Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Hit The Center! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=435422)

HEADfamilydynasty 08-08-2012 03:03 PM

Hit The Center!

I've seen this mentioned from time to time but never saw a thread on it. This was the lesson i re-learned the hard way:oops:. All this hype about RHS and spin, you tend to forget that you don't catch the sweetspot i don't mean s@#t:evil:. All i did was concentrate and hit the SP and i had no more use for excessive RHS. Even on my serve this helped with consistency,power, and spin i'd been missing on my serve since getting caught up in RHS. Such a simple thing makes such a huge difference.:D

OldFedIsOld 08-08-2012 03:47 PM

You hit directly on the sweet spot for only some shots, for regular ground strokes you want to aim it so the leading edge contacts first to maximize the brushing effect and racquet head speed use.

HEADfamilydynasty 08-08-2012 04:00 PM

I hit with flattish swing style so i tend to hit flatter trajectory shots. All the excessive RHS throws off my timing and i end with with a significantly less powerful shot. when i do hit with more TS it's true that you don't hit flush on the SP but i only need so much TS for my level if play.

OldFedIsOld 08-08-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEADfamilydynasty (Post 6792173)
I hit with flattish swing style so i tend to hit flatter trajectory shots. All the excessive RHS throws off my timing and i end with with a significantly less powerful shot. when i do hit with more TS it's true that you don't hit flush on the SP but i only need so much TS for my level if play.

If your generally going to hit more flat shots, I suggest working on on the rise shots and trying to hug the baseline. It's a lot more effective with flatter shots, though there are sometimes when you want to brush a lot as well.

HEADfamilydynasty 08-08-2012 04:15 PM

Lately that's exactly how i've playing though in order to fully exploit it i need to get in much better shape. when im on my game is monstrous and i hit winners as easily as breathing but this only lasts for the first set. If my fitness and footwork was better my W/L record would be much more positive.

5263 08-08-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEADfamilydynasty (Post 6792173)

Maybe to hit "cleaner" is a better way to say it. There are different approaches
to sweet spots and more than one on the face.

HEADfamilydynasty 08-08-2012 05:17 PM

Its funny because when i first started out my first coach made me focus on the ball while hitting. I was a very clean hitter as a beginner but i fell out of that habit as i got better. When i watch the ball i hit clean when i don't the results are mixed. maybe i get lucky and nail the shot or( more likely ) i misjudge the contact point and hit off center.

sureshs 08-08-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEADfamilydynasty (Post 6792100)
I've seen this mentioned from time to time but never saw a thread on it. This was the lesson i re-learned the hard way:oops:. All this hype about RHS and spin, you tend to forget that you don't catch the sweetspot i don't mean s@#t:evil:. All i did was concentrate and hit the SP and i had no more use for excessive RHS. Even on my serve this helped with consistency,power, and spin i'd been missing on my serve since getting caught up in RHS. Such a simple thing makes such a huge difference.:D

You will be surprised how many times club players can't hit on the sweetspot.

OldFedIsOld 08-08-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEADfamilydynasty (Post 6792302)
Its funny because when i first started out my first coach made me focus on the ball while hitting. I was a very clean hitter as a beginner but i fell out of that habit as i got better. When i watch the ball i hit clean when i don't the results are mixed. maybe i get lucky and nail the shot or( more likely ) i misjudge the contact point and hit off center.

I only look at the ball maybe 40% of the time. I focus more on keeping my eyes on my opponent and track the ball with my peripherals. I only concentrate mainly on the ball when my opponent serves, makes contact during a groundstroke, or when the ball is coming to me with some depth. I rarely mishit a ball.

It all becomes second nature when you've been playing a lot.

HEADfamilydynasty 08-08-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldFedIsOld (Post 6792328)
I only look at the ball maybe 40% of the time. I focus more on keeping my eyes on my opponent and track the ball with my peripherals. I only concentrate mainly on the ball when my opponent serves, makes contact during a groundstroke, or when the ball is coming to me with some depth. I rarely mishit a ball.

It all becomes second nature when you've been playing a lot.

Makes sense. I've played a total of four years but its was mostly free tennis lessons every summer, high school play in the fall and spring, with recreational play on the side. I've only been able to play 4 tournaments and those weren't league play.

LeeD 08-08-2012 06:06 PM

Sorry, but post 9 is a low level player. Nobody focus's or looks at the opponent after he hits the ball.
We know where he's going.
If you don't, you are a low level player.
Good players don't run helter skelter after hitting a ball.....

OldFedIsOld 08-08-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6792390)
Sorry, but post 9 is a low level player. Nobody focus's or looks at the opponent after he hits the ball.
We know where he's going.
If you don't, you are a low level player.
Good players don't run helter skelter after hitting a ball.....

"Nobody focus's or looks at the opponent after he hits the ball."
-After you hit the ball you know where that is going to go, you need to know if your opponent is going to either run around it or whatever, that's why I mainly look at my opponent and focus less on the ball.

"Good players don't run helter skelter after hitting a ball"
I never run "helter skelter" after hitting a ball, I'm always in a perfect ready position ready for the next ball.

I don't really have to focus too much on the ball to hit it cleanly because I can judge the distance it's probably going to travel and adjust to get to it.

LeeD 08-08-2012 06:22 PM

There you go, from the horse's mouth. Don't look at the ball, look at your opponent! :):)
And of course, you mistook my idea of looking at the ball instead of the player. I meant, after HE hits the ball, you only need look at the incoming ball, because you know where the player is going.
Maybe at your level, your opponent runs to net after he hits a deep return, or runs to the bathroom, I don't know.
At my level, which is lowest 4.0, after my opponent hits the ball, I can tell from WHERE he hits the ball, and how he hits the ball, whether he's going back to recovery position, heading for the bathroom, or rushing blindly towards the net... without looking at him.
So where SHOULD I be looking, if I don't need to look at him?

