi? I've never been but I've heard good things.

The one Aldi I have been to has longer lines than Costco, unhelpful employees and the general population of shoppers are on food stamps (not that there is anything wrong with that, per se).

Eph 07-16-2012 06:27 PM

To bring up an earlier point, Costco may not be much cheaper--or cheaper at all--than sale prices at other stores (for name brand goods, Kirkland brand, I would argue, is cheaper), but is it worth driving to 3-5 different stores in search of the $2 off coupon? That takes time--which everyone values to some degree, whether you have a hard number or just "wing it"--, and in Boston, about a gallon of gas ($4).

coolblue123 07-16-2012 07:10 PM

btw, Aldi is majority owner of TJ's.

But Aldi's is awesome too. I get alot of my dried goods there. I saw from a documentary somewhere that even Walmart can not compete with Aldi's prices. I noticed this too especially with their milk and eggs. According to the manager there, they have some service that goes and scout the area stores for prices and make it down 10 cents lower. This gets the crowds in and hopefully buy their products.
Only thing that sucks: cash only. Since my county is now charging for plastic bags, bringing bags is a must now too. btw, their frozen whole chicken fryers aren't bad either. I believe it's like 79c/lb.

Bartelby 07-16-2012 07:18 PM

They should ban supermarkets over a certain size as its exactly the wrong way to buy food - shop local, shop three times a week, walk your groceries home fresh.

Larrysümmers 07-16-2012 07:33 PM

^no thanks. im going to stock up for 2 weeks in just one car ride

Bartelby 07-16-2012 07:36 PM

Believe you me if you could walk 100 meters to get your groceries you would, but you can't do that anymore in most of the non-European Western world.