Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Paintjob Story On Espn (2004) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=43578)

tennisphotog 08-08-2005 04:12 AM

Paintjob Story On Espn (2004)

Since this is so topical, another board member brought attention to this story. Simply posting it on its own as an FYI. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...892&type=story

Tennis17ace 08-08-2005 08:51 AM

Yep, seen it, but still cool

donnyz89 08-08-2005 01:25 PM

never saw it, always knew about it though, but this solidifies it. good find still.

im sure a lot of people are still in the dark about this.

BreakPoint 08-09-2005 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fee
This has been posted so many times, it should be a sticky like Andy's ankle braces.

It looks like your wish has been granted, Fee. :D

BTW, here's the link to the normal HTML format of the same article with pics: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...ory?id=1872892

Fee 08-09-2005 10:15 AM

hmmmm....

I would like the forum to be various shades of purple with silver trim!

(guess I'm not as powerful as I thought. oh well. ;) )

samster 08-09-2005 11:38 AM

Good find, good article. Thanks!

Geico 08-10-2005 10:03 PM

yeah, and then add Safin in there for attempting to continue using his PC600s after signing with Dunlop and you got...

Kalamae 08-11-2005 09:52 PM

cool article... I don't understand why we can't play with pro racquets... maybe it's because real pro racquets are so good that even an intermediate would play like a pro with a customized pro racquet...

ipod-upod 08-13-2005 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalamae
cool article... I don't understand why we can't play with pro racquets... .

Actually, you can. You just have to look for the older discontinued models that they use. Apparently, the pros either can't or won't adjust to the newer technologies (that are sometimes marketing driven to increase sales, right?). Better get on ****! :mrgreen:

friedalo1 08-22-2005 10:37 PM

Professinal tennis player started with regular racquet that everyone uses. It doesnt matter what a Pro uses. They can beat us with a wood racquet if they wanted too. Pros like Agassi and Roddick are spoiled by the racquet companies. They get free custom racquets. Their just plain spoiled players. Pros are like rock stars, if they want something. They will always get it for free.

vkartikv 08-26-2005 10:48 AM

Pros are very precise and fussy when it comes to racquet/string specs, so does a new paintjob not change those specs? Adding paint to a racquet must, most certainly, change the weight of the racquet. And when leading pros are concerned about the smallest nanogram of weight on their racquets, how does a paintjob affect this?

Jonnyf 08-26-2005 11:02 AM

It doesn't i think (would like to know though) they DON'T re-paint it they paint it from scratch with that PJ so when safin changed from I prestige pj to LM pj he just stopped using his i prestige pj as a new shipment arrived from head with the new PJ

BreakPoint 08-26-2005 11:56 AM

Yeah, they don't RE-PAINT the racquets. They just paint the bare racquets with the new model's paintjob and graphics to begin with at the factory. Besides, I don't think a thin layer of paint adds all that much weight anyway.

Bora 08-26-2005 12:27 PM

That's right, and if they had to they could always strip the paint and decals and repaint.

Tennisaurus 09-05-2005 05:28 AM

Shameful practice

I hadn't been "in-the-know" until I started reading these boards and the article. This is a blatant deceptive practice. I agree that some consumer group should address this. The public is being deliberately misled to sell the latest iteration of a racket.

In the article the national sales manager of Yonex is engaging in some serious b.s. spin : "Derrick Applegate, national sales manager for Yonex's racket sports division, said he doesn't believe consumers are being misled that they are buying the same racket players use in tournaments "as long as the player is using the same brand."

But it isn't only the company that is deceiving the public, its the player, as well who agrees to it. When it comes to making a buck, the consumer is lied to and treated like a patsy. Very disappointing.

Lost respect for both the racket companies and the player shills that engage in this practice. (Eliot Spitzer, where are you?)

As they say "caveat emptor".

Anyone have a list of 1.) who engages in this 2.) the racket they really use and 3.) the racket they are marketing they use, but they don't?

ichugtea 09-07-2005 07:49 AM

Probably the racquet companies would argue that they are not selling some inferior products while marketing for ones with superior quality. Nobody gets hurt. Most buyers would not tell the difference between a new model racquet and the one that is, in fact, older model with a paint job, even if after they swing them. And pro players customize their racquets based on their personal preferences; the racquets are still different from the ones that are off-the-shelf. The racquets being marketed now will eventually be used by pro players in the future, so they are probably better racquets, but not yet recognized.

