Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What's your phone plan? Is it any good? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=434185)

max 07-30-2012 07:32 AM

What's your phone plan? Is it any good?

I've got 2 cellphones, a landline (very nice thing) and internet connection through ATT.

I'm not pleased with the monthly charge of around $175-190 for this. I hardly use one of the cellphones; it all seems very pricey.

I'm thinking about jumping off the ATT freighter: any tips or suggestions on good plans to look into?

West Coast Ace 07-30-2012 02:50 PM

I'd suggest negotiating (aka threatening) before leaving. They may give you a deal if you've been with them a long time.

I've been with AT&T a long time: I have an iPhone 4S - 2GB data/mo, more phone minutes than I ever get close to using + 4G aircard for my laptops - 5GB/mo data. $99/mo. I'm happy with their service; Verizon was the worst in customer service.

tenniscasey 07-30-2012 05:43 PM

I've been a Verizon wireless customer for about eight years. Their service has been fantastic, I've never had a problem with them.

What's the value of a landline? I gave up my landline about three years ago and have never missed it once.

Feña14 07-30-2012 06:27 PM

£10 ($15) a month for 250 minutes, unlimited calls to people on the same network, unlimted texts and truly unlimited data.

max 07-31-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenniscasey (Post 6764106)
I've been a Verizon wireless customer for about eight years. Their service has been fantastic, I've never had a problem with them.

What's the value of a landline? I gave up my landline about three years ago and have never missed it once.

It's dependable. Doesn't fade in and out, when a connection's made a connection's made. Plus, it's on your desk and handy.

Cellphones are to me an annoyance. Dislike the "always on call" notion.

LuckyR 07-31-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feña14 (Post 6764207)
£10 ($15) a month for 250 minutes, unlimited calls to people on the same network, unlimted texts and truly unlimited data.

...from which service?

Feña14 07-31-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 6765593)
...from which service?

Giffgaff. It's sim only, so if you can pick up a phone on the O2 network or unlocked, you can save around £25 ($40) a month. It's not a contract either so you can stop it at any time, which I like. My sister is on it too and she's in America for the summer, she just stopped it and will top up when she gets home to carry on. If she was on a regular contract it would of ended up costing her nearly £100 ($150) over the summer whilst her phone was not in use.

It's cheap, no data limits and you aren't tied into a contract. It's probably not for everyone as you don't get the free phone when you sign up, but if you already have a phone it's great.

LuckyR 07-31-2012 08:56 AM

Barring this sort of deal (which I have never heard of anything even close in the States), only the wealthy, business folks who get it free from work or need it to run their business are likely not to be making a financial mistake from a data plan.

spacediver 07-31-2012 06:20 PM

I'm with mobilicity - after tax and everything, my monthly phone bill is exactly $28.25 and i get unlimited incoming and outgoing calls and texts. For around $40 I could get unlimited data on top of this.

Oh, and no contract whatsoever.

sportsfan1 07-31-2012 07:33 PM

I ditched major carriers after a long time with them. Thing that annoyed me the most was that if you want a phone with wifi capability, you have to pay them atleast $30 USD for a data plan regardless of whether you actually use it or not.

LuckyR 08-01-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportsfan1 (Post 6766976)
I ditched major carriers after a long time with them. Thing that annoyed me the most was that if you want a phone with wifi capability, you have to pay them atleast $30 USD for a data plan regardless of whether you actually use it or not.

Bingo.....

Magic of tennis 08-01-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max (Post 6762741)
I've got 2 cellphones, a landline (very nice thing) and internet connection through ATT.

I'm not pleased with the monthly charge of around $175-190 for this. I hardly use one of the cellphones; it all seems very pricey.

I'm thinking about jumping off the ATT freighter: any tips or suggestions on good plans to look into?

ATT is the worst. I used to use ATT internet, land line and cell phone service.
Their fee is one of the most expensive and service was aweful. DSL Internet was so slow. I cancelled Internet and landline service. I am planing to cancel cell phone service as well. I switched to Comcast for Internet. The fee is the same but speed was 10- 50 times faster if not more. For land line I use magic Jack for $1.97 per month. I am pondering what cell phone service I use. I like Samsung Galaxy Note so I am thinking T-Mobile. Any suggestion for good cell phone service?