Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Lying To My Partner (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=434640)

michael_1265 08-02-2012 01:30 PM

Lying To My Partner

When I am playing doubles, and my partner questions an opponent's call (to me), unless it is blatant hooking, I always confirm the opponent's call. Why? I have seen too many players let calls get under their skin. I prefer to play the part of hawkeye, and although I may sometimes be slightly off, it allows my partner to forget about it and move on, and opposed to getting angry and stewing on the call.

Does anyone else do this?

I usually 'fess up to my partner AFTER the match is complete.

Govnor 08-02-2012 01:35 PM

that's quite a good way to do things!!

spot 08-02-2012 01:40 PM

Yeah- I do the same thing. For things that I think may have touched the line and the opponents called it out I always tell my partner. "Just barely out". It just makes things go sooo much smoother.

Cindysphinx 08-02-2012 01:40 PM

Absolutely. I confirm my opponents' calls, for exactly the reason you say. I never, ever 'fess up to this after the match, though.

In addition to making sure my partner doesn't run aground worrying about bad calls, I think it is good for interpersonal relations. If I act as though I trust their calls, they are more likely to trust my call.

michael_1265 08-02-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 6772358)
Absolutely. I confirm my opponents' calls, for exactly the reason you say. I never, ever 'fess up to this after the match, though.

In addition to making sure my partner doesn't run aground worrying about bad calls, I think it is good for interpersonal relations. If I act as though I trust their calls, they are more likely to trust my call.

Bingo. FYI, I only mention it after the match if there was trend.

dizzlmcwizzl 08-02-2012 02:19 PM

I lie to myself ... I go so far as to verbalize "good call" on these out balls, even when I am playing singles. There is nothing I can do about it once they have their mind made up and it helps me to let it go.

atatu 08-02-2012 02:27 PM

Yes, definitely, I do the same thing, especially when I'm playing with someone who gets unhinged over a bad call.

jonnyjack 08-02-2012 03:02 PM

I confirmed some out calls by my opponent once and my partner got even more ****ed! I think something was going on with him that day. He ended up quitting the match and leaving me hanging. It was a close match and our team ended up losing 1-2 overall. Even though he was a good player, I told my captain never to pair me with him again.

Cindysphinx 08-02-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyjack (Post 6772575)
I confirmed some out calls by my opponent once and my partner got even more ****ed! I think something was going on with him that day. He ended up quitting the match and leaving me hanging. It was a close match and our team ended up losing 1-2 overall. Even though he was a good player, I told my captain never to pair me with him again.

Some people have a very "us versus them" attitude. I don't think much good comes of that.

sureshs 08-02-2012 04:35 PM

I really don't care what my partner thinks.

NLBwell 08-02-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 6772358)

You just did now, though.

Nostradamus 08-02-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael_1265 (Post 6772318)
When I am playing doubles, and my partner questions an opponent's call (to me), unless it is blatant hooking, I always confirm the opponent's call. Why? I have seen too many players let calls get under their skin. I prefer to play the part of hawkeye, and although I may sometimes be slightly off, it allows my partner to forget about it and move on, and opposed to getting angry and stewing on the call.

i disagree. i usually tell the truth. your partner will trust you more if you do. then after the match, we go and DQ the guy that cheated and make sure he never plays tennis again

Harl Goodman 08-03-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael_1265 (Post 6772318)

Absolutely. It's easy to lose focus, so it's better to move on. Otherwise, you start to wonder about more calls ... are they blind or cheaters ... all sorts of stuff that interferes with doing what you need to do.

I wouldn't "fess up" about it, ever. That's like a magician reveling the tricks.
That same partner will be less likely to trust your answer in the future, defeating the purpose.

Maybe you can just find satisfaction knowing you helped head off issues with some preventative medicine :)

TennisCJC 08-03-2012 11:51 AM

When my partner questions our opponent's calls, I throw my racket and yell "you cannot be serious" at our opponents. It makes my partner feel supported and I like the drama.