Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Post shoe measurements. Find out how low to the ground shoes are (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=434439)

newyorkstadium 08-01-2012 07:53 AM

Post shoe measurements. Find out how low to the ground shoes are

Wilson NGX- Stack Height: 21mm (Heel); 12mm (Forefoot)

Head Sprint Pro: Stack Height: 22mm (Heel); 13mm (Forefoot)

Wilson Rush Pro- Stack Height: 24mm (Heel); 13mm (Forefoot)

adidas Barricade 7- Stack Height: 25mm (Heel); 15mm (Forefoot)

Joma Pro Roland- Stack Height: 25mm (Heel); 14.5mm (Forefoot)

adidas adizero CC Feather II Stack Height: 26mm (Heel); 15mm (Forefoot)

Nike Vapor Advantage Stack Height: 26mm (Heel); 12mm (Forefoot)

Nike Lunar Ballistec Stack Height: 26mm (Heel); 19mm (Forefoot)

Nike Zoom Vapor 9.5 Tour Stack Height: 27mm (Heel); 15mm (Forefoot)

Nike Vapor 9 Stack Height: 28mm (Heel); 15mm (Forefoot)

Lotto Raptor Ultra IV Stack Height: 30mm (Heel); 17mm (Forefoot)

New Balance 1296- Stack Height: 30mm (Heel); 15mm (Forefoot)

New Balance 996- Stack Height: 32mm (Heel); 16mm (Forefoot)

Apparatus.

Vernier Caliper $19 Instructions

Shoes must have very little usage, as shoes lose cushion over time.

WildVolley 08-01-2012 08:08 AM

This is interesting, but I'm already suspicious of your measurements. What exactly are you measuring?

Usually, when someone measures how low to the ground a shoe is, they're measuring the from the ground to where the foot sits. I don't know of any tennis shoe that has the human heel sitting 3.45mm off of the ground. These measurements are best done with a caliper that measures the thickness of the outsole, the midesole, and insole so that you can tell the "stack" height.

Are you measuring some sort of curve of the outsole when a foot isn't in the shoe flattening it out?

newyorkstadium 08-01-2012 08:19 AM

moved.....

WildVolley 08-01-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkstadium (Post 6768270)
Edited, mean't cm. I'm measuring the height from insole to heel.

To measure, I stuck a ruler inside the shoe and measured from the insole to the top of the fabric. I then used this measurement on the outside, and the remainder was the heel height.

If this doesn't make sense I will put up a picture tutorial.

OK, that makes a lot more sense!:)

Sounds like you came up with a quick-and-dirty way to get a fairly accurate measurement. I think it is useful information. I'll measure some of my shoes the same way and see what we get.

I'd also like to see a similar measurement for the forefoot, but the toe box gets in the way.

newyorkstadium 08-01-2012 09:28 AM

Deleted. Method too inaccurate.

WildVolley 08-01-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkstadium (Post 6768427)
You need to account for the fact that some rulers have a blank bit at the end. Mine is 6mm, so I add 6mm as a result.

Not necessarily. If you're measuring to the same point on the upper and simply taking a difference, the extra length will cancel out.

newyorkstadium 08-01-2012 09:36 AM

Deleted. Method too inaccurate.

WildVolley 08-01-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkstadium (Post 6768460)
Yes, agreed.

I'm just having difficulty eyeballing the difference. I think that I need something square to actually physically touch the upper so that my measurements are slightly more accurate.

My first estimate is for a new

Yonex SHT-304 - 3.4cm

Used Prince Viper VI - 3.2cm

newyorkstadium 08-01-2012 10:21 AM

Apparatus
Bar Clamp. Must be this type, not this.
Duct Tape
Plank of Wood
Vernier/Dial Caliper. Must come with a depth rod like this.

Step 1 - http://s1298.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Ensure the depth rod on the caliper is as far down as it can go. Tape the top of the caliper to the bottom of the plank.

Step 2 - http://s1298.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=1
Clamp the plank of wood to the table, so that the depth rod touches the floor. Place a heavy book on the bar clamp to secure it. Now read the measurements on the caliper.

Step 3 - Place the shoe underneath the rod. Then move the rod down, until it touches the insole of the shoe. Re-measure the caliper.

newyorkstadium 08-02-2012 12:20 PM

I want shoes that enable me to deal better with low slices and reduce injury risk. Plus, I just prefer the feel of low to the ground shoes

WildVolley 08-02-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkstadium (Post 6772153)
I'm already thinking of getting the gel game 3, on the back of this thread. I want shoes that enable me to deal better with low slices (i'm 6'4). Plus, I just prefer the feel of low to the ground shoes

I don't know that they'll help your slice, but my general feeling is that the lower to the ground a shoe is, other things equal, the better because of increased stability. If you think about the extremes, this is definitely true. Are you more stable barefoot or walking on platform shoes or in high heels?

There's also a mistaken belief that more cushioning is superior to less. I've found that in walking, a stiffer shoe with less cushioning actually makes walking easier because your foot compresses material in a soft shoe and dissipates energy. Especially for performance, more cushioning is probably worse than less.

The Gel Game series is low to ground. I measured an old used pair of Gel Game (don't know which #?) and it seems to be 2.8cm of heel stack.

It would be nice if we could see some measurements form the Nike shoes which seem to be so popular.

newyorkstadium 08-02-2012 01:45 PM

I have no more shoes to measure. I may have to order shoes online and then return them.

newyorkstadium 08-23-2012 12:21 PM

bumping this thread.

banter 01-13-2013 08:44 PM

My testing was not reliable, but I tested multiple times to find the most consistent result.

NB 851 - 2.1 cm
Prince T9 - 2.4 cm
ASICS GR 3 - 3.1 cm

TeamHumphrey 01-13-2013 09:06 PM

New Balance mc996 ~ 3.0 cm

newyorkstadium 01-21-2013 09:02 AM

Added some more. Gonna re-measure a few. They were done in a shop, with staff watching, so I rushed the measurement.

WildVolley 01-21-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkstadium (Post 7143993)
Added some more. Gonna re-measure a few. They were done in a shop, with staff watching, so I rushed the measurement.

Nike CB 4.3 - 4.2cm!

So those airbags really do stick that heel way up in the air.

It would be nice if we could get someone to measure a pair of Vapor 9s, which I'd expect to be much lower to the ground.

So far, the NB 851 seems to be the lowest to the ground. I would have purchased a pair of these already if I hadn't been concerned about toe-box width (I need a wide toe box). It would be nice to see a measurement on the NB MC 996.

Irrelevant 01-21-2013 10:17 AM

Barricade Team 2s sit higher than B7s? Really?

newyorkstadium 01-21-2013 11:38 AM

Barricade team 2 is one of the shoes I need to re-measure, as is the CB 4.3. I'll take them off the list. Mc 996 is already on there.

newyorkstadium 01-21-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irrelevant (Post 7144223)
Barricade Team 2s sit higher than B7s? Really?

The heel was pretty large. I wasn't surprised at the result.