Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How BAD are these Gamma racquets really? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=435574)

Lilguy1456 08-09-2012 07:34 PM

How BAD are these Gamma racquets really?

I know this subject has been touched on, but wow. Every other TW review has each racquet coming in at AT LEAST 70 points in EVERY category, and these Gammas are pulling 40s, 50s, etc? Will ANYONE purchase or even demo these CLUBS after reading that?

mad dog1 08-09-2012 08:32 PM

what are you talking about? the RZR 98 and 98 T got good scores.

Gamma RZR 98 Scores
Comfort 67
Touch/Feel 72
Serves 81
Groundstrokes 72
Returns 72
Slice 80
Topspin 83
Volleys 74
Overall 72

Gamma RZR 98 T Scores
Comfort 56
Touch/Feel 53
Serves 75
Groundstrokes 66
Returns 66
Slice 76
Topspin 81
Volleys 68
Overall 68

sstchur 08-09-2012 10:02 PM

They are good racquets. I've used them all. I like the 98 and the 100T the best, but the 98T is also really good.

I hit with a former Univ of New Mexico player a couple of weeks ago and he was using the 98T, and let me tell you: this guy can PLAY. If it's good enough for him, it's certainly good enough for many of the 3.5s and 4.0s on these boards.

But really though, don't just go by TW reviews. It's a small group of people with a specific style of game testing these racquets. They have their racquet preferences and it happens to be something other than the RZRs, but that doesn't mean the RZRs are bad.

Folks should try them. They're solid sticks.

I use a Gamma personally, but I use an older model Gamma (the T-7) because it's comfortable to me and my game is grooved around it. But when I eventually go through my remainder of T-7s, I'll probably be looking seriously at the 98 or the 100T.

zapvor 08-09-2012 10:13 PM

the gammas are not that bad actually.

SFrazeur 08-09-2012 10:30 PM

"The Points Don't Matter!"

PBODY99 08-09-2012 11:01 PM

Not bad at all

From the Tradition 18 to today, Gamma has produced "players frames" that when played work just fine. Tennis is more a game of operator error, than equipment failure.

sstchur 08-10-2012 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBODY99 (Post 6795532)
From the Tradition 18 to today, Gamma has produced "players frames" that when played work just fine. Tennis is more a game of operator error, than equipment failure.

That Tradition 18 was a sweet stick! Every now and again, you'll see on on the bay for sale. I worked at a small little sports shop in PA when I was in high school which carried Gamma racquets. The Tradition 18 and the Tradition 20 were fun racquets to hit with.

jnd28 08-10-2012 09:58 AM

I played with the RZR 100T and really liked it. Very different sort of specs. You dont find a 100 with an open string pattern with that kind of swing weight. You can really hit a heavy ball. Great serving stick. One should really put this on their demo list as it offers something different than what just about anyone else is offering. Its like a pure drive on steroids. You can really push people around with this frame. Lots of spin, great plow through and it will stand up to anything that anyone can throw at you!

I ended up replacing it with the Dunlop Max 200G that I found to be a little more maneuverable and more appropriate for my "old school" game. But I havent sold the RZR!

JND28

sstchur 08-10-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnd28 (Post 6796691)
I played with the RZR 100T and really liked it. Very different sort of specs. You dont find a 100 with an open string pattern with that kind of swing weight. You can really hit a heavy ball. Great serving stick. One should really put this on their demo list as it offers something different than what just about anyone else is offering. Its like a pure drive on steroids. You can really push people around with this frame. Lots of spin, great plow through and it will stand up to anything that anyone can throw at you!

I ended up replacing it with the Dunlop Max 200G that I found to be a little more maneuverable and more appropriate for my "old school" game. But I havent sold the RZR!

JND28

"You can really push people around with this frame. Lots of spin, great plow through and it will stand up to anything that anyone can throw at you! "

^^ This is particularly true.

I also find that these RZR racquets seems to really shine when you have a full western grip and play that youthful, topspin-heavy, baseline game.

