Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Grass is 90's fast again! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=434378)

BeHappy 07-31-2012 04:49 PM

Grass is 90's fast again!

It really is. Wimbledon championships and again at this Olympics it's been 90's fast. Maybe they couldn't use the rye because of the quick regrowth they required for the Olympics?

WhiskeyEE 07-31-2012 04:52 PM

It didn't look 90s speed at wimbledon. It doesn't to me now either, but I haven't watched much.

Timbo's hopeless slice 07-31-2012 04:56 PM

I didn't think it looked especially quick at the Championships but it looks quick now, watched Hewitt hitting winners all over the place against Cilic, needs to be a pretty fast surface for that to happen!

In a remarkable break from normal practice, I agree with BeHappy (sort of)

rofl_copter3 07-31-2012 05:01 PM

Olympics grass is quite quick I agree but the championships was only moderate

cluckcluck 07-31-2012 05:26 PM

I wonder if the USO is going to be faster this year? I hope so.

JustBob 07-31-2012 05:31 PM

It's especially fast around the baseline where there is no grass left. :)

Bobby Jr 07-31-2012 05:33 PM

It doesn't look as fast as 90s grass but the wet weather since Wimbledon seems to have sped it up somewhat.

SLD76 07-31-2012 06:04 PM

goerges said on the day she beat radwanska the grass wasnt that quick

MichaelNadal 07-31-2012 06:31 PM

It's super fast bc Nadal isn't there to show you how slow it is :D

illkhiboy 07-31-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelNadal (Post 6766863)

Haha

And Wimbledon was fast because Nadal lost to a big server.

But you know, it does seem to have slowed down over the years when you compare it to say, 2003-2004. The grass seemed to be playing fairly quick in the 2004 final, and there was plenty of bad bounces. Compared to that, in the 2009 final it was playing like a hard court and relatively slower.

Nothing to take away from Nadal, he was so quick to adapt to the surface. I was watching the 2006 Wimbledon final and contrary to popular opinion, he was playing really well. By 2008 he had added more finesse to his game, and that helped him to finally win it.

kishnabe 07-31-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelNadal (Post 6766863)

Yes thank you for the truth. Every tournament Nadal plays turns slow except for the Indoor hardcourts season.

1.) Nadal court speed changing stench can not overcome the Bercy crowd Arrogance stench.

2.) WTF lights burn Nadal stench.

YouCantBeSerious 07-31-2012 07:31 PM

Fail. It's faster. Not that close to old grass though.

Blade0324 08-01-2012 05:50 AM

I don't know if it's fast or not, but it is certainly very slippery and positively a disgrace to show the rest of the world that doesn't normally follow tennis that grass just isn't a good surface for today's game. Every player out there is slipping like they are on ice.

MariaRafael 08-01-2012 06:39 AM

I just love all these guys with built-in speedometers. Hopefully, the equipment does not interfere with your routine vision.

Sitting at best in front of their TVs (some are using tiny computer screens) they see whether the grass plays 2 km/hour faster, or 3 km/hour slower.

Despite all the calibration tests, numerous statements from the Wimbledon management and ITF about the blooming grass, arm chair pundits are still chewing this lucrative subject. Bon appetit!

augustobt 08-01-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariaRafael (Post 6768127)
I just love all these guys with built-in speedometers. Hopefully, the equipment does not interfere with your routine vision.

Sitting at best in front of their TVs (some are using tiny computer screens) they see whether the grass plays 2 km/hour faster, or 3 km/hour slower.

Despite all the calibration tests, numerous statements from the Wimbledon management and ITF about the blooming grass, arm chair pundits are still chewing this lucrative subject. Bon appetit!

Didn't understand what point you are trying to debate.

BeHappy 08-01-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Tsonga was the first serve and volleying semi finalist in about 10 years and Serena Williams served a record number of aces.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

tennis_pro 08-01-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

If you actually watched tennis instead of moaning all the time you'd notice the differences with your naked eye.

BeHappy 08-01-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_pro (Post 6768303)
If you actually watched tennis instead of moaning all the time you'd notice the differences with your naked eye.

Apparently it's impossible to judge how fast things move with your eye.

Can you imagine her trying to cross the road without getting run over?

augustobt 08-01-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeHappy (Post 6768310)
Apparently it's impossible to judge how fast things move with your eye.

Can you imagine her trying to cross the road without getting run over?

She will argue that the cars don't bounce in the street, so that isn't a valid comparison.

kiki 08-01-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeHappy (Post 6766687)
It really is. Wimbledon championships and again at this Olympics it's been 90's fast. Maybe they couldn't use the rye because of the quick regrowth they required for the Olympics?

Is this a joke? I donīt see anybody remotely far playing as the 1990īs players...you never watched tennis before 2000, isnīt it?