My view to this practice is that what those racquet companies and players did was wrong. Thatís false advertisement. The buyers and fans are not only paying a good quality racquet, but also a huge premium to the belief that they are getting racquets of the same model as prosí, but in fact, are not. The consumers are deliberately deceived and misled, from which the racquet companies and those players are sharing big profit. I admire those players refuse to do so because it is so easy for them to say yes. the fact that they have beening doing this for a while and people are getting used to it does not make it right. At lease, those companies should stop doing this market practice. I am not surprised if they are getting sued.

expos8888 10-31-2005 12:22 PM

I new it!!!

see I use an old Rossignol from the 90's.

The racquets today are made for week school boys and have no feel. I knew none of those guys would be using those mass produced toys.

johncauthen 11-12-2005 04:15 PM

This story is a first-hand account of deception in the racquet industry. In 1993 I wrote to Head telling them that the racquets Pete Sampras used were nothing like the racquets anyone else was using. They have a lot more weight added to the top of the handle. At that time they were adding 3Ĺ ounces of extra weight to the top of the handles of Pete Samprasí racquets! I know, because I developed the weighting technique, and showed it to Wilson in April 1988.

Here is a picture of the racquet I showed to Wilson with this weighting technique. That racquet weighs 14 ounces and it has 1Ĺ ounces of tape above the grip.

Here is a Prince Pro modified the same way. It has less weight at the top of the grip and weighs 374 grams.

That weighting has a remarkable benefit on playerís games. I gave a modified racquet to a girl on the Rock Hill, South Carolina, Winthrop College tennis team in November 1987. She had lost two straight matches at Love, and was losing a practice match, 0-4. I had never seen her win a game, but she hit with abandon and looked good. She took my racquet and won the first game I had ever seen her win. When I gave it to her, I thought my racquet would tame her game. I knew at that moment, after she won with it, I had something. In April 1988, I saw Jim Baugh at Wilson and showed him two of my racquets. Jim Baugh has just started working their and was the Marketing Director.

Wilson told me they weren't interested in my idea. That was after testing it for two weeks while I waited in a motel in River Grove. Lots of extra weight at the top of the grip change the way you swing the racquet. That summer I saw Stefan Edberg at Wimbledon, on TV, and it looked like he had my weighting concept in his racquets.

I went to Prince with the modified Pro in 1989. Steve Davis, also the Marketing Director at that time, gave me a Graduate Prototype to modify. I could not make the Graduate work by adding weight where I added it to the aluminum Pro. I never sent the racquet back.

I learned more about my weighting. Here is a weight that if I had added it to the Graduate, it would have made it work.

You can see the weight can be very extreme, very heavy. In 1990 Pete Sampras won the US Open, and I heard his racquets weighed 460 grams. I suspected Stefan Edberg had my weighting, but after hearing about the weight of Samprasís racquet, 16.2 ounces, I KNEW Wilson was using my idea. (The racquets Jack Kramer and Don Budge used weighed 16 ounces. The racquets Suzanne Lenglen used weighed 15 ounces. I was inspired to modify a modern racquet this way by a 1920's racquet, and showed it to Wilson when I was satisfied with my prototypes.)

A week before the 1993 US Open, Sampras let Aaron Krickstein use some of his racquets and Krickstein liked them so much he borrowed some of Samprasí racquets to play the Open. But when Krickstein wanted to use the racquet, Wilson would not let him!

Then, as I said at the beginning, I wrote to Head and told them about the weighting in Sampras racquets that no on else could get, not even Krickstein.

I wrote to Head and said look at the weighting in Sampras' racquets. Robert Marte answered my letters. We each wrote three letters, six in all.

But Head didnít answer my seventh letter. Agassi got this weighting and won the US Open, unseeded. He started winning, dominating Sampras, using the same weighting Sampras had.

They temporarily took the weighting away from Agassi, who fell to 141 and blamed his racquets. He was ridiculed for blaming his racquets, but it was actually true. Now, Agassi uses a lesser performing version of it. So does Safin, who had it when he won the US Open. Ivanisevic had it when he won Wimbledon.

You canít get these racquets, and there really are racquets that make pros play better. They also make average players play better. I feel that only Federer is being given this style of racquet today. Of the women, Davenport and the Williams sisters have them. It is the biggest scandal in sports.

Joe12 11-12-2005 04:40 PM

Wow. Really?

shsman2091 11-12-2005 07:42 PM

Hey John, would you mind modifying a racquet for me with your weighting system? I'll even pay, give me your price. I can be reached at saad24@msn.com .