Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The Dark Knight Rises stuff (spoilers) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=433153)

TheLambsheadrep 07-21-2012 12:03 AM

The Dark Knight Rises stuff (spoilers)

Just got back from seeing TDKR. Since there is no IMAX theaters, I thought seeing it at a drive in for the first time would be better than a regular theater. Not so sure I made the right decision in regards to feeling "sucked in to" the movie, but it was still an epic film. Before I see it again though (hopefully soon), I wanted to see if people could talk about these topics/answer these questions.

The IGN review of the movie said there were "a few big leaps of faith required," im assuming to keep the story flowing. What, in anyone who saw TDKR's opinion, were these leaps? For me, all i can think of now was how Batman and Bane, right after the fight in the sewers, ended up in South America and then right away Bane is back in Gotham. Did I miss something/is it just me, or did they travel very far in very little time?

Did anyone else think everything after the explosion over the bay was rushed? What I remember was the burial, the will, the batman statue, Fox learning there was auto-pilot, Blake finding the bat cave, and alfread living out his hope for bruce (and bruce ending up with kyle, not 100% on board with that for now), and whatever i missed here happening in what felt like 10 minutes. Also, I think the time of us being told that Tate was really Talia to her death was kinda short to be a big impact on the film, but her story was cool and it makes the 3 movies come full circle. And Blake said that the people of Gotham wouldn't know the real hero, but wouldn't people put two and two together with bruce? and didn't Gordon not know bruce was batman, but was at his burial? I can see where maybe bruce had been so secluded that people may not have noticed, but wouldnt that fall under a big leap of faith?

Anyway, its late, and thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Dont get me wrong, I loved the movie, so when 99% of something is good, the 1% of whats left over sticks out like a sore thumb. And its not that I didnt like the 1%, i just want to understand it better, and seeing TDKR again should help with that. I felt that this was an epic film by definition --> TDKR was more about a bigger picture, where TDK was focused primarily around the Joker (but thats what makes TDK the best of the 3, for now)

So what was in your 1% ? Let me know, and comment on what I brought up above please. I may make changes to these questions, it is 3am and what im asking makes sense (for now), and ill prob have more later. Im staying on TTW for a bit longer, so I hope to read a few things before I go to bed.

TheLambsheadrep 07-21-2012 08:55 AM

Please, only comments regarding the movie itself

TMCW140 07-21-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLambsheadrep (Post 6742439)
Just got back from seeing TDKR. Since there is no IMAX theaters, I thought seeing it at a drive in for the first time would be better than a regular theater. Not so sure I made the right decision in regards to feeling "sucked in to" the movie, but it was still an epic film. Before I see it again though (hopefully soon), I wanted to see if people could talk about these topics/answer these questions.

The IGN review of the movie said there were "a few big leaps of faith required," im assuming to keep the story flowing. What, in anyone who saw TDKR's opinion, were these leaps? For me, all i can think of now was how Batman and Bane, right after the fight in the sewers, ended up in South America and then right away Bane is back in Gotham. Did I miss something/is it just me, or did they travel very far in very little time?

Did anyone else think everything after the explosion over the bay was rushed? What I remember was the burial, the will, the batman statue, Fox learning there was auto-pilot, Blake finding the bat cave, and alfread living out his hope for bruce (and bruce ending up with kyle, not 100% on board with that for now), and whatever i missed here happening in what felt like 10 minutes. Also, I think the time of us being told that Tate was really Talia to her death was kinda short to be a big impact on the film, but her story was cool and it makes the 3 movies come full circle. And Blake said that the people of Gotham wouldn't know the real hero, but wouldn't people put two and two together with bruce? and didn't Gordon not know bruce was batman, but was at his burial? I can see where maybe bruce had been so secluded that people may not have noticed, but wouldnt that fall under a big leap of faith?

