Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Blx Pro Open 2011 or 2012 Arm Friendly? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=433430)

ahk27 07-23-2012 04:31 PM

Blx Pro Open 2011 or 2012 Arm Friendly?

Has anyone tried either version of this racquet and if so what is your opinion on the arm friendly factor? TW has it listed at a stiffness of 68 for the 2012 version and 66 for the 2011. I've been playing a sub 10oz 69 stiffness rating racquet and I'm having some very faint arm issues.

gamerx52986 07-23-2012 04:55 PM

I had two of each model of the Pro Open and had zero issues with the frames stiffness and this is coming from somebody with wrist issues in the past. Compared to say the 2012 Pure Drive, I feel the Pro Open has slightly less power but has better control and is more comfortable with a fair amount of pop. I used a full set of NRG2 in my frames when I used them.

fantom 07-23-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamerx52986 (Post 6747231)
I had two of each model of the Pro Open and had zero issues with the frames stiffness and this is coming from somebody with wrist issues in the past. Compared to say the 2012 Pure Drive, I feel the Pro Open has slightly less power but has better control and is more comfortable with a fair amount of pop. I used a full set of NRG2 in my frames when I used them.

I agree 100% with this. I've been playing with this racquet for a few weeks now and will be picking up another one tomorrow. I also demoed the PD2012 and Donnay Formula 100. Pro Open feels very similar to the PD2012, but with a touch more feel and comfort. Both of my demos were freshly strung with the same multi at the same tension (Not TW demo).

MikeHitsHard93 07-23-2012 09:04 PM

Yeah, you need not worry about the Pro Opens stiffness rating. I play with the old model blx (yellow and black) and it is comfy. I am finding that it really lacks plow-through and power though, so I am probably gonna get a Pure drive Roddick.

fantom 07-24-2012 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 6747734)
Yeah, you need not worry about the Pro Opens stiffness rating. I play with the old model blx (yellow and black) and it is comfy. I am finding that it really lacks plow-through and power though, so I am probably gonna get a Pure drive Roddick.

That is definitely a relative term depending on the racquet you're comparing it to. I feel that it is slightly below the Pure Drive, but still quite powerful.

ahk27 07-24-2012 07:04 AM

I'm looking for a racquet that is a good mix of power, spin, and feel.... but that doesn't bother my shoulder and arm. Any other suggestions besides the pro open?

acura9927 07-24-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahk27 (Post 6748379)
I'm looking for a racquet that is a good mix of power, spin, and feel.... but that doesn't bother my shoulder and arm. Any other suggestions besides the pro open?

I have demoed a lot of racquets and Yonex EZone line is very arm and shoulder friendly if you like the isometric head shape.

jstyle711 07-25-2012 11:11 PM

I've been playing with the Pro Open 2011 for two weeks now about 2hr sessions pretty much every other day and have not had any noticeable pains anywhere. Off center shots doesn't create any jarring that you would notice compared to a old school prostaff or the newer six.one (those are my only references to player type racquets). It has a fairly large sweet spot and the feel is amazing. Sorry I cannot compare it to the PD but I will say against a heavy hitter you would notice it does lack the heft.

Just my 2 cents.

ahk27 07-26-2012 09:12 AM

Does it feel like there is any difference between the 2011 and 2012 in the way they play or the stiffness?

Simbah2004 12-15-2012 12:36 PM

Nope, they feel the same to me, I have both. Just the paint job finish is different.

avince 12-15-2012 01:34 PM

I have both too but prefer mate paintjob of 2012 :)

g4driver 12-15-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 6747734)

Disagree with this about the lack of plow-through and power. Lead then up to 337 grams and you get a lot of plow-through.

They are very comfy on the elbow and shoulder.

I now own six of the yellow and black non 2012 versions. I had two PDGT+ frames , but sold them in 2010 switching to the Pro Opens. Too stiff for my elbow.

teocem 12-15-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g4driver (Post 7064873)
Disagree with this about the lack of plow-through and power. Lead then up to 337 grams and you get a lot of plow-through.

I now own six of the yellow and black non 2012 versions. I had two PDGT+ frames , but sold them in 2010 switching to the Pro Opens. Too stiff for my elbow.

I would not say that PDR has much of a plow-through. It is too head light for that.

