Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   TW Questions/Comments (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Chris Edwards- Question re Volkl C10 Pro (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=434275)

Murray_fan1 07-30-2012 07:46 PM

Chris Edwards- Question re Volkl C10 Pro

Chris,

I was checking out some of the player profiles from the racquet review pages and noticed you have the C10 Pro listed as your current stick. Just wondering why you switched to this from the Prestige MP? Also since you previously used the PB 10 Mid I was wondering if you can give a short comparison between the C10 and the PB 10 Mid?

Thanks in advance?

TW Staff 07-31-2012 09:22 PM

I have been doing a bunch of string testing recently and put some in a C10 Pro to see how it would play. I have always found that racquet just a tad too lively for my taste, but with some of the firmer polys we have been testing, it plays great. I've also bumped up my tension from 52lbs to 55 and up depending on the string. So far I've been playing really well with the C10 Pro, I've dialed in the stringbed with more control and the racquet feels more solid and stable than the Prestige MP.

Compared to the PB 10 Mid, the C10 Pro feels like it swings with more mass and has a livelier feel. Both are silky smooth in their response, but the ball jumps off the C10 Pro faster for me. The PB 10 Mid is a faster racquet that's easier to snap through contact but the C10 Pro offers more plow through and stability.

Hope that helps.
Chris, TW

JGads 07-31-2012 10:30 PM

What's your favorite poly in the C10, Chris?

El Zed 07-31-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 6767040)
I have been doing a bunch of string testing recently and put some in a C10 Pro to see how it would play. I have always found that racquet just a tad too lively for my taste, but with some of the firmer polys we have been testing, it plays great. I've also bumped up my tension from 52lbs to 55 and up depending on the string. So far I've been playing really well with the C10 Pro, I've dialed in the stringbed with more control and the racquet feels more solid and stable than the Prestige MP.

Compared to the PB 10 Mid, the C10 Pro feels like it swings with more mass and has a livelier feel. Both are silky smooth in their response, but the ball jumps off the C10 Pro faster for me. The PB 10 Mid is a faster racquet that's easier to snap through contact but the C10 Pro offers more plow through and stability.

Hope that helps.
Chris, TW

Not to intrude, but did you get a chance to play with the McEnroe pro-stock stick? Any distinguishing features?

JGads 07-31-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Zed (Post 6767165)
Not to intrude, but did you get a chance to play with the McEnroe pro-stock stick? Any distinguishing features?

That's actually the C10 Pro I currently have, the Mac stick, and it's sweet swinging and loaded with power. A firm, controlled poly actually sounds quite nice for this frame, hence my question to Chris.

TW Staff 08-01-2012 09:47 AM

Luxilon 4G has been my favorite so far. I can string that up tightly and still find plenty of comfort and all the pop I want while control and spin is great. I also like Solinco Tour Bite 16 as the firm/low powered feel is ideal for the power I find hitting with the C10 Pro.

With livelier polys, I string them up tighter. I went from 52lbs with the Prestige MP to a 55-57lbs average with the C10 Pro.

Chris, TW

Dgdavid 08-01-2012 10:20 AM

Are the various C10 Pro versions (at least the recent ones) the same bar the paint jobs?

TW Staff 08-01-2012 10:35 AM

I have not hit any from the batch we just sold, but have hit earlier pro stock from Volkl. All I have hit, and the recent ones we measured for customers, come in very light with all the weight/balance to be set by the customizer. If you know what you like, they make a great way of taking a racquet like the C10 Pro and tailoring it to your exact spec preferences.

Chris, TW

andress 08-08-2012 04:47 PM

Chris, why did you switch from Volkl pb 10 mid to Head Prestige IG midplus?

TW Staff 08-14-2012 04:16 PM

I was getting the same control, but was able to get more spin through faster swing speeds. I'm also very happy with my results with the Prestige MP when playing matches.

