Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Mitchell Krueger officially turns pro (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=433578)

TopDawg 07-24-2012 05:35 PM

Mitchell Krueger officially turns pro
 
No Texas A&M for Krueger per Zoo Tennis article

JLyon 07-24-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopDawg (Post 6749835)
No Texas A&M for Krueger per Zoo Tennis article

Good luck to him, but one year of college may have been good for him.
Good luck to him grinding out the tour.

Clemson_tennis 07-24-2012 05:41 PM

I guess his recent woodshed beatings didn't disuade him.

Bartelby 07-24-2012 05:46 PM

So which tecnifibre?

cmb 07-25-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLyon (Post 6749857)
Good luck to him, but one year of college may have been good for him.
Good luck to him grinding out the tour.

and after 1 year of diddling around in college station there would be no sponsorship money...

Glad he took the contracts he was offered, he wont pay anything to do it the right way for at least 5 years.

Good luck to him.

JLyon 07-25-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmb (Post 6751017)
and after 1 year of diddling around in college station there would be no sponsorship money...

Glad he took the contracts he was offered, he wont pay anything to do it the right way for at least 5 years.

Good luck to him.

How so? It did not stop Steve Johnson after 4 years of college signing with Asics? If Krueger went out and won the NCAA's the money would be still sitting there. I do not begrudge him, but think he could have used 1-2 years of college, but again good luck to him.

Vik 07-25-2012 10:42 AM

Don't understand these guys skipping college when they are having zero sucess at futures level. Maybe if he was winning a few matches at that level, I could understand.

But he would have plenty of challenges every match w/ a year or two of college. It's not like he would be destroying the competition.

I think the USTA is putting the heat on some of these kids to skip college and continue w/ the USTA training :-?

Tennishacker 07-25-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLyon (Post 6751159)
How so? It did not stop Steve Johnson after 4 years of college signing with Asics? If Krueger went out and won the NCAA's the money would be still sitting there. I do not begrudge him, but think he could have used 1-2 years of college, but again good luck to him.

Yes, I agree.

Saw Jack Sock for first time. I was excited, (all the hype surrounding him)
but was disappointed in his loss to the 97th ranked Cippola. (L.A. tournament)
Second set, basically gave up, started whining, hit balls out of stadium, looked and acted unprofessional.

I think college would of helped his maturity.

cmb 07-25-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLyon (Post 6751159)
How so? It did not stop Steve Johnson after 4 years of college signing with Asics? If Krueger went out and won the NCAA's the money would be still sitting there. I do not begrudge him, but think he could have used 1-2 years of college, but again good luck to him.

steve johnson was a fat and out of shape So cal junior player going into college.

Mitchell Krueger is a top 5 ranked ITF junior, huge difference there! Johnson had nowhere near the options that Mitch has availible to him.
You people here amaze me!, it doesnt matter if Mitch doesnt win a match in Futures qualies for the next 5 years, his expenses, his training, the best sports medicine will all be available to him. What happens if he doesnt have a great year in College? he has no offers, and stuck in College station...when he gets out...hes left to grind it out on his own, with his own dime. SJ has done well doing it his way, but Im glad mitch didnt listen to the Naysayers here and gone to college.

He has the best shot at becoming the best player that he can possibly become for the next 5 years, all paid for by someone else. How can anyone suggest going to school?? only in america people would say stuff like this!

tball2day 07-25-2012 12:28 PM

You keep mentioning 5 years? Do you know the contract specifics? Maybe, but the pros I know had to have results in 2-3 or it was over or greatly reduced.

Number1Coach 07-25-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmb (Post 6751458)
steve johnson was a fat and out of shape So cal junior player going into college.

Mitchell Krueger is a top 5 ranked ITF junior, huge difference there! Johnson had nowhere near the options that Mitch has availible to him.
You people here amaze me!, it doesnt matter if Mitch doesnt win a match in Futures qualies for the next 5 years, his expenses, his training, the best sports medicine will all be available to him. What happens if he doesnt have a great year in College? he has no offers, and stuck in College station...when he gets out...hes left to grind it out on his own, with his own dime. SJ has done well doing it his way, but Im glad mitch didnt listen to the Naysayers here and gone to college.

He has the best shot at becoming the best player that he can possibly become for the next 5 years, all paid for by someone else. How can anyone suggest going to school?? only in america people would say stuff like this!