MikeHitsHard93 12-15-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g4driver (Post 7064873)

Obviously you had to add lead to get the plow through and power desired. Hence why I said that they lack those two attributes...

g4driver 12-15-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7065016)
Obviously you had to add lead to get the plow through and power desired. Hence why I said that they lack those two attributes...

Not exactly Mike. First of all, I have a history with TE, so I can't hit with stiff frames which naturally give more power.

I wanted the frames more head light first and foremost. Second, I wanted to slow down my swing and heavier frames do this. I tend to have a very fast flat forehand, and adding weight slows it down, and yes, increases the plow-through.

I added the same amount of weight to my Pure Drives in the same places and hit with them until my elbow said "No more"

I get plenty of power off a stock Pro Open and stock PDGT. But if you want the frames more headlight, adding weight in the handles moves the balance point to exactly where I wanted it.

But my natural inclination is for frames in the 337 to 342 gram weight range, not around 320 grams which is where both the Pro Open and PDGT come in with a full bed of string and an overgrip. A 2012 PDGT+ weighs 2 grams more than a 2012 PDGT unstrung.

All these frames are so easy to customize, yet so few players ever try lead or experimenting with moving the balance points. Sure I could play with a PDGTR and it's heavier more headlight frame, but it would still be too stiff for my elbow. Yep, I tried it also. Too stiff for me. It felt like a board to me. However, the Wilson Six-One 95 16x19 fits my game much better with it's 10 Pt HL and 346 gram weight.

TripleB 12-15-2012 05:53 PM

I guess I'm the exception...the '12 caused me serious arm problems; it's been over 2 months since I picked up a racquet and every once in a while I still feel pain. I did have it strung with poly mains/synthetic crosses (50/53).

When I return to tennis (June, Lord willing) I'm thinking of using a Pro Kennex, Pacific, or Donnay.

Again, most people have said they have no arm issues with the Pro Open so it may have just been a problem that was going to flair up no matter what racquet I was using at the time.

But I'm going to move to something more flexy in the future.

TripleB

MikeHitsHard93 12-15-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleB (Post 7065092)
I guess I'm the exception...the '12 caused me serious arm problems; it's been over 2 months since I picked up a racquet and every once in a while I still feel pain. I did have it strung with poly mains/synthetic crosses (50/53).

When I return to tennis (June, Lord willing) I'm thinking of using a Pro Kennex, Pacific, or Donnay.

Again, most people have said they have no arm issues with the Pro Open so it may have just been a problem that was going to flair up no matter what racquet I was using at the time.

But I'm going to move to something more flexy in the future.

TripleB

Something that is similar and more flexy would be the ig radical mp. I played them side by side and they felt incredibly similar.

MikeHitsHard93 12-15-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g4driver (Post 7065058)
Not exactly Mike. First of all, I have a history with TE, so I can't hit with stiff frames which naturally give more power.

I wanted the frames more head light first and foremost. Second, I wanted to slow down my swing and heavier frames do this. I tend to have a very fast flat forehand, and adding weight slows it down, and yes, increases the plow-through.

I added the same amount of weight to my Pure Drives in the same places and hit with them until my elbow said "No more"

I get plenty of power off a stock Pro Open and stock PDGT. But if you want the frames more headlight, adding weight in the handles moves the balance point to exactly where I wanted it.

But my natural inclination is for frames in the 337 to 342 gram weight range, not around 320 grams which is where both the Pro Open and PDGT come in with a full bed of string and an overgrip. A 2012 PDGT+ weighs 2 grams more than a 2012 PDGT unstrung.

All these frames are so easy to customize, yet so few players ever try lead or experimenting with moving the balance points. Sure I could play with a PDGTR and it's heavier more headlight frame, but it would still be too stiff for my elbow. Yep, I tried it also. Too stiff for me. It felt like a board to me. However, the Wilson Six-One 95 16x19 fits my game much better with it's 10 Pt HL and 346 gram weight.

I get what you're saying. I think we may have been arguing about different things.

TripleB 12-16-2012 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7065277)
Something that is similar and more flexy would be the ig radical mp. I played them side by side and they felt incredibly similar.

How big of difference was there in spin potential between the two (the Rad having 18 mains)?

Thanks for the input.

TripleB