Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   RIP SHERMAN HEMSLEY (aka George Jefferson) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=433583)

jamesblakefan#1 07-24-2012 06:29 PM

RIP SHERMAN HEMSLEY (aka George Jefferson)

Movin on up to that deluxe apartment in the sky...

Fifth Set 07-24-2012 06:55 PM

Brilliantly acted role, what a great show.

Fearsome Forehand 07-24-2012 07:04 PM

If you do the math, he was about 35 when the Jeffersons started. He looked much older. The woman who played his wife, Isabel Sanford?, aka Weesie, was about 20 years older than Sherman.

Last I saw of him, he was on one of those wacky reality shows, Where Losers Congregate or something on the order with Tawdry Kitten among others.

RIP.

stringertom 07-25-2012 12:35 AM

No small wonder The Jeffersons succeeded...George was awesome on All In The Family! The spin-off worked not only due to the lead characters...Tom & Helen Willis helped break down our prejudices against Black/White couples although they weren't the pioneer interracial couple...that feat still belongs to Luci & Ricky. I hope that eternal penthouse is comfortable, Sherman!

JLDN 07-25-2012 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringertom (Post 6750441)
No small wonder The Jeffersons succeeded...George was awesome on All In The Family

They sure don't make 'em like that anymore.

RIP Sherman (and Carroll O'Connor).

volleygirl 07-25-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesblakefan#1 (Post 6749951)

Movin on up to that deluxe apartment in the sky...

RIP You played that role amazingly on the Jeffersons

Kevin T 07-25-2012 09:14 AM

I loved 'The Jeffersons' as a kid. The area I lived in early in life wasn't exactly culturally diverse, so it was good exposure for me. Plus, the show is how I learned the term 'Honkie'. :)

volleygirl 07-25-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin T (Post 6751119)
I loved 'The Jeffersons' as a kid. The area I lived in early in life wasn't exactly culturally diverse, so it was good exposure for me. Plus, the show is how I learned the term 'Honkie'. :)

HAHA Honkie? Another show that could never be aired today with the politically correct environment we live in. Threes Company is another that would offend to many. You know when illegal aliens are saying theyre offended by the term "illegal alien," its gotten ridiculous.

stringertom 07-25-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLDN (Post 6750544)
They sure don't make 'em like that anymore.

RIP Sherman (and Carroll O'Connor).

Norman Lear is a genius and has now lost a third icon...Bea Arthur, Carroll, and Sherman.

CCNM 07-25-2012 03:05 PM

The Jeffersons, to me, always seemed like a cute couple. I must say I thought Mr. Helmsley was much older (he was seventy-something at the time of his death).

Fearsome Forehand 07-25-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCNM (Post 6751820)
The Jeffersons, to me, always seemed like a cute couple. I must say I thought Mr. Helmsley was much older (he was seventy-something at the time of his death).

Yes, he was only in his mid-thirties (assuming no shenanigans with his DOB) when The Jeffersons debuted. He looked and played the role of a man in his mid 40's early 50's.

I read his Wiki bio and he was a HUGE fan of progressive rock bands. (Yes, Gentle Giant, et al.) He even collaborated on an album with Jon Anderson (Yes' lead singer and nonsensical lyric writer.) To me, that alone raises his stock considerably. :)

jamesblakefan#1 07-25-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 6751877)
Yes, he was only in his mid-thirties (assuming no shenanigans with his DOB) when The Jeffersons debuted. He looked and played the role of a man in his mid 40's early 50's.

I read his Wiki bio and he was a HUGE fan of progressive rock bands. (Yes, Gentle Giant, et al.) He even collaborated on an album with Jon Anderson (Yes' lead singer and nonsensical lyric writer.) To me, that alone raises his stock considerably. :)

Apparently he also had an LSD lab in his basement back in the day...random yet somewhat hilarious fact.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...002809921.html

borg number one 07-25-2012 07:35 PM

I used to LOVE watching All in the Family and The Jeffersons together with my parents and those shows are still so hilarious. They just don't make them like that anymore. George Jefferson was such a hilarious character. One of my favorite parts of The Jeffersons was when George would do his famous walk..that was too funny. On All in the Family, watching George Jefferson go up against Archie Bunker was a clash of comic titans. Pure comedy genius!