Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Laura Robson same achievement as Federer (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=434853)

tennisaddict 08-04-2012 07:09 AM

Laura Robson same achievement as Federer

Fast forward till tomorrow .. Lets assume for a moment Federer gets the W in singles finals and let's also assume that Murray carries Robson to Gold in the mixed doubles.

As far as olympics is concerned, are the achievements of Federer and Robson same ?

Why or why not ? Will Federer's achievement deserve more recognition than Robson ?

roberttennis54 08-04-2012 07:16 AM

Maybe it goes against the spirit of the Olympics, but I think this saying is very apt "all gold medals are equal, but some gold medals are more equal than others." This is why I believe Sebastian Coe and Daley Thompson are our two greatest Olympians ever. Sebastian Coe just edging it as the best.

SStrikerR 08-04-2012 07:17 AM

No. They aren't the same, and you know it.

TigerTim 08-04-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roberttennis54 (Post 6779456)
Maybe it goes against the spirit of the Olympics, but I think this saying is very apt "all gold medals are equal, but some gold medals are more equal than others." This is why I believe Sebastian Coe and Daley Thompson are our two greatest Olympians ever. Sebastian Coe just edging it as the best.

y no c Steve Redgrave :shock:

tennis_pro 08-04-2012 07:19 AM

Gold in Mixed Doubles > 17 majors in singles

tennisaddict 08-04-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_pro (Post 6779465)

The reference is just 2012 olympics.

TigerTim 08-04-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_pro (Post 6779465)

yep, 4 wins being carried by your very good team-mate owns 17x7 wins (whatever number that is!)

btw; Robson is playing very well atm in the SF vs. Germany

joeri888 08-04-2012 07:22 AM

They are both very big and a gold in mixed is better than silver in singles, but the status of a men's singles gold is bigger

Sid_Vicious 08-04-2012 07:25 AM

A silver in singles competition, to me at least, seems much better than getting a gold in the joke event that is mixed doubles. Regular doubles, I guess the gold would be the choice.

Mills Raonic was asked whether he would prefer a silver medal in singles or a gold in mixed doubles, he said silver medal in singles. I agree with his choice.

SLD76 08-04-2012 07:26 AM

fail thread

fail brain

fail life

roberttennis54 08-04-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerTim (Post 6779463)
y no c Steve Redgrave :shock:

You cannot compare the world wide appeal of rowing to that of something as simple as running. Rowing will never have the competition that Seb Coe had. You can also row at a high level for much longer. Only recently we saw a guy win a bronze 20 years after winning gold. Seb Coe on the other hand was the kind of athlete you see once every few decades. His times were unbelievable. Even now he has the 3rd fastest ever 800 metre time. We are much more likely to see another Redgrave before we see a Coe. Steve Redgrave is probably top 5, but I just don't think Redgrave was as talented as those two or performed at such a high level.

Devilito 08-04-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisaddict (Post 6779433)
Fast forward till tomorrow .. Lets assume for a moment Federer gets the W in singles finals and let's also assume that Murray carries Robson to Gold in the mixed doubles.

As far as olympics is concerned, are the achievements of Federer and Robson same ?

Why or why not ? Will Federer's achievement deserve more recognition than Robson ?

go on Pawn Stars, try to sell them 100m sprint and 10m air rifle gold medals. See which one brings in more money. This is representative of public opinion which trumps everything else. Different sports and events have way more prestige than others by a huge margin. Nobody in the history of Earth has ever cared about mixed doubles except for the players playing it (and maybe friends and family)

TigerTim 08-04-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roberttennis54 (Post 6779499)
You cannot compare the world wide appeal of rowing to that of something as simple as running. Rowing will never have the competition that Seb Coe had. You can also row at a high level for much longer. Seb Coe on the other hand was the kind of athlete you see once every few decades. His times were unbelievable. Even now he has the 3rd fastest ever 800 metre time. We are much more likely to see another Redgrave before we see a Coe.

yeah, but 5 in a row :shock:

1984 GOLD, 1988 GOLD, 1992 GOLD, 1996 GOLD, 2000 GOLD

and wot about Wiggins and Hoy?

tennisaddict 08-04-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid_Vicious (Post 6779488)
A silver in singles competition, to me at least, seems much better than getting a gold in the joke event that is mixed doubles. Regular doubles, I guess the gold would be the choice.

Mills Raonic was asked whether he would prefer a silver medal in singles or a gold in mixed doubles, he said silver medal in singles

It is almost conflicting with the spirit of olympics when athletes choose only to pursue singles than doing doubles / mixed doubles as well. It is not that if they chose to do just singles they will get a medal for certain. Of course Serena is an exception. If she submitted her entry for mixed, she would have got all 3 golds.

You have to pull for Murray here... In the true spirit, he participated in all 3 events.

In many ways, the top athletes are selfish that they want to focus on 'singles' gold, when there is really a huge chance for them to earn more medals in doubles / mixed.

TigerTim 08-04-2012 07:36 AM

wow, Robson and Murray's level is insane

Rhino 08-04-2012 07:56 AM

There are different levels of Gold medals. For example, Gold in the men's 100m sprint is better than a Gold in hammer throwing.

In a way it's a shame that some people can even say that they are an 'Olympian' at all. Some obscure member of a woman's handball team can say that she is an 'Olympian' alongside Phelps, Bolt, or Federer. It doesn't seem right, but that's the Olympics.

TigerTim 08-04-2012 08:03 AM

Murray to Robson: "you are a huge part of the team but if you could just step right and clean my racket bag like a good girl....."

Ash_Smith 08-04-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhino (Post 6779561)
There are different levels of Gold medals. For example, Gold in the men's 100m sprint is better than a Gold in hammer throwing.

No it isn't, but it is more high profile.

Rhino 08-04-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash_Smith (Post 6779580)
No it isn't, but it is more high profile.

Well one means 'fastest man alive' watched by millions and the other means 'guy who throws hammers'.

TigerTim 08-04-2012 08:25 AM

a gold is a gold, no matter what competition