Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Poly cross (gut mains) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=435378)

SlapShot 08-08-2012 07:24 AM

Poly cross (gut mains)

Stringaholics - talk to me about some good poly string to try out as a cross for gut mains in my Prestige MP. I'll be using Pacific Classic Gut 17, somewhere in the ballpark of 58#.

I'm currently using BHB7 at 54#, and love it, but want to give gut/poly a shot just for giggles. I'm primarily a doubles player, big serve, big groundies, and I'm always looking for an opportunity to scorch a passing shot.

I've tried lots of polys for a cross previously, but want to expand my horizons.

My priorities (in order of importance) are:
1. Soft, but not dead feel. I'll be stringing at 54# or so, so I don't want mushy, but I want a little bit of touch.
2. Playability time - I don't want dead crosses after 3-4 hours.
3. Thin gauge. In an 18x20, I prefer 17 or 17L in the cross to keep the string bed a bit more lively and spin friendly.

Previously, I've used the classic Luxilon cross (both BBO and Alu), B5E, Cyberflash, etc. I guess I would prefer a smooth poly for a cross for the time being, and something that's not going to break the bank.

What say you, gut-poly fans?

TimothyO 08-08-2012 08:00 AM

In my Dunlop 200, which is similar to your Prestige MP, I've tried MSV CoFocus, MSV Focus Hex, and Gamma Black Ice crosses with VS mains.

Comfort is also a priority for me and all have performed perfectly on that front.

Control and, to the degree it enhances control, spin are also important and all three have worked great as crosses with gut mains with BI providing the most control and CoF the least.

So far my favorite has been Black Ice 17. It offers the best combination of control, spin, and low power with VS gut mains. FH 1.18 provides more spin but also more power. I've learned that at some point even a spinny string bed can generate power in excess of the spin's ability to drive the ball back down on some shots. With Black Ice 17 the margin for error is much larger.

That being said, I preferred FH 1.18 on serve. The extra spin and power under such controlled conditions are really useful.

So of the three FH and Black Ice are the primary contenders. If Black Ice ages well and remains comfortable with time it will be my go-to cross with VS mains. If it becomes boardy and threatens my arm I'll go back to Focus Hex and will likely move from 1.18 to 1.23.

On that note, CoF has proven more durable than FH in my experience. It becomes more lively over time rather than dead and boardy. FH lasts many hours but can cut the mains if you hit hard with top spin and can feel dead with extended use (15+ hours).

In terms of muchiness, CoF was the least crisp and BI the most. I too string in the low 50s. Currently both my frames are strung at 56/54 (one is VS/FH, the other VS/BI) but if BI 17 proves durable I'll have the VS/FH frame restrung with VS/BI at 55/52.

SlapShot 08-08-2012 10:04 AM

Hmm....hadn't looked at the Gamma. I had read lots about CoFocus, and I've got a couple of sets of FH at home, so I could certainly give that a shot as well.

I felt like Pacific Poly Force was a great bed in a full bed, so I might give that a shot in the crosses as well.

drakulie 08-08-2012 10:13 AM

Blacl magic 17 is what is use in the crosses on gut/poly. magnifies the feel of the gut, rather than taking away from it.

Good luck.

SlapShot 08-08-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 6791575)
Blacl magic 17 is what is use in the crosses on gut/poly. magnifies the feel of the gut, rather than taking away from it.

Good luck.

How's the tension maintenence from Black Magic? That's another one that popped up on my radar when searching.

SlapShot 08-10-2012 07:21 AM

Alright, placed my order this morning for some Classic Gut 17, as well as a couple sets each of:

Kirschbaum PL Evolution 17
Pacific Poly Force Original 17
WC Silverstring 17
Alu (I had to since it's on sale - I love it for about 2 hours)

I saw that TW isn't stocking CoFocus 1.23 or 1.18, so I'll have to look elsewhere for that as well as the Black Magic. I did read in a review that some people compared the PL Evolution to CoFocus, so I think that'll be a good starting spot. I've used ProLine 2 quite a bit in the past, so I'm expecting I'll like the Evolution as well.

Chotobaka 08-10-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Good luck.

Co-sign. For me, Black Magic has the best feel of any co-poly I've played, including TF's multi-constructed poly, and works wonderfully in an NG hybrid. Also very sweet in a full bed, it just gets everything right IMO -- no warts.

YesTennis 08-10-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Good luck.

Thanks Drakulie!! Just wondering how many playing hours one might expect with this combo gut/poly VS/Black Magic in an open string bed racquet? Thanks in advance

JT_2eighty 08-10-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlapShot (Post 6791214)
I've tried lots of polys for a cross previously, but want to expand my horizons.

My priorities (in order of importance) are:
1. Soft, but not dead feel. I'll be stringing at 54# or so, so I don't want mushy, but I want a little bit of touch.
2. Playability time - I don't want dead crosses after 3-4 hours.
3. Thin gauge. In an 18x20, I prefer 17 or 17L in the cross to keep the string bed a bit more lively and spin friendly.

Previously, I've used the classic Luxilon cross (both BBO and Alu), B5E, Cyberflash, etc. I guess I would prefer a smooth poly for a cross for the time being, and something that's not going to break the bank.

What say you, gut-poly fans?

WC Mosquito Bite is my favorite cross to gut mains:

1. Very soft and not dead in feel. Actually a very great "touch" poly, #1 in that regard for me.
2. Doesn't go dead "like" other polys, stays lively and comfy for over 12 hours in my trials; when it does die, you barely notice.
3. 1.16 mm 17L string. It is my go-to doubles setup. I experiment with others but always have a go-to ToughGut/MosquitoBite setup strung and ready.

Out of trials through various MSV crosses, Tourna BHB, lux's, polystars, etc... this one still holds as my fav. It compliments gut nicely, providing the best feel out of all of them. When/if it goes dead, it is the least noticeable one, while Tourna and Lux turn into a brick you can feel them harshen up after 3-6 hours, even with gut mains; and MSV polys are a good second, co-focus stays nice and lively for a while too.

ewberner 08-10-2012 10:04 AM

Try Dunlop Explosive. Very similar to ALU Power but is playable for longer. Not too expensive either.

Power Player 10-18-2012 02:56 PM

Bump..im going to string up some gut and cross with BM 17. Could be epic, as BM has an amazing feel to it.

CrispyFritters 10-18-2012 09:35 PM

I've been very happy with WC Scorpion 17 gauge crossed with gut mains. Good spin, good power, and my arm feels great.

toedragger 10-19-2012 10:09 AM

X2 on the WC Scorpion 17g. I'm trying it lately and really like it, at 55 lbs with Bab gut in the mains at 58 on a Volkl v-engine mid 10.

Soft, playable, great feel, control. Etc etc.

D-money 01-29-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 6963079)
Bump..im going to string up some gut and cross with BM 17. Could be epic, as BM has an amazing feel to it.

Hopefully reviving an old thread here. Power player how did you like the BM and gut? what type of gut and what did you think?

parasailing 01-30-2013 07:36 PM

I strung it in as a cross with VS mains and just thought it was average.

D-money 02-04-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parasailing (Post 7181246)
I strung it in as a cross with VS mains and just thought it was average.

What are some other gut/poly hybrids you've tried and what did you like more?

parasailing 02-04-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-money (Post 7190592)
What are some other gut/poly hybrids you've tried and what did you like more?

Check out my VS mains/poly crosses thread for details on all the poly I have tried. I am going to demo Yonex Poly Tour Pro and Tour Bite Soft if that ever comes out.