Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   best pros forehand, 1hb backhand, serve, volley, to model after (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=434450)

fire_eaters 08-01-2012 08:04 AM

best pros forehand, 1hb backhand, serve, volley, to model after

Question is for the average player say (3.0-4.5) out of each of these categories, which pro has the best ones for players to model themselves after?
Insert here:

Forehand-
1 handed backhand-
serve-
Volleys-

SStrikerR 08-01-2012 08:37 AM

This belong more in the tips/instructions sub forum, but oh well. What you have to realize is that just because the pro someone picks may have the "best" of that shot, doesn't mean it's smart for you to emulate it. For example, a guy I know emulates federer stroke for stroke. When we play singles I destroy him, and I don't copy anybody. His backhand is just bad, and his forehand breaks down because his timing has to be very good and...well, it isn't.

I guess what im saying is, if you aren't a pro, don't hit like one.

fire_eaters 08-01-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SStrikerR (Post 6768467)
This belong more in the tips/instructions sub forum, but oh well. What you have to realize is that just because the pro someone picks may have the "best" of that shot, doesn't mean it's smart for you to emulate it. For example, a guy I know emulates federer stroke for stroke. When we play singles I destroy him, and I don't copy anybody. His backhand is just bad, and his forehand breaks down because his timing has to be very good and...well, it isn't.

I guess what im saying is, if you aren't a pro, don't hit like one.

I understand but that's not what im saying. If you think federers stroke is bad for a person to model after then don't put him. Put the pro who's strokes the average player SHOULD model after. I mean whose forehand should a 3.5-4.0 player try and model? Nole? Is it nikolas almagro?? It doesn't necessarily have to be a top pro either

SStrikerR 08-01-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fire_eaters (Post 6768550)
I understand but that's not what im saying. If you think federers stroke is bad for a person to model after then don't put him. Put the pro who's strokes the average player SHOULD model after. I mean whose forehand should a 3.5-4.0 player try and model? Nole? Is it nikolas almagro?? It doesn't necessarily have to be a top pro either

I know what you're saying. And what I'm saying is that in this section, people are likely to either pick a top pro, or their favorite player (read: top pro) and I'm forewarning you that it's bad advice. Then I explained why. So, you're welcome. Like I said, I suggest this goes in the tips forum so you get good, objective advice.

In my personal opinion, nobody. At that level you can copy all you want, but just having a similar looking stroke isn't going to make it good. You won't be able to perform the more subtle parts of their technique that make their shot so good. You're better off learning the basics of the strokes and forming your own, that are more effective for you.

TennisDawg 08-01-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fire_eaters (Post 6768550)

I get what you mean. If you're just startin out with tennis, it's good to try and model your game after a pro. If you've been playing a while and a 3.5/4.0 even 4.5, it's hard to do a complete overhaul of your game, a few tweaks are good, though.
Not many will emulate the professionals, but it's a good idea to try, especially if you're just starting.
My favorite would be Roger Federer, Wawrinka, Gasquet for the 1hbh, just do a google search and find some utube videos, there's a bunch. Same guys for the slice bh and even Djoker comes to mind. For the serve, again Federer would be great, Sam Stosur for the Kick Serve.
I would say the top 10 Men and Womens player are a good bunch for all the strokes, serve, volley, bh,fh, OH. Depends on what you hit 1hbh or 2hbh.
Study the utube video and pause it and look at the subtle descriptions by the teacher. There's a website called TennisOxygen and the narrator does a common threads analysis of two players i.e. Federer-Gasquet and shows you what they both do the same that makes them great shot makers.
Good luck, if you only grasp/do part of it, you'll still be better than most players.

Oh the other posters is right this should be in the tennis instruction forum, but I see you are still a rookie!

sunof tennis 08-01-2012 10:05 AM

I think there was a similar thread a few weeks ago. I would look for a pro who has relatively simple reproducible strokes without any quirks. For me, I like Tommy Haas' stokse the best to emmulate. If you have a two handed backhand I would use Djokovic's. Fed would be a pretty good one to copy for serve, but his groundstrokes are slightly more complicated and work for him because he is so gifted.