Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Gulbis - potential vs partying (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=433341)

sportsfan1 07-22-2012 10:32 PM

Gulbis - potential vs partying

As I saw the LA Farmers classic coming up, I remembered Gulbis won the 2011 title beating JMDP(?) and Fish on the way, and at the time thinking this would be a resurgence for him. Of course, it didn't turn out that way, which is disappointing as I admire the shot making and talent.

The guy's a headcase and the partying has been well documented, e.g. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/t...s-2269657.html, although as a guy I can understand about this myself.

But I wonder: all said and done, with all that talent, Gulbis must want to be a top player, a contender at events? Is it possible for him to continue his current ways and still have a Djoker 2011 like moment where it all falls into place? Or can he not rein in the chic chasing - just a case of "marching to the tune of a different drummer" and he can't have a Fed/Nadal ethic?

joeri888 07-22-2012 10:36 PM

His Career is closer to the end than Federer's

Biscuitmcgriddleson 07-22-2012 10:38 PM

He is an amazing talent that can't seem to get all the gears to click. Not sure if it's natural inconsistencies or a disregard for the practice courts.

purge 07-22-2012 10:50 PM

i expect him to call it quits after the season tbh

NamRanger 07-22-2012 10:54 PM

He's got some talent, but really he's abit overrated.

MomentumGT 07-22-2012 10:59 PM

A nightmare when he's on fire but he's just a fan favorite during his normal level of play

-Jon

SystemicAnomaly 07-22-2012 11:25 PM

Safin Lite?

Colin 07-22-2012 11:40 PM

Hey, you're only young once. He's filthy rich, traveling the world and also playing a little tennis once in a while. Maybe he figures he won't win a slam anyway (who is with the Top 3 in the way), so it's not a big deal whether he goes out in the third round or quarterfinals and he'll have fun along the way.

joeri888 07-23-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 6745809)
Hey, you're only young once. He's filthy rich, traveling the world and also playing a little tennis once in a while. Maybe he figures he won't win a slam anyway (who is with the Top 3 in the way), so it's not a big deal whether he goes out in the third round or quarterfinals and he'll have fun along the way.

He'll be out of the top 150 by the end of the year at this rate. Not much 3rd rounds that's for sure.

Colin 07-23-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeri888 (Post 6745825)
He'll be out of the top 150 by the end of the year at this rate. Not much 3rd rounds that's for sure.

Maybe he can focus on winning Challengers. :twisted:

joeri888 07-23-2012 01:00 AM

I believe that in a few years, when Gulbis has no ranking anymore, has seen the parties, has seen what it's like to have a blond, or a brunette, a H cup or a B cup, he will regret that he gave up on a great tenniscareer for it.

Sure you are young only once, so I don't ssay he shouldn't party. I just think he could have done with a bit less. Take off twice a year, party for a week and start training again, let yourself have 1 or 2 days each time you're in Latvia, but seriously, an athlete should not go out partying for a full week after he played 1 good tournament, with the next tournament already waiting.

Party's are fun, but once he gets bit older and settles down, I think he's likely to regret his decisions.

tank_job 07-23-2012 01:23 AM

It's a myth that he goes out partying.

I bet he just sits at home on his game-boy.

To top it off, he is not talented at all.

joeri888 07-23-2012 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tank_job (Post 6745884)
It's a myth that he goes out partying.

I bet he just sits at home on his game-boy.

To top it off, he is not talented at all.

Guy that's such a headcase, still young, doesnt seem particularly hardworking, yet has taken a win from Federer HAS to be talented.

tank_job 07-23-2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeri888 (Post 6745889)
Guy that's such a headcase, still young, doesnt seem particularly hardworking, yet has taken a win from Federer HAS to be talented.

Alejandro fvcking Falla nearly got a win from Federer, a GS win and all, you gna call him talented?

joeri888 07-23-2012 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tank_job (Post 6745909)
Alejandro fvcking Falla nearly got a win from Federer, a GS win and all, you gna call him talented?

Falla's not young, not a headcase and didn't win. So, although he has a lot of talent (everyone has), he's not as talented as Gulbis was.

augustobt 07-23-2012 02:32 AM

Would you give a **** to the world if your family had US$7 billions?

Come on. Tennis is just his hobby.

MethodTennis 07-23-2012 02:39 AM

nalbandian slipping down the rankings from where he once was so this forum decide to pick gulbis as their next favourite player for the future. Claiming he's super talented.

Then when it becomes evident he isnt very talented and he kinda sucks in terms of top level pros, posters on here piece together a few pictures and interviews and claim that he isnt just not up to standard but that he just doesnt try hard in practice and goes out partying instead.

There is absolutly no way this is the case, he is just a player who flashes very hot and very cold, good wins , rough losses but no one could gain a top 30 ranking living the type of life you guys portray. He probably does enjoy to part I dont doubt it but he's hardly a sex adicted alcoholic.

You guys are gonna now come in and want to be like well Safin was and he was world number one, again he enjoyed the party I'm sure but he probably worked his ****ing butt off to be as good as he was, through training. What he created was an image and a brand behind him, which allowed him to obtain more money from doing adverts and endorsments. He created the image of a womanizer on the back of something which was probably true to some extent.

Never kid yourself, these players have to work their *** of to maintain ranking because there is always someone with more tallents whos willing to train harder and is ready to beat them as a wild card in the first round of every event or later in draws.

The Bawss 07-23-2012 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunnd5000 (Post 6745946)
nalbandian slipping down the rankings from where he once was so this forum decide to pick gulbis as their next favourite player for the future. Claiming he's super talented.

Then when it becomes evident he isnt very talented and he kinda sucks in terms of top level pros, posters on here piece together a few pictures and interviews and claim that he isnt just not up to standard but that he just doesnt try hard in practice and goes out partying instead.

There is absolutly no way this is the case, he is just a player who flashes very hot and very cold, good wins , rough losses but no one could gain a top 30 ranking living the type of life you guys portray. He probably does enjoy to part I dont doubt it but he's hardly a sex adicted alcoholic.

You guys are gonna now come in and want to be like well Safin was and he was world number one, again he enjoyed the party I'm sure but he probably worked his ****ing butt off to be as good as he was, through training. What he created was an image and a brand behind him, which allowed him to obtain more money from doing adverts and endorsments. He created the image of a womanizer on the back of something which was probably true to some extent.

Never kid yourself, these players have to work their *** of to maintain ranking because there is always someone with more tallents whos willing to train harder and is ready to beat them as a wild card in the first round of every event or later in draws.

This is often overlooked on these boards. Any of the party animals any of us know are pretty far removed from an ATP "party animal" because they simply don't have the same amount of time nor do they mistreat their bodies in the same way.

Sentinel 07-23-2012 05:33 AM

I don't agree with this "young only once" stuff. There's nothing you can do at 20-30 that you can't do at 40-50, especially if you have oodles of money. You can sure travel in your 40's and 50's and its not like he's climbing Everest, or trekking across Antarctica, or crossing the Atlantic in a boat.

Poor boy, life wasted partying and having fun.

tusharlovesrafa 07-23-2012 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6746087)
I don't agree with this "young only once" stuff. There's nothing you can do at 20-30 that you can't do at 40-50, especially if you have oodles of money. You can sure travel in your 40's and 50's and its not like he's climbing Everest, or trekking across Antarctica, or crossing the Atlantic in a boat.

Poor boy, life wasted partying and having fun.

Sentinel knows this best.Been through this.