Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Android tennis scoring app (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=436035)

DustinW 08-14-2012 05:55 AM

Android tennis scoring app

I developed an Android app called Keep Score that let's you keep the score at sporting events. I recently added tennis to the list of sports that you can do. If anybody wants to check it out and give me feedback, I'd appreciate it.

For right now, it is just standard scoring... 2 out of 3 sets with ad scoring and 7-point tiebreakers at 6-6.

Here is the link:
Keep Score

And there is also a PRO version that gets rids of ads and lets you select a few different themes.

goober 08-14-2012 09:09 AM

I don't see this being too valuable.

Tennis players generally don't carry large androind phones on them when they are playing. Even if they did I can't see them entering scores after every point or even every game.

Spectators at Pro events have scoreboard and chair calling out score.

Spectators at recreational events rarely are in position to keep track of scores because scores and calls are made by players and often not audible. Most of the time in rec events you don't watch entire matches from start to finish. Even you did, you could easily just follow the score by keeping it in your head. In the end you still have to rely on what the actual players are reporting to know the score.

tennismonkey 08-14-2012 09:28 AM

i had an idea for an app called "Balls in My Pocket". it helps you know how many tennis balls are in your pocket at any given time. don't steal my idea.

i do think that i'd love a tennis app that i can use as a coach and/or spectator to track match stats. for example how many winners and errors a player had in a set. and on what wing and what location on the court. number of aces and double faults too. the key would be to make the input of that information quick and easy and then display all that information.

sureshs 08-14-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 6805820)
I don't see this being too valuable.

Tennis players generally don't carry large androind phones on them when they are playing. Even if they did I can't see them entering scores after every point or even every game.

Spectators at Pro events have scoreboard and chair calling out score.

Spectators at recreational events rarely are in position to keep track of scores because scores and calls are made by players and often not audible. Most of the time in rec events you don't watch entire matches from start to finish. Even you did, you could easily just follow the score by keeping it in your head. In the end you still have to rely on what the actual players are reporting to know the score.

You can hang the phone from a side post and update it on changeovers.

dufferok 08-14-2012 12:16 PM

DustinW - Your app looks very professionally done. Good job! How long did it take you to learn how to write an Android app? Do you use Eclipse as your IDE or something else?

christos_liaskos 08-14-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennismonkey (Post 6805860)
i had an idea for an app called "Balls in My Pocket". it helps you know how many tennis balls are in your pocket at any given time. don't steal my idea.

i do think that i'd love a tennis app that i can use as a coach and/or spectator to track match stats. for example how many winners and errors a player had in a set. and on what wing and what location on the court. number of aces and double faults too. the key would be to make the input of that information quick and easy and then display all that information.

there already is one, its called tennis math, i have it although havent used it much

DustinW 08-14-2012 12:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

@Goober: All valid points. The app is meant for the spectator of recreational tennis. I've had plenty of requests to make a tennis scoring app, so there must be at least a few people that will use it.

@tennismonkey: I hope to add a few statistics. I can only do a minimal amount with the info provided, but I can at least show % of points won.

@dufferok: Thanks. I write software at my day job, so learning Java and the Android framework wasn't too difficult. From start to having my first app on the market was probably 2 months of working on it evenings and weekends. Yes, I use Eclipse for the IDE.

dufferok 08-15-2012 12:06 PM

@DustinW - Thanks

marklemons1 01-20-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennismonkey (Post 6805860)

"Tennis Chart" (android app) is quite a good - and affordable - one if you have someone to watch the match and record the hits for you.

ollinger 01-20-2013 11:31 AM

The app is for spectators? Doesn't the scoreboard generally keep track of these things?