Anyway, its late, and thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Dont get me wrong, I loved the movie, so when 99% of something is good, the 1% of whats left over sticks out like a sore thumb. And its not that I didnt like the 1%, i just want to understand it better, and seeing TDKR again should help with that. I felt that this was an epic film by definition --> TDKR was more about a bigger picture, where TDK was focused primarily around the Joker (but thats what makes TDK the best of the 3, for now)

So what was in your 1% ? Let me know, and comment on what I brought up above please. I may make changes to these questions, it is 3am and what im asking makes sense (for now), and ill prob have more later. Im staying on TTW for a bit longer, so I hope to read a few things before I go to bed.

Saw it last night and was blown away, truly spectacular.
In regards to your questions...
-The travel thing- I don't think this is too significant as Bruce is consigned to the pit for quite a while, so Bane's return back to Gotham actually does take time, its just not shown (as is Bruce's full recovery)
-I loved the ending, seemed to bring everything together in a great way, tying everything together. I see what you're getting at with the Talia thing, as this was thrown in quite late, but as you said, it links it all together, although I felt it devalued Bane slightly as he then becomes an accomplice.
I think Bruce's 'death' is put down to the riots- easy to lose someone within something like that, so a suitable alibi.
Gordon doesn't realise who Batman is until he flies off at the end, having made the reference to the 'hero who put a blanket on a young boy's shoulders'- ie. when his parents were killed, so by the funeral, he is aware.
Hope that clears some of that up, I've got a load of questions, but my mind is still buzzing. Epic, epic film

TheLambsheadrep 07-21-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMCW140 (Post 6742967)
Saw it last night and was blown away, truly spectacular.
In regards to your questions...
-The travel thing- I don't think this is too significant as Bruce is consigned to the pit for quite a while, so Bane's return back to Gotham actually does take time, its just not shown (as is Bruce's full recovery)
-I loved the ending, seemed to bring everything together in a great way, tying everything together. I see what you're getting at with the Talia thing, as this was thrown in quite late, but as you said, it links it all together, although I felt it devalued Bane slightly as he then becomes an accomplice.
I think Bruce's 'death' is put down to the riots- easy to lose someone within something like that, so a suitable alibi.
Gordon doesn't realise who Batman is until he flies off at the end, having made the reference to the 'hero who put a blanket on a young boy's shoulders'- ie. when his parents were killed, so by the funeral, he is aware.
Hope that clears some of that up, I've got a load of questions, but my mind is still buzzing. Epic, epic film

I def need to see it again, it just seemed like bane took bruce to the prison, told him "When Gotham burns, you have my permission to die," then in the next scene of bane (i believe the actual next scene after the prison in the movie) he is back in gotham. im not sure how much time has passed, but if it was the next scene, i can't imagine it was that much. AH! I need to see this movie again.

Bruce Wayne could have def died in the riots, especially since you saw the scenes of the rich people being raided. I just don't remember if they gave an actual cause of death in the movie or left it open to interpretation like that. And I guess I didn't pick up on what batman was saying about cape on the young boy's shoulders, because I remember the flash back to scene with bruce as a boy and gordon in the police station. chalk it up to the drive in, i really need to see this in theaters.

The ending was great, just speedy. I would have loved to see alfred and bruce embrace at the end, since alfred was so vividly upset over bruce's "death." even though that wouldnt have been alfred's "fantasy," given what alfred thought happened, i know thats what I wouldve done in alfreds shoes.

Also, regarding the auto pilot thing - the auto pilot on the bat initially not working, then bruce fixed it in a way that the bat wouldnt show that it had been fixed until Fox discovered it, right? And the movie didn't show batman getting out of the bat (thus utilizing the auto pilot), right? it's just assumed that he did at some point?

And I understand the purpose of Wayne Enterprise's free green energy machine, but I didn't pick up on why it failed (especially if half of bruce's $ went into it). again, blaming it on the drive in haha.

