Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gamma Supreme Overgrip - Gone Thinner? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=433730)

TripleB 07-26-2012 07:04 AM

Gamma Supreme Overgrip - Gone Thinner?

I just opened my new Pro Pack (30 overgrips) of Gamma Supreme White Overgrip. I noticed that it now has "Gamma Supreme" 'cut' into the grip at one point.

The next thing I noticed is that it felt a lot thinner. I checked it against one I pulled out of an old package and to me the new one looks and feels about half as thick as the old one.

Anyone else noticed this?

TripleB

Lefty5 07-26-2012 07:09 AM

Not specifically on this grip but it doesn't surprise me. When you get grips straight out of china, they have a lot of batch to batch variances, whether your talking about grips, strings, or rackets.

SwankPeRFection 07-26-2012 08:28 PM

What do you mean by cut? Like imprinted or physically cut out to where it would show whatever's under the overgrip?

sundaypunch 07-27-2012 06:42 AM

They have completely changed them. Thinner, branding stamped into them, and now they have the sticky end to start the grip.

DrpShot! 07-27-2012 06:57 AM

Cost cutting move.

SwankPeRFection 07-29-2012 08:14 AM

Whew... I just checked the last 30-pack I got and it appears to be the same as my old one. That's good news for now. I'd hate to have to start the search for another grip if Gamma goes to crap with this move. Probably the best feature of Supreme that I like is the tapered cuts on both ends. It makes for a really nice start and finish to the grip job. Wish more manufacturers did this because having a square cut end that you have to trim with scissors is just stupid.

pennc94 09-13-2012 01:40 PM

Is gamma grip 2 also now with "Gamma" etched into the grip?

geesechops 09-14-2012 11:40 PM

I'm really upset about this!! Now I have to find another grip, because this stuff feels like crap. Way too thin, I hate the embossed lettering, doesn't feel as tacky. I can't stand when companies take a great thing and mess it up like this.

On that note, has anyone found a grip that is similar to the now old Gamma Supreme?

ARON 09-27-2012 10:20 PM

Just used the updated version of the overgrip. Gamma supreme's niche was its long lasting tackiness, but as the previous poster said, the tackiness is gone: The grip was slick after warming up for 5 minutes. Guess it's back to super grap.

Readers 09-27-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty5 (Post 6753232)
Not specifically on this grip but it doesn't surprise me. When you get grips straight out of china, they have a lot of batch to batch variances, whether your talking about grips, strings, or rackets.

What a racist, I am sure iPhone 5 have huge batch to batch variances.

It's all about how much brand owners willing to pay for their products.

BTW the 30 pack I bought back in may are still old ones, but good to know, next time I will either go back to wilson or give solinco a try.

pennc94 01-07-2013 06:33 AM

Anyone confirmed new Supreme is different and has etched "Gamma" on face? Aside from Supergrap, any other close substitutes?

jonestim 01-07-2013 08:27 AM

I switched to Wilson Supreme: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wils...SON-PRO12.html

SwankPeRFection 01-16-2013 10:33 PM

This new version absolutely blows. To me if feels more plush than the old one. The old version used to be grippy and more raw feeling. This one make my grip (with leather beneath) feel like a damn squishy synthetic grip or something. I can't honestly say it's thinner like everyone else thinks, I think it's just way softer and possibly has a more fluffy composition. It's like playing with a god damn marshmallow overgrip. Way to go Gamma... you effin suck now!

SwankPeRFection 02-01-2013 08:40 PM

Hey guys, just wanted to update this and say that I've had a chance to try out the Gamma RZR Tac overgrip and it appears that this grip is what the old Gamma Supreme was "feel wise".

Only one problem now... the RZR Tac overgrip doesn't come in large packs as of yet. So, if you've been disappointed by the way the new Supreme feels since the changes they made to it, try this other grip and see if you like it. If you think RZR Tac is better and takes you back to the old Supreme days, contact Gamma and let them know you want large packs of this new grip or you want them to make Supreme the old fashioned way.

The Meat 02-01-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection (Post 7185861)
Hey guys, just wanted to update this and say that I've had a chance to try out the Gamma RZR Tac overgrip and it appears that this grip is what the old Gamma Supreme was "feel wise".

Only one problem now... the RZR Tac overgrip doesn't come in large packs as of yet. So, if you've been disappointed by the way the new Supreme feels since the changes they made to it, try this other grip and see if you like it. If you think RZR Tac is better and takes you back to the old Supreme days, contact Gamma and let them know you want large packs of this new grip or you want them to make Supreme the old fashioned way.

What's the cost vs Supreme? And also does it come in white?

pennc94 02-02-2013 10:29 AM

Does RZR Tac come with the embossed "Gamma"?

SwankPeRFection 02-02-2013 08:06 PM

It's like the same cost practically. Yes it comes in white. Would have been hard to just check this site? TW does sell it.

And yes, it's still embossed. You'll have to deal with that since that's the new Gamma thing. However, even with that on the grip, since the feel is just like the old Supreme, you won't even notice the embossing.

The Meat 02-02-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection (Post 7187814)
It's like the same cost practically. Yes it comes in white. Would have been hard to just check this site? TW does sell it.

And yes, it's still embossed. You'll have to deal with that since that's the new Gamma thing. However, even with that on the grip, since the feel is just like the old Supreme, you won't even notice the embossing.

Oh thanks, I wasn't sure if this was a new overgrip that came out or something because I've never heard of it until now. Will have to try this out.

Fearsome Forehand 02-03-2013 10:37 AM

Why would Gamma do something so stupid? If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

And they bring it back under a different name? Not like they are going to confuse their customers. :roll:

I usually use Supremes, Yonex Grap or Wilson Pro. I guess based on the comments above, Supremes are off my buy list.

ohplease 02-03-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Readers (Post 6923703)
What a racist, I am sure iPhone 5 have huge batch to batch variances.

It's all about how much brand owners willing to pay for their products.

BTW the 30 pack I bought back in may are still old ones, but good to know, next time I will either go back to wilson or give solinco a try.

Speaking as someone who has some knowledge of consumer electronics manufacturing yields - there are, in fact, quite large variances in iPhone 5s, as well as most other similar devices. The trick is balancing the yield of units you're willing to ship vs. the cost the market will bear.