Not me , I am American and believe he is making the right move , If he stays focused on the task at hand he could do great things ,shows a lot of stones to make that decision I am proud of him!

tennis_tater 07-25-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmb (Post 6751458)
steve johnson was a fat and out of shape So cal junior player going into college.

Mitchell Krueger is a top 5 ranked ITF junior, huge difference there! Johnson had nowhere near the options that Mitch has availible to him.
You people here amaze me!, it doesnt matter if Mitch doesnt win a match in Futures qualies for the next 5 years, his expenses, his training, the best sports medicine will all be available to him. What happens if he doesnt have a great year in College? he has no offers, and stuck in College station...when he gets out...hes left to grind it out on his own, with his own dime. SJ has done well doing it his way, but Im glad mitch didnt listen to the Naysayers here and gone to college.

He has the best shot at becoming the best player that he can possibly become for the next 5 years, all paid for by someone else. How can anyone suggest going to school?? only in america people would say stuff like this!

My only thought in response to your post is that if a top junior ends up going the college route, and does not have success at that level, then he should probably use that time in college to get his degree on focus on a future non-pro tennis related, which would save him the time and expense of trying to "grind it out on his own" on the pro circuit when his college results should have been an indication to him to do something else.

cmb 07-25-2012 01:23 PM

my response would be, why would you chance going to school and not making it, or take whats been offered to you and try to make it while someone else is paying for it? he has sacrificed and trained his whole life to be a pro, now your saying he should give it up and study some degree? no way man, your a tennis player, and a very good one...its his job to try and become the best that he can at this game. and he has financial backing to make that happen right now... your logic is not for a top 5 ranked junior. Maybe someone ranked around 50 itf....(Mac Styslinger), he should go to school, because nobody is offering him anything to go pro

mikej 07-25-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmb (Post 6751652)
he has sacrificed and trained his whole life to be a pro, now your saying he should give it up and study some degree? no way man, your a tennis player, and a very good one...its his job to try and become the best that he can at this game

shocking that you don't think highly of the college route...you're struggling so much with the basics of our language...it's making my head hurt

Clemson_tennis 07-25-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 6751297)
Yes, I agree.

Saw Jack Sock for first time. I was excited, (all the hype surrounding him)
but was disappointed in his loss to the 97th ranked Cippola. (L.A. tournament)
Second set, basically gave up, started whining, hit balls out of stadium, looked and acted unprofessional.

I think college would of helped his maturity.

Cipolla is a nightmare matchup for Sock at anytime. A slicer and crafty dicer is not the type of player Sock likes to play.

Cipolla just lost in the 2nd round to Leo Mayer 0-6 0-4 ret.

SoCal10s 07-25-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 6751297)
Yes, I agree.

(L.A. tournament)
Second set, basically gave up, started whining, hit balls out of stadium, looked and acted unprofessional.

I think college would of helped his maturity.

naw, he was just being a typical ugly American ... Roddick,Harrison,and whole bunch of others.. same crybaby act ...

ClarkC 07-26-2012 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmb (Post 6751458)
He has the best shot at becoming the best player that he can possibly become for the next 5 years, all paid for by someone else. How can anyone suggest going to school?? only in america people would say stuff like this!

Well, by going to college, he risks having to play tennis in the Futures on his own dime someday. But now, he risks having to go to college on his own dime someday, or have a rather low-level career in a tennis club otherwise.

In America, college education is more highly sought than in many countries; in fact, too much so, in that some people are in college who are not college material academically, getting degrees that are not of much value to them. But others are doing a lot for their future.

Tennishacker 07-27-2012 09:12 AM

I don't think that the sponsorship money equals the potential college scholarship monies.

cmb 08-03-2012 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 6755961)
I don't think that the sponsorship money equals the potential college scholarship monies.


you would be wrong...

mikej 08-11-2012 06:32 AM

per zootennis:

"When Krueger dropped serve to open the second set after being thoroughly outplayed in the first, the normally composed Texan smashed a plastic chair near his bag on the change of ends, sending pieces of it flying onto the court."

nice to see that krueger is another ryan harrison...well, except harrison doesn't get manhandled by 16 year olds like rubin

_________

also fratangelo got wiped off the court by evan king this week 6-4,6-2

_________

dear young tennis players,
why are you going pro when you're still getting smacked by some juniors and college players? if either of you ever make it inside the top 100 i'll post a youtube video of me eating a leather shoe.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse