Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   When Your Doubles Partner Makes a Bad Line Call (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=434584)

tennistim 08-02-2012 01:47 AM

When Your Doubles Partner Makes a Bad Line Call

Happened to me last night. My partner called a ball out that was in. It was a big point in a tie-breaker and I wish I had said something straight away. In fact nobody said anything, but I think we all knew that it was in. It threw my concentration and we lost the tie-break.

Then in the next set the opposition got revenge by calling out some of my serves that were in.

Really ruins the spirit of the game when this happens.

I am just trying to figure out how to avoid this happening again. I think I need to overrule my partners bad calls straight away - no discussion. Otherwise it creates a much bigger problem....

J_R_B 08-02-2012 02:10 AM

You need to pull him aside, tell him the call was definitely wrong, and give hiim the opportunity to reverse it himself first. If he still refuses, then change it yourself. Don't cheat.

Maui19 08-02-2012 02:42 AM

I've got a partner that makes bad calls from time to time. I let them go for a while, now I overrule. He used to argue with me about them, now he just goes with my overrule. You can't let that stuff go.

TennisDawg 08-02-2012 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennistim (Post 6770710)
Happened to me last night. My partner called a ball out that was in. It was a big point in a tie-breaker and I wish I had said something straight away. In fact nobody said anything, but I think we all knew that it was in. It threw my concentration and we lost the tie-break.

Then in the next set the opposition got revenge by calling out some of my serves that were in.

Really ruins the spirit of the game when this happens.

I am just trying to figure out how to avoid this happening again. I think I need to overrule my partners bad calls straight away - no discussion. Otherwise it creates a much bigger problem....

Usually when this happens your opponents will give you a look or say something to indicate it was a bad call. At that point just look at your partner and tell him "thought it was in" if he still insists it was out, just say "okay" and go with her/his call. A reasonable person will usually agree with you and change the call. Replaying the point is usually not a good idea as it just adds insult to injury, depending on who wins the point. At least you've spoken up, without disrupting you're partner

spot 08-02-2012 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisDawg (Post 6770920)
Usually when this happens your opponents will give you a look or say something to indicate it was a bad call. At that point just look at your partner and tell him "thought it was in"

Once you say that- the point automatically goes to the other team. To still take the point after that is cheating.

TennisDawg 08-02-2012 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spot (Post 6770925)
Once you say that- the point automatically goes to the other team. To still take the point after that is cheating.

That's why you say "I thought it was in" it's quite possible that you're partner is right and you're wrong. So, if he still insists he's right maybe he had a better look at the ball. I'm also assuming that no one is trying to cheat, it's just two different looks at a ball. If the call is changed immediately and your partner doesn't agree, you've then accused (at least tacitly) him/her of cheating, not good for you and your partner. If you're partner willingly changes it to an "in" call then all should be fine.

Cindysphinx 08-02-2012 04:55 AM

You must give the point to your opponent. Always. Period.

tenniscasey 08-02-2012 04:58 AM

If it was clearly in and you had a good sight line, you should have overruled immediately. If your partner gets mad at you for it, you should play out the match then find another doubles partner.

Last thing you want for yourself is to develop a reputation for hooking, even if it's only by association.

TennisDawg 08-02-2012 05:09 AM

Okay, I stand corrected. The opposing team gets the point, okay!

Mauvaise 08-02-2012 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenniscasey (Post 6770984)
If it was clearly in and you had a good sight line, you should have overruled immediately. If your partner gets mad at you for it, you should play out the match then find another doubles partner.

Last thing you want for yourself is to develop a reputation for hooking, even if it's only by association.

Exactly. I've overruled my partners and had them overrule me and no one (thankfully) has ever got in a tizzy over it.

It probably helps that I make a point before the match starts (if I'm with a new partner) of specifically telling them I want them to overrule any bad calls I happen to make and I'll do the same.

jonnythan 08-02-2012 05:18 AM

Just say "no, I think it was in." Other team gets the point.

TeflonTom 08-02-2012 05:22 AM

if ur partner hooks, find a new partner

but u dont ever, ever overrule ur partner. u dont break solidarity mid match

jonnythan 08-02-2012 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeflonTom (Post 6771034)

I disagree. I'd want someone to overrule me and I'd expect my partner to want to be overruled.

tenniscasey 08-02-2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeflonTom (Post 6771034)

Ridiculous. Your reputation carries forward beyond the match; when your partner hooks, "solidarity" becomes irrelevant.

TeflonTom 08-02-2012 05:36 AM

if ur partner is honestly mistaken then tell him n let him correct his own call

if he is deliberately hookin u dont break rank. u tell him in private it aint on, and if he doesnt stop hooking then u simply dont play with him any more

itt: tennis players dont understand team sport

jonnythan 08-02-2012 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeflonTom (Post 6771069)
if ur partner is honestly mistaken then tell him n let him correct his own call

if he is deliberately hookin u dont break rank. u tell him in private it aint on, and if he doesnt stop hooking then u simply dont play with him any more

itt: tennis players dont understand team sport

ITT: TeflonTom cares more about winning than the integrity of the game and expects everyone to play the same way he does.

No one on my team plays that way, and I don't play that way.

TeflonTom 08-02-2012 05:51 AM

wrong. i dont give a crap about winnin compared to integrity of the game. i dont hook and i dont play with ppl who hook

good teams solve their disagreements in the locker room. period. u are showing urself up as a poor team player if u disagree with a teammate durin a match in front of ur opponents

when lookin 4 potential partners i will not hold it against someone if they have had the misfortune 2 be paired with a hooker in the past. i will hold it against someone if they dont understand what bein a team player means

tenniscasey 08-02-2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeflonTom (Post 6771105)
wrong. i dont give a crap about winnin compared to integrity of the game. i dont hook and i dont play with ppl who hook

good teams solve their disagreements in the locker room. period. u are showing urself up as a poor team player if u disagree with a teammate durin a match in front of ur opponents

when lookin 4 potential partners i will not hold it against someone if they have had the misfortune 2 be paired with a hooker in the past. i will hold it against someone if they dont understand what bein a team player means

It's clear you value your relationship with your partner more than the integrity of the game. Interesting choice; I hope I never play against or with you.

tennis tom 08-02-2012 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisDawg (Post 6770951)
...it's just two different looks at a ball.

Yes, by the player who has double-vision. I made a "bad" call in favor of my opponents yesterday. The serve was one inch out, it was so close and it was meaningless (to me) practice-rec tennis. I apologized to my partner and said I couldn't get the words out fast enough, but in reality I just didn't want to make a call that close--I SHOULD HAVE!--but I chickened out. The ***-hat server--and trust me, he IS an ***-hat, I know from decades of playing with him, (thankfully not too regularly), had the chutzpah to say it looked way in to him--right--to him standing "78" feet away. The ball left a mark that I circled. The code says everyone is supposed to help with the calls, even the opponents. You know your NOT playing with friends or fair people when they don't help with a call that you KNOW they had a good look at down the line.

TeflonTom 08-02-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenniscasey (Post 6771117)
It's clear you value your relationship with your partner more than the integrity of the game. Interesting choice; I hope I never play against or with you.

no. i value my reputation as a team player. i couldnt give a ***** about a partner who hooks, but i dont want my future partners 2 think i am the kind o person who may suddenly decide not 2 have his back in the middle of a match if it doesnt suit me

integrity o the game has nothin 2 do with it. i aint the one hooking. my partner is a big boy and he can take responsibility 4 his own antics