And did anyone else think it was kinda weird (but not wrong/bad) that right off the bat John Blake knew bruce was the batman? I understand he approved of the batman (im assuming the main reason he didn't investigate in such a way to turn bruce in), but wouldnt you say he's the only person who isnt very close to bruce that knows? and just to start off blake's character like that seemed kinda brash (or something, idk haha).

Thanks for the input!

Agent Orynge 07-21-2012 12:45 PM

The machine didn't fail, Bruce canned it when he learned that someone could turn it into a neutron bomb. Failure was the excuse he fed everyone else.

Overall I thought it was a good film, but not a great film like the last one was. My major beefs:

- Catwoman was not a very well developed character. They never explained why she kept flipping her magical shades up and down (though they were clearly meant to resemble cat ears).

- Bane went out like a chump, very anticlimactic. I think this was the most disappointing part for me.

- Tate/Talia's death scene. Cotillard can act better than that, I'm not sure why they let that particular take make it into the final cut. Now that I think about it, the whole final chase seemed kind of silly.

- Oldman's voice seemed to creep back and forth between Gordon and something out of a Harry Potter film.

- The passage of time from the beginning of the siege until the last few hours is poorly represented. They could have done a better job of making it feel like 5 months had passed.

TheLambsheadrep 07-21-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Orynge (Post 6743207)
The machine didn't fail, Bruce canned it when he learned that someone could turn it into a neutron bomb. Failure was the excuse he fed everyone else.

Im assuming that's in the movie? and if so, couldn't that still be considered a failure (in bruce's own mind), since he could not use the free green energy machine even though it existed?

Quote:

Tate/Talia's death scene. Cotillard can act better than that, I'm not sure why they let that particular take make it into the final cut. Now that I think about it, the whole final chase seemed kind of silly.

It was kind of weird, more anticlimactic than Banes imo. like i said, it was nice that she was there to make the story come full circle with batman begins, but her relieving was so late into the movie, id like to know how many minutes in the movie she was actually Talia.

Quote:

The passage of time from the beginning of the siege until the last few hours is poorly represented. They could have done a better job of making it feel like 5 months had passed.

I agree, I dont think there was a solid pattern for the way time passed when being in and then out of Gotham. and outside of the "people's court," you couldn't see much in the way of a revolution for the betterment of the citizens. I understand that's prob bc the plan was to actually blow up gotham, not change it for the people, but still

Agent Orynge 07-21-2012 02:03 PM

It is in the movie, when they take Tate down to see the device.

diredesire 07-21-2012 08:56 PM

please keep thread on topic, this isn't the place for politics/rants&raves style posts.

(A few edits added for continuity and to prevent unnecessary deletions)

TheLambsheadrep 07-21-2012 09:21 PM

Thank you diredesire for removing the other non-movie related posts, and for not deleting the thread entirely :) . have you seen TDKR yet?

kimbahpnam 07-21-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Overall I thought it was a good film, but not a great film like the last one was. My major beefs:

- Catwoman was not a very well developed character. They never explained why she kept flipping her magical shades up and down (though they were clearly meant to resemble cat ears).

- Bane went out like a chump, very anticlimactic. I think this was the most disappointing part for me.

- Tate/Talia's death scene. Cotillard can act better than that, I'm not sure why they let that particular take make it into the final cut. Now that I think about it, the whole final chase seemed kind of silly.

- Oldman's voice seemed to creep back and forth between Gordon and something out of a Harry Potter film.

- The passage of time from the beginning of the siege until the last few hours is poorly represented. They could have done a better job of making it feel like 5 months had passed.

+1

At the end of the chase scene when the truck fell like 50 ft head first and Talia was about dead....out pops Gordon from back of the truck just fine and dandy! LOL people in the audience were laughing just like I was.....how was he just fine in there with that bomb in the back of the truck? Not to mention he's all old and hurt from being shot earlier.

I didn't like the new plane....it was a little overboard for my taste. Thus the ending was predictable...