I had much more success with the 100T when I forced myself to go full western, and I was indeed able to hit some crushing groundstrokes with it.

ptb5021 08-10-2012 11:00 AM

Is the consensus that the 100T is the best of the bunch? I generally have an issue keeping the ball in play using tweener frames - since I don't normally like going full western.

Any good words on the 98? Personally my favorite cosmetics...

Chotobaka 08-10-2012 11:31 AM

Like many of Gamma's products, their racquets are designed and manufactured through Toalson. Good quality equipment sold in the Japanese market.

sstchur 08-10-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptb5021 (Post 6796880)
Is the consensus that the 100T is the best of the bunch? I generally have an issue keeping the ball in play using tweener frames - since I don't normally like going full western.

Any good words on the 98? Personally my favorite cosmetics...

I like the 98 also. It's lighter and more maneuverable. The tradeoff is a little less stability. But I haven't tried weighting it up at all, and I suspect that might help. I have my T-7 weighted with 8g of lead in the handle and 4g at 12 o clock. I would probably try something similar with the 98.

In terms of "feel" I think I might like the 98 the best. And in terms of a kick serve, I've never gotten more arc over the net or a higher bounce on my kick serve than with the 98.

And I agree the cosmetics of it are the nicest.

jbleiman 08-10-2012 11:38 AM

i recently got a blackracquet 98...same as rzr 98...really like it...like it so much that i had 2 babolat aeropro drive non cortex original versions that i sold because i liked it better...so don't go by the tw reviews...everybody has a different opinion

aced_Tezuka 08-10-2012 11:58 AM

The 98 is beautiful. Plus it's very nice. Unstable at times though. But I personally liked it. So yeah, I agree with most of the comments in this thread. :)

ptb5021 08-10-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotobaka (Post 6796953)
Like many of Gamma's products, their racquets are designed and manufactured through Toalson. Good quality equipment sold in the Japanese market.

They aren't based in Pittsburgh anymore?

Also, has anyone noticed any NCAA or ATP players using these? Or is the marketing/endorsements not there yet?

aced_Tezuka 08-10-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptb5021 (Post 6797049)
They aren't based in Pittsburgh anymore?

Also, has anyone noticed any NCAA or ATP players using these? Or is the marketing/endorsements not there yet?

They are still based in Pittsburgh but their stuff is manufactured in Japan. :)

Also I read that Gamma doesn't sponsor anyone for their string or racquets. A shame really. :/ But pros do use Gamma though just no sponsorships I believe.

power level 800 08-10-2012 12:32 PM

I'm afraid to try any of their new stuff because the beam. The paint jobs are awesome. I know alot of ppl on here don't follow the reviews on here but I kinda do. I dont know why cause I know everyone has a different swing and technique. It just I got mixed reviews. I personally own Gamma racquets, none of the new line that came out but have nothing negative to say about the quality control that I do own. The specs for the 98 do sound like fun though.

sstchur 08-10-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aced_Tezuka (Post 6797067)
They are still based in Pittsburgh but their stuff is manufactured in Japan. :)

Also I read that Gamma doesn't sponsor anyone for their string or racquets. A shame really. :/ But pros do use Gamma though just no sponsorships I believe.

Vera was sponsored with them for a while, and while she no longer is, I believe she still uses Gamma strings: Zo Verve crossed with TNT I think, not 100% sure though.

A_Instead 08-10-2012 12:53 PM

My club pro switched from the Prestige to the 98T.
And swears by it.. Plus plays fantastic with it..

power level 800 08-10-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Instead (Post 6797123)
My club pro switched from the Prestige to the 98T.
And swears by it.. Plus plays fantastic with it..

I kinda wanted to try it out.. but is he a big guy? muscular type? you know since the sw is in the 350's and well not trying to put my self down in any way or form. But I would like to have the extra fire power cause Im not that strong but at the same time woudn't want to hurt my self. hmmm push-ups and pull-ups the answer!