Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How much is known about Federer's training regimen and how he has lasted so long? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=434582)

DeShaun 08-02-2012 12:52 AM

How much is known about Federer's training regimen and how he has lasted so long?

If this guy ever wrote a book about the details of his training priorities and methods, I think advance copies would sell out in record time. When Charlie Rose interviewed Federer following his USO win over Rusty in 2003 or thereabouts, Roger admitted to having intensively focused in his practices on just his footwork for some while, but what are other details which you think he probably focuses on when he practices? He must have been training differently from the field throughout his career because of the high level of play he has maintained and his avoidance of serious injury.

TheNatural 08-02-2012 12:58 AM

5 hour hitting sessions in the heat.

YellowBall77 08-02-2012 01:00 AM

You would think for such a great athlete, he would have a better looking body. Rafa, too. Both of them look untoned and kind of fat. Not lean and mean like Novak. Novak has that Fight Club body...always ready for extended battle.

Zarfot Z 08-02-2012 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowBall77 (Post 6770632)
You would think for such a great athlete, he would have a better looking body. Rafa, too. Both of them look untoned and kind of fat. Not lean and mean like Novak. Novak has that Fight Club body...always ready for extended battle.

Untoned? Maybe.

Fat? No. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

YellowBall77 08-02-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarfot Z (Post 6770637)
Untoned? Maybe.

Fat? No. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

For an elite athlete over 10 percent body fat looks sort of fat. Nadal is at about 12 and Fed maybe 15. Djoker looks to be the same ask me...I'd say 7 percent.

OldFedIsOld 08-02-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowBall77 (Post 6770638)
For an elite athlete over 10 percent body fat looks sort of fat. Nadal is at about 12 and Fed maybe 15. Djoker looks to be the same ask me...I'd say 7 percent.

Genetics plays a huge role in an athlete's body, some people are naturally skinny like Djokovic and some have a little flab in their stomach region like Federer. I doubt Federer is 15% looks more like 12%

SLD76 08-02-2012 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeShaun (Post 6770620)
If this guy ever wrote a book about the details of his training priorities and methods, I think advance copies would sell out in record time. When Charlie Rose interviewed Federer following his USO win over Rusty in 2003 or thereabouts, Roger admitted to having intensively focused in his practices on just his footwork for some while, but what are other details which you think he probably focuses on when he practices? He must have been training differently from the field throughout his career because of the high level of play he has maintained and his avoidance of serious injury.

i have heard tales of him training in dubai in court temperatures of 120 degrees.

Rusty669 08-02-2012 03:09 AM

Seriously yellowball, Rafa and Roger are top athletes. How can you honestly believe that they have more than 10% body fat???That is simply laughable.
They carry a hell of a lot more muscles than the average, there is hardly any fat on them! Where should that fat come from??They play every day, burning calories at ease....Sometimes this board makes me laugh so hard.

rommil 08-02-2012 03:11 AM

Quote:

Lolx10sorethroats:)

YellowBall77 08-02-2012 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty669 (Post 6770817)
Seriously yellowball, Rafa and Roger are top athletes. How can you honestly believe that they have more than 10% body fat???That is simply laughable.
They carry a hell of a lot more muscles than the average, there is hardly any fat on them! Where should that fat come from??They play every day, burning calories at ease....Sometimes this board makes me laugh so hard.

Umm because I have eyes you moron. I can see their bodies..they are clearly both above 10 percent body fat. You are completely clueless, what in the hell are you talking about?

Russeljones 08-02-2012 03:33 AM

I've heard him say he trains to play 7 5-setters in a row.

tank_job 08-02-2012 03:47 AM

Novak is pathetically weak as well. All pro tennis players are laughable athletically.

A running back could crush their skull between their fingers, as well as run a marathon slightly faster, and run the 100m twice as fast.

nadal2012uso2013ao 08-02-2012 03:50 AM

http://craighickmanontennis.blogspot...che-split.html

Quote:

This is from Steve Tignor's The Wrap. He's reporting live from Rome this week. Make of it what you will:

There I came across Federer hitting a few casual balls with countryman Stanislas Wawrinka. ďHitting a few casual ballsĒ is 70 percent of a typical Federer practice, and this was no exception. He and Wawrinka spent long periods leaning on the net and talking while Tony Roche stared at the baseline and bounced a ball with his racquet. The main piece of business seemed to be trying to decide what to do with his backhand. He and Roche shadow-hit the stroke together numerous times, trying to find the right form. For what, I donít know. During rallies, Federer made an effort to hit it with more topspin, but on returns he tried to attack with it, going after numerous inside-out crosscourt returns from the deuce court and following them to net.

What it means Iím not sure, but practice to Federer seems to be a time for getting the demons out more than anything else. He rarely speaks, even to Roche; when he does, itís almost always to berate himself for missing a shot that he didnít seem to be trying on in the first place. After shanking one forehand long, he sent an overhead out of the stadium. On the final point, he stood still on for his backhand return and intentionally drilled it 10 feet long. Then he walked to the net and had a laugh with Wawrinka about something. Roche picked up the balls.

Clarky21 08-02-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Get real. Nadal nor Fed are fat,and both of them are better looking than your beady eyed hero,****. You can't polish a turd,and **** is living proof of that.

Surecatch 08-02-2012 06:41 AM

[quote=OldFedIsOld;6770680]Genetics plays a huge role in an athlete's body, some people are naturally skinny like Djokovic and some have a little flab in their stomach region like Federer. I doubt Federer is 15% looks more like 12%

I'd be happy with any of those physiques. :)

Emet74 08-02-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nadal2012uso2013ao (Post 6770886)

I wouldn't use the description of this practice as particularly typical given that there was alot of tension between Fed and Roche at the time resulting in their split later that week.

Fed's physical trainer is Paganini who's been with him for over a decade and there have been interviews from time to time regarding techniques.

I remember Fed recently saying he enjoys what he calls "interval training"; where he runs really fast for like 30 seconds, then rests for 30 seconds, then runs again. The stop-start mimics tennis, and he can keep going for a long time like that without getting tired.

Emet74 08-02-2012 07:12 AM

Btw, here the source for the "interval training" stuff in a Fed interview called "Training Confidential":

http://m.shortlist.com/entertainment...-roger-federer

Bobby Jr 08-02-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

You would think for such a great athlete, he would have a better looking body.

Clearly you're misled in your thinking about what being a great athlete entails. Looks mean nothing whatsoever... regardless, Federer is strong where he needs to be - anything else for a sport like tennis is just a hindrance (you have to cart the extra weight around).

Likewise, in a sport like tennis where you play day after day being overly lean would probably be somewhat of a liability as keeping energy stores at an optimum level would be much harder and it could negatively affect a player's performance.

Here's another pic of Fed a few years ago. He's looking like a pretty good athlete here - well developed delts and back...

cknobman 08-02-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tank_job (Post 6770882)
Novak is pathetically weak as well. All pro tennis players are laughable athletically.

A running back could crush their skull between their fingers, as well as run a marathon slightly faster, and run the 100m twice as fast.

Run the 100m twice as fast?? LOL your a fool if you believe that. Sure they will run it faster but TWICE as fast?? NO.

I would place a serious wager on the marathon as well. I would be willing to wager that a pro tennis players (especially the top players) endurance if far greater than any pro running back.

ollinger 08-02-2012 07:36 AM

Federer once said in an interview that he typically devotes about two hours of a training day to massage and stretching, and he credits his relative lack of injury to this.