Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (
-   Racquets (
-   -   Polyurethane outer layer on overgrip (

MilkBender 08-04-2012 10:31 AM

Polyurethane outer layer on overgrip
so I bought dunlop gecko-tac overgrip yesterday and it has a PU outer layer. what is the purpose of this outer layer? I felt the small sample square took the PU layer off, I liked it better that way. the PU layer just seems like plastic and make the grip kind of slippery

here's a pic of description and grip

db10s 08-04-2012 11:15 AM

Like a plastic wrapper that is clear? If so, I've always taken it off and I'm pretty sure that you should.

BHiC 08-04-2012 11:31 AM

I am pretty sure that what you are talking about is just designed to protect the grip, and keep it brand new until you put it on your racquet. It is designed solely to protect the grip, and it is expected that you take it off before putting the grip on your racquet.

corners 08-04-2012 10:57 PM

PU is very tacky and is also very hydrophilic, meaning that it sucks water into itself. This is a fairly unique combination of attributes and is the reason why polyurethane is the primary component of all synthetic overgrips and replacement grips. Underneath the pu layer is cotton or some other absorbant layer that acts like water storage. So the pu wicks your sweat into the cotton layer where it is stored. If you sweat too much snd the cotton becomes saturated, then the pu layer will become slimey and slippery. Geckotac seems to get slimey faster than others. I don't know why.

robbo1970 08-06-2012 01:41 AM

That little square on the outer packaging is a cutting from an overgrip, so it still has the plastic film on it. You would need to peel it off to feel the actual overgrip.

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse