Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Should the Olympics be a best 3 out of 5 format? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=434384)

FedExpress117 07-31-2012 06:26 PM

Should the Olympics be a best 3 out of 5 format?

It comes once every 4 years, and it's not a Grand Slam but it's still more important than a Masters Series tournament. I think they should to give an advantage to top players who benefit more from having that format. I would personally hate to see a top player like Fed or Djoker not have the chance to be down 2 sets to 1 or 0-2 (which they have been many times) and make a comeback. Thoughts?

kishnabe 07-31-2012 06:41 PM

Nope...it would be even more tiring for them in the hectic season.

Peaking o a 5 setter would mess up their energy tank for the US open!

Paul Murphy 07-31-2012 07:42 PM

No thanks.
Not a fan of tennis at the Olympics.
Roll on the USO and those lovely hardcourts.

bluetrain4 07-31-2012 07:46 PM

Definitely not. The final is best of 5, isn't it? That's enough.

I always thought a more interesting format should be used. It's just like any other tournament, though obviously there's the thrill of the Olympics and playing for ones country.

Bartelby 07-31-2012 07:46 PM

Should only be for under 21 players.

TeflonTom 07-31-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FedExpress117 (Post 6766849)
It comes once every 4 years, and it's not a Grand Slam but it's still more important than a Masters Series tournament.

not accordin 2 the atp rankings points

olympics is completely irrelevant as a tennis tournament. its only important in terms o the individual athletes wanting 2 be an olympic champion. therefore no point comparing it to slams, masters, etc

shouldnt be on the olympic calendar at all, really

Federererer 07-31-2012 07:56 PM

Olympics tennis just appears weird. Like a fringe tournament where all the nobodies play, but now happens to be filled with big names. I dunno, just something less exciting about Olympics vs regular tennis tourneys including some of the really important Masters

TheBoom 07-31-2012 08:10 PM

I was actually thinking about this earlier and I think 5 sets is a bit excessive for the Olympics if you think about it a lot of the events aren't all that long especially track events and swimming a best of 5 set match can last for hours even days (case and point isner vs mahut) a best of 3 seems the most logical and it is short enough to get fans outside of the tennis community to come and support the players because they won't be in a chair for 5 hours just a thought

OldFedIsOld 07-31-2012 08:53 PM

Masters = 1000 points = best of 3 sets.

Olympics = 750 points = best of 3 sets, excluding the finals.

WTF is even more important because of the 1500 points lol.

YellowBall77 07-31-2012 08:54 PM

I think the Olympics is worth more than 750 points mathematically, because the points do not have to be defended.

Sentinel 07-31-2012 09:57 PM

Let it be best of 3, so top players can play the doubles, too.

IF the slams could move to a Bo3 format, we c/would see Noel, Fred and Ralph played doubles too.

wilkinru 07-31-2012 10:00 PM

I wish they had a 3rd set tiebreaker too.

This 23-25 business in the 3rd is stupid.

Just treat it like a ATP tourney across the board.

Tennis_Hands 08-01-2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartelby (Post 6766994)
Should only be for under 21 players.

That.

And the current format is the maximum I can endure.

That tournament has never been anything special for me. And it will not be in the future.

Dave M 08-01-2012 01:14 AM

I don't think it should be a best of 5, i don't actually think it should have points personally,if they don't want to play in it for the experiance of being in the olympics then they shouldn't play.

Enigma_87 08-01-2012 01:34 AM

2 things I'd change:

1. Include a 3rd set tie braker
2. no atp points for this event as you can't defend it next year.

Russeljones 08-01-2012 01:48 AM

If it were 3/5 the regular season would have to be reshuffled around that to allow for the added strain on the tennis players. I think that's too complicated to arrange in this day and age.

Strobe Lights 08-01-2012 04:54 AM

It would mean a best of 5 tournament each month for four months in a row. If it was best of 5 then it would be over two weeks and would fit even less into the tennis calendar. It would not work.

I still don't think tennis should be in the Olympics. Nor should football or golf, which will join in 2016. These are sports that have their own big tournaments and history. It is almost embarrassing how much more important Wimbledon is than the Olympics for tennis. That shouldn't be the case for an event in the Olympics Games.

Obviously the prestige will increase if Djokovic wins and even more so if Federer wins. Nadal winning added prestige as they could now refer to Agassi and Nadal as Olympic champions and gloss over the likes of Rosset and Massu. If big names continue to win it, then its standing in tennis will increase.

Talking of 5 sets though, they should definitely change the final of the YEC back to a 5-setter. I understand them changing the Masters Series finals, but they should not have touched the YEC.

TennisBatman 08-01-2012 05:36 AM

The best of 3 format is used to save time for the tournament and energy for the players. Right now, it is best of 5 for the men's finals only and best of 3 for all other matches. As we saw yesterday, though, the lack of a tiebreaker in the deciding set can make some matches like the Raonic-Tsonga match to last much longer than ordinary 3-set matches.

A good compromise would be to make it best of 5 for the semi-final, final, and bronze matches. The reason for this is that the top few players may be so close in ability (as is the case with Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic), that they deserve the fair competition offered by the best of 5 format, at least for the semi-finals. Djokovic might have had a better chance in his semi-final against Nadal in 2008, if this were the case.

scineram 08-01-2012 09:38 AM

Tennis should be booted from Olympics.

Start da Game 08-01-2012 09:43 AM

i think the format is just about right with the final being best of 5 sets......that makes it lesser than slams and davis cup and better than masters tournaments......