That being said, I've been using the Volkl C10 Pro an awful lot recently for string testing as I find it a gerat racquet to test string in and I'm really liking it with some of the deader polys we've been testing (I had found it too lively when I had hit it in the past).

Chris, TW

iceinbangkok 10-27-2012 09:28 PM

Chris, I noticed on the specs pages that there is a difference in composition between the 2010 and 2012 models of the C10 Pro. E.g. tungsten in 2010 model vs Kevlar in 2012 model. I seem to remember kevlar being in the original C10 Pro.

Is it the 2012 model you are referring to in your recent review, and is that what you are using? Does it stick true to the original C10 Pro? Was there any noticeable difference between the 2010 model and the 2012 model? I notice that the Power Levels were rated as different - 2010 being "low" whereas 2012 is "low-medium".

iceinbangkok 10-28-2012 06:54 AM

Sorry All - I just noticed that the specs are the same on the Racket Description pages. It is on the "Compare" page, with the 2 rackets side-by-side, that the 2 racket specs diverge, but I presume that is a typo. I assume now that the 2010 specs are the same as the 2012 ones.

mrmike 10-28-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceinbangkok (Post 6979025)
Sorry All - I just noticed that the specs are the same on the Racket Description pages. It is on the "Compare" page, with the 2 rackets side-by-side, that the 2 racket specs diverge, but I presume that is a typo. I assume now that the 2010 specs are the same as the 2012 ones.

You are right, I have hit both the 2008 and 2010 models and those play identical. Of course there are some manufacturing variations, but the materials and specs should be the same through the 2012 model also.

mrmike 01-17-2013 06:31 AM

Chris, I have a question for you? What would be the most dead non-poly synthetic to try in the C10 pro? My arm just does not accept poly strings of any kind. I am spraying balls long when facing certain style defensive players using a full multi @ 60lbs. I know a lot of it is probably technique, but a dead string setup would provide some more confidence to swing out.

TW Staff 01-17-2013 11:36 AM

Ashaway Dynamite is low powered and very comfortable. GO with the 16 gauge to lower power still.

We get Titan natural gut in 15g at times and that is a good option as the thicker gauge takes some of the power away. Hybridizing with a low powered, basic syn gut cross can also help deaden the stringbed. Again, thicker gauges are going to be your friend.

Hope that helps,
Chris, TW

NJ1 01-17-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7129494)
Ashaway Dynamite is low powered and very comfortable. GO with the 16 gauge to lower power still.

We get Titan natural gut in 15g at times and that is a good option as the thicker gauge takes some of the power away. Hybridizing with a low powered, basic syn gut cross can also help deaden the stringbed. Again, thicker gauges are going to be your friend.

Hope that helps,
Chris, TW

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450390

Chris, when you get chance please check the last post and let me know. Jason already gave feedback but would like yours as well. Thanks.

mrmike 01-17-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7129494)

Hope that helps,
Chris, TW

Thanks Chris, I appreciate the advice from a fellow Volkl fan !

B.B. 02-11-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 6767040)

Hope that helps.
Chris, TW

Im looking to replace my Prince precision response ti (love the frames but they are dead and dull now), do you think the C10 could be a contender?

Boricua 02-11-2013 12:25 PM

Some people in the board state that the C10 is too flexible. My only reference point using Volkl is the Organix 8 which is a tweener and thicker beamed racket. So, what would you say of the C10 being too flexible? Also, I should add that cosmetically it is a very good looking racket.

TW Staff 02-12-2013 10:03 AM

B.B.
DOn't give up on Prince just yet. They might have something in the future that will appeal to you as right now they are restructuring and coming up with new models.

That being said, the C10 Pro is a great racquet and well worth a demo. It has good power, tons of feel and control and plays silky smooth. The grip shape is very different to Prince, so that will likely be an adjustment.

Boricua,
It does offer a flexible response, but unlike other flexy racquets, the C10 Pro also offers good power. The combination of a comfortable and smooth flexible feel and the power are what I think make it a special racquet.

Chris, TW