Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Why are Olympic umpires calling the player's names instead of their nation's names? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=434092)

BreakPoint 07-29-2012 11:09 AM

Why are Olympic umpires calling the player's names instead of their nation's names?

By calling the player's names instead of their nation's names, it makes the Olympics more like any other tournament on tour instead of being special and the players playing for their countries. Don't they call the nation's names in most other Olympic sports where it's just one-on-one or one team vs. one team? Heck, they even call only the nation's names in Davis Cup, so why not also in the Olympics? I mean, aren't the players supposed to playing for their countries and not just playing for themselves?

So instead of the umpire calling - "Game, Tsonga" or "Advantage, Djokovic", shouldn't they be calling - "Game, France" and "Advantage, Serbia"?

BullDogTennis 07-29-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 6760580)
By calling the player's names instead of their nation's names, it makes the Olympics more like any other tournament on tour instead of being special and the players playing for their countries. Don't they call the nation's names in most other Olympic sports where it's just one-on-one or one team vs. one team? Heck, they even call only the nation's names in Davis Cup, so why not also in the Olympics? I mean, aren't the players supposed to playing for their countries and not just playing for themselves?

So instead of the umpire calling - "Game, Tsonga" or "Advantage, Djokovic", shouldn't they be calling - "Game, France" and "Advantage, Serbia"?

what about when same nation is in the match...."team america serving to team america"

phelps and lochte in same race for example. "and america pulls away, america is catching up, america takes the lead, america is head to head...

BreakPoint 07-29-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BullDogTennis (Post 6760588)
what about when same nation is in the match...."team america serving to team america"

phelps and lochte in same race for example. "and america pulls away, america is catching up, america takes the lead, america is head to head...

Phelps and Lochte are not in a one on one race. Besides, there's no umpire calling the score in swimming.

I guess only when both players in a tennis match are from the same nation should calling the players by their names be allowed. But I don't think that happens very often in the Olympics. In fact, I can't recall when that's ever happened.

Breaker 07-29-2012 11:23 AM

Davis Cup is all about the team and the team as a whole is awarded the trophy.

Medals are awarded to individuals.

Ash_Smith 07-29-2012 11:24 AM

They call the players names because although they are representing their countries, they are still competing as individuals, they qualify as individual athletes. Same in Athletics, they don't announce Usain Bolt as Jamaica 1 and Yohan Blake ask Jamaica 2 when they make the announcements!

rommil 07-29-2012 11:24 AM

When the umpire says "Spain" it might automatically imply dopers :)

The Bawss 07-29-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rommil (Post 6760607)
When the umpire says "Spain" it might automatically imply dopers :)

hehehehehehe

BreakPoint 07-29-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breaker (Post 6760605)
Davis Cup is all about the team and the team as a whole is awarded the trophy.

Medals are awarded to individuals.

Then why do they keep track of each countries medal count? Why not only name the individuals who have won medals?

Mainad 07-29-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 6760580)

Difference is that Davis Cup is a team event and medals are awarded to the team. Whilst Olympians are representing their countries they are still competing as individuals and medals are awarded to them as individuals and not as members of a team.

BreakPoint 07-29-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash_Smith (Post 6760606)
They call the players names because although they are representing their countries, they are still competing as individuals, they qualify as individual athletes. Same in Athletics, they don't announce Usain Bolt as Jamaica 1 and Yohan Blake ask Jamaica 2 when they make the announcements!

There's no umpire calling the score in athletics.

Besides, in Olympic tennis, the two players on the opposite sides of the net are almost always from two different countries.

I still think it would give the players a greater sense of national pride and responsibility if they called the score by their nation's names - just like it does in Davis Cup.

ollinger 07-29-2012 12:14 PM

Stupid obfuscation. The "they" that keeps track of nations' medal counts is the press, the "they" that calls out players' names are the olympic officials. See the difference?

ollinger 07-29-2012 12:16 PM

Even you (begrudgingly??) acknowledge that players are "almost" always from different countries --- but they needn't be --- so calling out country names just wouldn't do.

BreakPoint 07-29-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 6760694)
Difference is that Davis Cup is a team event and medals are awarded to the team. Whilst Olympians are representing their countries they are still competing as individuals and medals are awarded to them as individuals and not as members of a team.

I don't think that matters. The players are still there representing their countries - that's the whole purpose of the Olympics. That's why on the awards podium, they play the national anthem of the gold medal winner and not his or her favorite pop song.

Even in Davis Cup, EACH player on the team gets a trophy. And in DC singles, they are also out on the court by themselves competing one-on-one.

BreakPoint 07-29-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 6760712)
Even you (begrudgingly??) acknowledge that players are "almost" always from different countries --- but they needn't be --- so calling out country names just wouldn't do.

Why not? How many times has two players from the same country played each other?

And if it happens, then they can add the player's name to their nation's name. Just like when Venus plays Serena - they use both their first and last names.

BreakPoint 07-29-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 6760707)
Stupid obfuscation. The "they" that keeps track of nations' medal counts is the press, the "they" that calls out players' names are the olympic officials. See the difference?

No, I don't. Are you saying the players are all there for themselves only and are NOT representing their countries at all? Then why is Federer wearing his nation's colors and why was he so proud of having won a gold medal for Switzerland in 2008?

The Olympics are supposed to be about nation vs. nation. That's why during the opening ceremony, the athletes are grouped by their countries and walk together instead of coming out by themselves.

Rippy 07-29-2012 12:24 PM

I find it strange that on the onscreen score, it uses countries. It seems odd when the player's name is used everywhere else.

fps 07-29-2012 12:27 PM

I think ollinger has made two of the best points. It's all fairly obvious to anyone older than 7 anyway.

Mainad 07-29-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rippy (Post 6760729)
I find it strange that on the onscreen score, it uses countries. It seems odd when the player's name is used everywhere else.

The players' names are certainly up on the scoreboard as well.

BreakPoint 07-29-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fps (Post 6760734)
I think ollinger has made two of the best points. It's all fairly obvious to anyone older than 7 anyway.

Really? So the Olympics is just another tournament on the ATP Tour and playing for your country has zero relevance? Hmmm....then I wonder what gave Massu the extra motivation to win Chile's first gold medals EVER in ANY sport in both singles and doubles in 2004 when he didn't manage to win anything else of significance in his entire career?

Rippy 07-29-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 6760749)
The players' names are certainly up on the scoreboard as well.

I mean the virtual scoreboard only shown on the TV/computer (I don't know if it has a proper name, it's just a graphic at the top left of the screen). I don't mean the physical scoreboard on the court.