Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   pro kennex q5 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=434238)

zedek 07-30-2012 02:06 PM

pro kennex q5

has anyone heard any news about pro kennex coming out with a q5 racket, one that would have similar specs to the ki5? Also has anyone used the volkl organix 9? can you please provide me with your opinion on the organix' power, comfort, stability, control? it seems to have not received good reviews from TW. :cry:

canadad 08-22-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedek (Post 6763553)
has anyone heard any news about pro kennex coming out with a q5 racket, one that would have similar specs to the ki5? Also has anyone used the volkl organix 9? can you please provide me with your opinion on the organix' power, comfort, stability, control? it seems to have not received good reviews from TW. :cry:

I see that the specs for the Q5 315 and 295 are in Racquet Finder. Where did you see there were poor reviews from TW?
http://www.racquetfinder.com/compare.php?pcode=PXFC

Ramon 08-24-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadad (Post 6826198)
I see that the specs for the Q5 315 and 295 are in Racquet Finder. Where did you see there were poor reviews from TW?
http://www.racquetfinder.com/compare.php?pcode=PXFC

It's interesting that it looks like PK is planning to go thicker and stiffer with the Q5. Maybe they figured their main player's stick wil be the QTour?

canadad 08-24-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6831614)
It's interesting that it looks like PK is planning to go thicker and stiffer with the Q5. Maybe they figured their main player's stick wil be the QTour?

I wonder if there will be an extended version. I am loving the Ki 5 and curious to try the Ki 5x or the 7g. I had not used Pro Kennex racquets until recently and have fallen in love with the Ki 5. I find it pretty forgiving actually. I have an arm that can't take much, so it is pretty plush. You play with the Ki 5x don't you? I have never actually used an extending length racquet and think it may help my 5'10 self play bigger.

Ramon 08-25-2012 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadad (Post 6832356)
I wonder if there will be an extended version. I am loving the Ki 5 and curious to try the Ki 5x or the 7g. I had not used Pro Kennex racquets until recently and have fallen in love with the Ki 5. I find it pretty forgiving actually. I have an arm that can't take much, so it is pretty plush. You play with the Ki 5x don't you? I have never actually used an extending length racquet and think it may help my 5'10 self play bigger.

When I bought the Ki 5x, I expected it be like the Ki 5 only longer, afterall, the specs are similar, right? Wrong! The difference in perceived mass is bigger than the specs suggest. I was whipping around the Ki 5 like it was just another light, modern frame like the APDGT. However, when I picked up the Ki 5x, I had to change the swing on my forehand because I could no longer put easy spin on the ball with my wrist. Eventually, I adjusted to it, and all is well now. The extra length helps on serve. It also seems to add stability, or maybe it's just the fact that I tend to hit on the higher part of the hoop and the extra length moves my contact point closer to the sweetspot.

Go ahead and demo it. It's worth a try, but be prepared for the change.

canadad 09-11-2012 11:35 PM

Looks like the sites are up, but no picture yet.
295- http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-KIQ5L.html
315- http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-KIQ5.html
Little pictures in the compare tool:
http://www.racquetfinder.com/compare...5N12&x=44&y=23

Ramon 09-13-2012 08:54 PM

The pictures are up now. They look nice. It's tempting to try the Q5 315, but I'm still not wild about the wider and stiffer beam. I might be closer to a QTour kinda guy. I still like my Ki 5x with its extended length and more of the kinetic technology. I'll probably wait a bit longer for now, but I'll be interested to hear what other people think about the new frames.

El Diablo 09-14-2012 03:54 PM

^^ funny that you refer to the "wider beam." The Q has a straight 22.5 mm beam, your racquet has a straight 22 mm beam, a difference probably within the margin of error of measurement and one you'd be unlikely to even detect by looking at the racquets. Also, your racquet has less, not more, of the kinetic technology as they've added more kinetic cells in the new frames.

athleticstennis 09-14-2012 04:47 PM

This racquet is intriguing me...

Ramon 09-14-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Diablo (Post 6900033)
^^ funny that you refer to the "wider beam." The Q has a straight 22.5 mm beam, your racquet has a straight 22 mm beam, a difference probably within the margin of error of measurement and one you'd be unlikely to even detect by looking at the racquets. Also, your racquet has less, not more, of the kinetic technology as they've added more kinetic cells in the new frames.

