Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Playing better in practice than the match (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=4343)

KingBugsy 05-04-2004 07:28 PM

Playing better in practice than the match

Any advice on how to carry over the strokes one hits in practice (or when just hitting) to the match? I seem to hit out more, and am more consistent with better pace in practice. I feel like I really swing through the ball more so than when I am actually in a match. Any advice on how to make the transition from practice to match play?

finchy 05-04-2004 08:29 PM

i'd put into my mind that while im playing a match that im actually practicing. that is normally what i do anyways. any shot u hit will show u what u are doing right or wrong. i always try to hit every ball that comes at me reasonably because i could be in that situation in a real match.

on every mistake i make, i try to look at what i did wrong. i get experience for every ball hit out, or to the net because i try to correct what i did wrong.

so just test things out in a real match. i found my forehand that way. it was weird. one day i decided to try something out and it worked and felt good.

tnkGod4tns 05-04-2004 10:03 PM

playing more matches is the way to go, play in leagues and tournaments, you have to balance your practice time with your match time although I try to lean more on matches during the season, off season try to concentrate more on your fitness and conditioning, hit the gym more to get stronger, quicker and use the off time from tennis to heal some of those overwork tennis muscles.

kevhen 05-05-2004 07:36 AM

Are you hitting practice balls while on the run? It's harder to step in and hit out in a match when you are on the run and also when your opponent is focused on running down your practice "winners". Hit more balls in match-like situations and less balls in flat-footed practice situations. Good luck.

aahala 05-05-2004 08:03 AM

I suggest a portion of your practice should be more intense than what you likely have in actual play.

Have your partner at the net feed balls as rapidly as possible, practice some volleys with your partner being only 10 feet from you or serving from the service line, drills to move you repeatedly into and back from the net etc.

predrag 05-05-2004 11:29 AM

Re: Playing better in practice than the match

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingBugsy
Any advice on how to carry over the strokes one hits in practice (or when just hitting) to the match? I seem to hit out more, and am more consistent with better pace in practice. I feel like I really swing through the ball more so than when I am actually in a match. Any advice on how to make the transition from practice to match play?

This is more common than you'd think.

When you practice, your practice partner does not attack as much, so you do not have to run as much, you have more time, just stand there and swing at the ball.

Some people try to play it safer, some got scared.

The only way is to play a lot of matches.
You need to practice, but match play is what builds your confidence.

And also when you are playing matches you need to make yourself to swing out at the ball.
Just go out and have fun :)

"Damn the torpedos, full steam ahead"

:):)
Regards, Predrag

i.Radical 05-05-2004 03:59 PM

I used to have the same problem, and although I still play better during practices, my gameplay during matches is not as different as it used to be. The reason I played better in practices was because there was no pressure. You don't really worry too much about winning, just playing. What I would recommend is to just get out there and play lots of matches. Tournaments are good.

ChineseRedneck 05-05-2004 06:46 PM

Yes... the answer if definitely more matches. Your mind knows all the strokes. All you need is consistancy which you can get by playing a lot of matches. To win is to be consistent. The ratio needs to be higher in matches than practices.

finchy 05-05-2004 08:19 PM

yea, i had the problem of being too safe earlier in the season which caused me to suck badly.

gain confidence in your shots. you have to believe in yourself that you can make good shots. lol, that sounded really corny.

bulldawgtennis 05-05-2004 08:31 PM

The way you practice becomes the way that you play. Repetition, especially match play as some of the others have already suggested, is great a way to gain confidence. By gaining confidence, the way you feel about your improved game will prevent you from psyching yourself out. Play with moderate power, and when you are up big in a game, don't be afraid to take a couple rips. That can be a confidence-booster as well.