Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The Olympics Don't Matter (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=434997)

TTMR 08-05-2012 07:42 AM

The Olympics Don't Matter

Look, I'm not trying to detract from Murray's win here, but let's be honest, this event has never been played by all the top players nor taken as seriously by them. The fact that Nadal isn't here speaks volumes. There is no tradition to Olympic tennis; it's an exhibition, albeit a less raucous one. The Olympics are only worth 750 points. Less than a damn Masters, yet people are making such a big deal over it, as if this match is a game-changer for Murray. Federer had a brutal semi-final, and at his age, needs to conserve himself for things that matter, like Cincy, the USO and Basel. I think that's why he played one-strike tennis...

Which brings me to my next point: This tournament should not have been played at Wimbledon. It was grass for one day, and became clay the next. Nadal would have waltzed to this title. I've been a landscaper for years, and I know you simply can't replant and successfully grow lush, pristine grass in a matter of weeks. It was a joke, and on that second day I knew an aggressive player wouldn't do jack here. The Olympics should have been played at O2, where the courts are perfect all year round.

When it all comes down to it, in a really big moment, we've seen time and time again Murray collapses under the pressure. Winning a mickey mouse title like this isn't going to change anything. Even Monte Carlo has more prestige. Murray will fold like a cheap tent come USO time, and a real champion will own the glory.

zagor 08-05-2012 07:46 AM

You do realize most people will not realize this is sarcasm?

Still, it would be interesting to see if you have the same attitude toward Nadal fans calling a 1500 points worth year end event a cheesy meaningless exo.

ViscaB 08-05-2012 07:47 AM

Why bother to make a thread about it if it all doesn't matter.

smoledman 08-05-2012 07:49 AM

I agree, the surface turned out to be a joke.

Seany 08-05-2012 07:49 AM

People don't seem to realize the O2 is not a tennis arena...They just slap a surface down for 10 days November, then it's back to music concerts etc...

I do agree that the Olympics should have been held there if possible though.

Ico 08-05-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViscaB (Post 6783463)
Why bother to make a thread about it if it all doesn't matter.

To counterbalance your kind's incessant trolling after the match.

TTMR 08-05-2012 08:02 AM

Let's also remember that the organizers deliberately opened the roof in order to benefit Murray, despite the high likelihood of recurrent precipitation. They gambled and got lucky this time, but on a day like this the roof should have remained closed.

tank_job 08-05-2012 08:06 AM

I agree with this thread.

An Olympic Gold is worth equal or less than an ATP tour 250 event in prestige.

And the pathetic field Murray got through is disguising the fact that Murray is already declining and will never make it past a slam QF again - book it.

zagor 08-05-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ico (Post 6783487)
To counterbalance your kind's incessant trolling after the match.

Actually, the OP isn't counterbalancing anything, he's a massive Nadal fan ridiculing Fed fans for downplaying the importance of a SOG (despite the fact that a number of Fed fans congratulated Murray on his big victory).

veritech 08-05-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tank_job (Post 6783615)
I agree with this thread.

An Olympic Gold is worth equal or less than an ATP tour 250 event in prestige.

And the pathetic field Murray got through is disguising the fact that Murray is already declining and will never make it past a slam QF again - book it.

LOL. i'll gladly take that bet with you.

TheF1Bob 08-05-2012 08:11 AM

I'd rather win Estoril than win this crap. :p

tank_job 08-05-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheF1Bob (Post 6783659)
I'd rather win Estoril than win this crap. :p

I'd rather ***** glass than win this cr@p.

jaggy 08-05-2012 08:13 AM

Yea Federer and Del potro didnt care at all that they didnt get gold.

TMF 08-05-2012 08:14 AM

It's just another tournament. Frankly it feel much like a MS. However it's special for Murray because he's playing at home.

zagor 08-05-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 6783680)
It's just another tournament. Frankly it feel much like a MS. However it's special for Murray because he's playing at home.

Nah, it didn't feel like that at all, Fed-Delpo SF had so much drama it was incredible.

tank_job 08-05-2012 08:16 AM

to top it all off, his win will have a massive asterisk over it because he didn't face Nadal, who, as well all know, owns Murray on grass, even with no knees.

TheF1Bob 08-05-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 6783680)

Exactly. The only thing I like was the Olympic tie break rule but apart from that, it was lame.

TennisBatman 08-05-2012 08:37 AM

A major embarrasment for Federer...

Not the end result, but the score.

TTMR 08-05-2012 04:03 PM

Federer may say winning the Olympic gold was important to him because he had never won it and because he was representing Switzerland, but he's just being politically correct. Great champions have never excelled at the Olympics. It's a short week with a meager draw, mostly played best-of-three. It's been won primarily by has-beens and never-wases. Federer is more than satisfied with the silver in terms of representing the white cross. Why go all out trying to outgrind the pusher of all pushers when there is another Cincy just around the corner? A tournament played on a genuine fast surface (most years), I might add.

I think the fact that it comes around only once every four years is skewing perception and making this 24 year "tradition" seemingly more prestigious than it is. It's a 500 and change, and about as meaningful as the NFL Pro Bowl.

marc45 08-05-2012 04:22 PM

the only saving grace for federer-loving nadal haters is that paris lost out to london