It's not just the beam width, it's also coupled with the higher stiffness. If you raised the stiffness by the same amount again, you would have something as stiff as a Pure Drive. The spec changes look significant to me. Obviously, they are moving it in the direction of a tweener frame. I suppose that's not such a bad idea since they also sell the QTour anyway. Knowing my game and personal preferences, I would probably like the QTour better, but I won't know for sure until I try.

I heard that the Q Series has 4 kinetic chambers at the 2, 10, 8, and 4 positions, and that's it, while the Ionic/Kinetic series has a kinetic strip that covers most of the hoop and also has kinetic particles in the handle. I've also heard from QTour owners on this forum that you can barely hear the particles when you shake the racquet, but that sound is more pronounced in the Ionic/Kinetic frames.

canadad 09-15-2012 02:57 PM

It will be interesting to see how this plays with its stiffness being increased like this. What immediately comes to my mind is more power, less feel and less control. We'll see I guess. I also wonder if these racquets will get the PSE and X treatment.

Ramon 09-15-2012 03:26 PM

By looking at the specs, you can tell that the Q5's are right in the middle of the QTour and Q15, so it makes sense for that lineup. If they had the same stiffness as the Ki 5, they would basically be lighter QTours. 295g would be too light for a true player's spec racquet. I see the Q5 competing with the Wilson Juice, Head IG Extreme, and Prince Warrior.

The Ki 5/5x are the player's spec Ionic frames. I hope PK keeps making them because they are significantly different from the Q5; not just different specs but also different implementations of Kinetic technology. I suspect the days of the 5G and 7G are numbered.

As for a Q5+ and Q5 PSE, I doubt it. Personally, I'd rather see a QTour+, and who would want a 67 stiffness frame that's nearly 13 oz?

athleticstennis 09-15-2012 05:38 PM

I would like to see the upgraded ki 5 pse (q 5 pse) with similar specs to the ki 5 pse. There's not too much wrong with that racquet, and is my favorite or second favorite of all time.

kenyee 09-15-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6900475)
I've also heard from QTour owners on this forum that you can barely hear the particles when you shake the racquet

Head yes (you can't hear it), handle no (you can still hear it in the QTour).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6901485)
I suspect the days of the 5G and 7G are numbered.

I hope not...I found the Ki5 too stiff compared to the 5G...I'd get a spare 5G if they got rid of it :-P

tolesy 09-17-2012 05:55 PM

I am curious about the new Q5s.

I have a Qtour with a leather grip. I love the frame off the ground, i'm hitting deeper and flatter than ever before, but I struggle with generating good spin and pop off the serve.

So tempted to test a new Q5... Can't wait for customer reviews or a TW review.

Ramon 09-17-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tolesy (Post 6905134)
I am curious about the new Q5s.

I have a Qtour with a leather grip. I love the frame off the ground, i'm hitting deeper and flatter than ever before, but I struggle with generating good spin and pop off the serve.

So tempted to test a new Q5... Can't wait for customer reviews or a TW review.

If you're looking for more spin and pop on your serve, you should demo the Ki 5x as well. The stiffness is similar to the QTour, it has a more open string pattern, and it has an extra half-inch of length. It's the best serving racquet I ever used, and I happen to like it on everything else, too.

mikeler 09-18-2012 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6901485)
By looking at the specs, you can tell that the Q5's are right in the middle of the QTour and Q15, so it makes sense for that lineup. If they had the same stiffness as the Ki 5, they would basically be lighter QTours. 295g would be too light for a true player's spec racquet. I see the Q5 competing with the Wilson Juice, Head IG Extreme, and Prince Warrior.

The Ki 5/5x are the player's spec Ionic frames. I hope PK keeps making them because they are significantly different from the Q5; not just different specs but also different implementations of Kinetic technology. I suspect the days of the 5G and 7G are numbered.

As for a Q5+ and Q5 PSE, I doubt it. Personally, I'd rather see a QTour+, and who would want a 67 stiffness frame that's nearly 13 oz?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

JGads 09-18-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6905965)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

agreed.........

canadad 09-19-2012 06:37 PM

Has anyone ordered this? I was going to, but I sprained my ankle. I'm also eager to see what the feedback is like.

ollinger 09-19-2012 06:44 PM

I have one (315 gm.) that a friend just purchased, strung with Silverstring, letting me play with it tomorrow morning. I'll post some feedback.