Robin's line at the end was a little corny...

No backstory to Catwoman....we need that!

I wish there was a flashback to joker somewhere in the movie.

verdict.......TDK > TDKR

TheLambsheadrep 07-22-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimbahpnam (Post 6744078)
At the end of the chase scene when the truck fell like 50 ft head first and Talia was about dead....out pops Gordon from back of the truck just fine and dandy! LOL people in the audience were laughing just like I was.....how was he just fine in there with that bomb in the back of the truck? Not to mention he's all old and hurt from being shot earlier.

I didn't like the new plane....it was a little overboard for my taste. Thus the ending was predictable...

verdict.......TDK > TDKR

All of this is true. I remember thinking how is Gordon ok? So that was def a big stretch. If anything, the way he looked half dead in the hospital at the beginning of the movie should have been applied to this crash.

I really liked the bat, until I saw it had that massive horizontal propeller on the bottom. I thought it would be jet powered or something, the propeller made it look clunky and outdated imo. still, i thought that the action chases with the bat made it look good enough.

Yes the line was cheesy, but didnt Nolan say he didnt want to add any of the actual comic book character renditions of Robin in any of his movies? it was kinda the one last-second way to confirm what everyone was thinking. I loved how he discovered the batcave, and when the platform lifted him up at the very end was awesome (idk if it was the camera angle or what, but it was). I literally just found this http://gotchamovies.com/news/john-bl...gins-in-batman so Nolan did keep the real names for the character Robin out of his movies, but this James Blake character seems more like an Easter Egg than a legit reason to make him batman. Anyway, it was good closure for the movie.

When Selina was talking to Daggett and i think was being set up, I had to go tell an idiot to turn off his car lights (which had been on the screen for at least 10 min), and i say "think" was being set up bc i had to leave. I kinda pieced together Daggett's character purpose right before Bane killed him, but I didn't get the relationship between Daggett and Selina. I think Catwomen was a very "in the moment" character (no past, not a guaranteed future with bruce), and read somewhere else that she could have been subbed out for almost any other female hero/villain character and it wouldn't have mattered. Im not 100% with that statement, but it does make one think... Anyway, the fight scenes with Catwomen were pretty darn good imo, but where was the whip?! haha

A flash back/tie in to joker would've been cool, or what about something like an audio clip not used in the final cut of TDK? wouldn't that have given you chills? I did like that Scarecrow was brought back, and the way they made him look so ragged was great.

Yes, I agree that the dark knight was the best of the 3 (bc I love psychological movies, which the Joker made TDK into), but i think one of the best ways to see the trilogy is that the best role of Batman was in “Batman Begins,” the best role of a villain was in “The Dark Knight Rises” and for a complete emotional must-see ending, “The Dark Knight Rises” is it (http://www.thecultjar.com/2012/07/21...rises-reviewed)

TheLambsheadrep 07-22-2012 09:00 AM

btw, does anyone think (or was it said) that the pearls Selina steals are Mrs. Wayne's from batman begins when she was shot?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP4KLs_1G6I

TheLambsheadrep 07-22-2012 09:22 AM

And to me, the overall movie didn't feel rushed, but at the same time it does seem like some things were left out (even for a 2hr45min movie). In my life experiences, that kinda compares to when someone's writing an essay for an exam sometimes - you're so wrapped up in the essay and it's the best thing you've ever written, then when you get ready to start the conclusion, you see you have 15min left. So the conclusion suffers, and you don't have time to go back and review/correct the small things scattered in the great writing of the body.

Like I said, i liked the ending, but it did kinda feel hurried to get all the loose ends tied. and then there are the little things we can find right or wring in the body of the movie, all opinion based.

NEED TO SEE THIS AGAIN SOON!

anhuynh16 07-22-2012 09:35 AM

Great movie.

What happened to Bane? His ending should of been important.

So did Bruce Wayne come back?