OldFedIsOld 08-08-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6792418)
There you go, from the horse's mouth. Don't look at the ball, look at your opponent! :):)
And of course, you mistook my idea of looking at the ball instead of the player. I meant, after HE hits the ball, you only need look at the incoming ball, because you know where the player is going.
Maybe at your level, your opponent runs to net after he hits a deep return, or runs to the bathroom, I don't know.
At my level, which is lowest 4.0, after my opponent hits the ball, I can tell from WHERE he hits the ball, and how he hits the ball, whether he's going back to recovery position, heading for the bathroom, or rushing blindly towards the net... without looking at him.
So where SHOULD I be looking, if I don't need to look at him?

I never said to only look at your opponent, you obviously have to look at the ball sometimes, which is why I put 40%.

Whatever, I'll keep sticking to what works best for me and you do whatever works best for you.

LeeD 08-08-2012 07:22 PM

OK, since you're obviously a good guy and a student of the game.....
Let's say, I hit wide to your forehand, you contacting the ball about 5' behind the baseline, 3' from your sideline. You get there in time to hit almost anywhere you want.
So, you hit the ball, I look at the ball you just hit. Where can you go? Obviously, you're not coming to net from 5' behind the baseline. You are not going to continue running to the bleachers. You are not running back to shake the ballboy's hand. So where can you go? You are moving back towards center of intersect of my possible shot! I don't need to look at you whatsoever.
So, your ball lands deep and wide to my backhand, me lefty. Your ball actually hits near my baseline, with huge topspin and somewhat good pace. You see I prep with a high sliced backhand backswing, you notice I'm behind my baseline also, but trying to short hop the ball so I don't need to retreat farther back. I hit ball.
Now where do you thing I"M going? Obviously, I'm heading back to the center of intesect of your possible shots, back towards center, but not quite committed to all the way back to center hash.
YOU KNOW THAT! You dont need to watch me!
The BALL I hit needs to be watched, as I've just sliced hard and CC again, making a low skidded bounce. My shot is tricky and hard to contact dead center, but I"m going exactly where you expect I'd go.
Don't watch me, watch the ball I just hit.

OldFedIsOld 08-08-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6792533)
OK, since you're obviously a good guy and a student of the game.....
Let's say, I hit wide to your forehand, you contacting the ball about 5' behind the baseline, 3' from your sideline. You get there in time to hit almost anywhere you want.
So, you hit the ball, I look at the ball you just hit. Where can you go? Obviously, you're not coming to net from 5' behind the baseline. You are not going to continue running to the bleachers. You are not running back to shake the ballboy's hand. So where can you go? You are moving back towards center of intersect of my possible shot! I don't need to look at you whatsoever.
So, your ball lands deep and wide to my backhand, me lefty. Your ball actually hits near my baseline, with huge topspin and somewhat good pace. You see I prep with a high sliced backhand backswing, you notice I'm behind my baseline also, but trying to short hop the ball so I don't need to retreat farther back. I hit ball.
Now where do you thing I"M going? Obviously, I'm heading back to the center of intesect of your possible shots, back towards center, but not quite committed to all the way back to center hash.
YOU KNOW THAT! You dont need to watch me!
The BALL I hit needs to be watched, as I've just sliced hard and CC again, making a low skidded bounce. My shot is tricky and hard to contact dead center, but I"m going exactly where you expect I'd go.
Don't watch me, watch the ball I just hit.

1. I wouldn't be 5 feet behind the baseline unless of course you hit an overhead, because I take every ball early by or inside the baseline.
2. I'm tired of this back to back battle for who is right, since you obviously have 16,000 posts and the majority of it must be from the Tips/Instructions section. You must know everything and probably can coach better than a lot usta official coaches. You win, I won't reply anymore in this poor poster's thread.

mightyrick 08-08-2012 08:00 PM

I don't know how you guys are able to focus on exactly where the ball hits the racquet.

Honestly, all I know is what it feels like when I hit a desired shot properly and what it feels like when I hit it incorrectly. I have no concept of whether I'm hitting it in the center, hitting it high, or hitting it low. I just hit the damned thing.

LeeD 08-08-2012 08:00 PM

Sorry, it's just that when someone posts something ridiculous, I haver to step in and set the record straight. Other people read this forum, besides me and my arch enemies, so we can't go on record stating obvious flaws in ideas and techniques.
Sorry to take up your time, I hope your tennis game goes well.

5263 08-08-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6792611)
Sorry, it's just that when someone posts something ridiculous, I haver to step in and set the record straight. Other people read this forum, besides me and my arch enemies, so we can't go on record stating obvious flaws in ideas and techniques.
Sorry to take up your time, I hope your tennis game goes well.

You were making some important comments. I think he will learn more about the importance of tracking the ball as he plays more.

HEADfamilydynasty 08-08-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyrick (Post 6792610)
I don't know how you guys are able to focus on exactly where the ball hits the racquet.

Honestly, all I know is what it feels like when I hit a desired shot properly and what it feels like when I hit it incorrectly. I have no concept of whether I'm hitting it in the center, hitting it high, or hitting it low. I just hit the damned thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5263 (Post 6792281)
Maybe to hit "cleaner" is a better way to say it. There are different approaches
to sweet spots and more than one on the face.

This is what is more or less what i meant as the center is not always the SP.