Biggest hint is possibly a another movie with a new Batman and ROBIN?

TheLambsheadrep 07-22-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anhuynh16 (Post 6744628)
Great movie.

What happened to Bane? His ending should of been important.

So did Bruce Wayne come back?

Biggest hint is possibly a another movie with a new Batman and ROBIN?

If you are asking and not just saying it disappointingly, Bane got shot by a bat pod missile by Catwomen

There is debate over if bruce is alive, and even though nolan loves the "is he/is he not" endings, i think he was being straight forward with us this time. bruce wayne is 99%, if not 100%, alive

Another thing I thought of, how did Bane know bruce was batman right off the bat (no pun intended)? was this mentioned in the movie? and from then on out, selina knows that bruce is batman, correct?

Nostradamus 07-22-2012 10:25 AM

Rotten Tomatoes gave this a Poor rating. Is this movie any good ?

diredesire 07-22-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLambsheadrep (Post 6743983)
Thank you diredesire for removing the other non-movie related posts, and for not deleting the thread entirely :) . have you seen TDKR yet?

Yep, I saw a pre-release showing. I enjoyed it, was surprised by Anne Hathaway's character, but agree with below, could have used a better backstory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimbahpnam (Post 6744078)
+1

verdict.......TDK > TDKR

Supposedly the Joker was never mentioned in the film out of respect for the death of Heath Ledger.

I thought the plane was fine, but the auto-pilot story was silly. Like you said... you know what's going to happen before it even takes off.

NickC 07-22-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLambsheadrep (Post 6744676)
Another thing I thought of, how did Bane know bruce was batman right off the bat (no pun intended)? was this mentioned in the movie? and from then on out, selina knows that bruce is batman, correct?

Re-watch the first one, and you'll understand. Bruce was a member of the League of Shadows, and once he decided to leave and fight the league in their quest to fall Gotham, Once Bruce left, Ra's decided to take the protector of his daughter into the League and train him. Bane knew Bruce's identity because Ra's told him.

Regarding my view of the film, while it was great, I thought it felt rushed and while it would have taken 4+ hours to tell the film's full story, I would have much rather sat through something like that rather than coming out of TDKR with many questions still unanswered. The whole side-story about Daggert and Bruce's wealth just kind of vanished. I was also kind of disappointed that we didn't hear the snap when Bane broke Batman's back and there wasn't an aura around the whole thing, because in the comics it's the focal point of the entire Knightfall storyline, which is what the movie was based off of.

Further, Bane's voice in the first scene also sucked; having heard the original audio from a scene that featured his voice over a year ago, I was disappointed that the original way Nolan wanted him to sound didn't make it into the final cut, the FX chain (talkbox, EQ, distortion, pitcher, EQ) sounded much wetter in the teaser scene than it did in the final cut. The first time I heard his original voice, it sounded dark, menacing and 200% badass. In the final cut of the film his voice sounded like a cross between a Rastafarian accent and a English accent with a bunch of marbles in his mouth, and then sent to a flanger FX turned to 100% wet and then pitched up a ton. Whoever mixed the film's audio down also did a poor job; whenever Bane spoke the audio of the scene is completely inaudible, and his voice is too overbearing and takes up too much room.

grimmbomb21 07-22-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLambsheadrep (Post 6744676)
If you are asking and not just saying it disappointingly, Bane got shot by a bat pod missile by Catwomen

There is debate over if bruce is alive, and even though nolan loves the "is he/is he not" endings, i think he was being straight forward with us this time. bruce wayne is 99%, if not 100%, alive

How is there debate over bruce wayne surviving? It shows him at the end.:-?

TheLambsheadrep 07-22-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grimmbomb21 (Post 6744780)
How is there debate over bruce wayne surviving? It shows him at the end.:-?

I guess what people are considering is that alfred imagines it since that's what he wanted for bruce. but i dont think so, i think people who truly believe this to have happened are over-thinking it