Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Wrist pain: Suggestions? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=436064)

Lilguy1456 08-14-2012 10:54 AM

Wrist pain: Suggestions?

I've been having some wrist pain as of late, particularly on the outside part of the wrist (pinky side). I find the pain is worse when I serve a lot of balls (more hitting, not so bad...but after a match or practice serving, worse). Any suggestions?

Power Player 08-14-2012 10:56 AM

Good news is that it is not the inside tendons like I had.

I would suggest icing it down..resting for a week and then resuming with a wrist wrap.

Make sure your technique is in order as well.

ThomasTerrible 08-14-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilguy1456 (Post 6805903)
I've been having some wrist pain as of late, particularly on the outside part of the wrist (pinky side). I find the pain is worse when I serve a lot of balls (more hitting, not so bad...but after a match or practice serving, worse). Any suggestions?

If you want racket advice that might combat your problems, stay here.

If it's about rehabilitation and treatment and training to build up resistance, you're better off in the Health & Fitness thread..
If you suspect your technique is causing it, also try the Tennis Tips/Instruction thread...

Magic of tennis 08-14-2012 01:01 PM

Hello Lilguy,

I had same wrist pain whenever I played tennis.
Irregardless of whatever causing the problem, the best solution is wraping up with good tape ALL THE TIME when you play tennis.
There will be 3 things can cause: 1. bad technique 2, stiff racquet with poly + high tension 3. previous injury at wrist or ?

I tried wrist exercise with weight but it doesn't seem to help me. Taping is the best way. Rest with ice for 1 week or so until pain disappears then you start to play with taping. You will not have pain again. Maybe you might have some sore after heavy playing day.

Long Face 08-14-2012 02:57 PM

Wrist pain - you need a racquet of lower flex. Maybe slightly heavier (depends).

I had wrist pain when I used Babolat Pure Drive (flex 72).
I changed to Babolate Pure Storm Tour (flex 66) and my wrist got a lot better.
I then changed to Wilson Pro Staff Six.One (flex 64) and my wrist is now completely pain free.

Lilguy1456 08-14-2012 08:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I played a LOT with the Youtek SpeedPro (which is VERY stiff) and that's when the pain started to ramp up. I have recently switched to the Volkl C10 Pro which is very flexy, so we'll see if that helps.

I don't claim to be an expert at 4.0, but I don't think my technique is the problem, as the problem is fairly recent. We'll see if the Volkl flex fixes the issue.

loosegroove 08-14-2012 08:59 PM

I get wrist pain too sometimes from a previous non-tennis related injury. Best thing to do is rest and let it get better. Then when you start playing again, make sure to stretch your wrists before playing, and taping them up doesn't hurt either. Make sure you're not using too small a grip size and use a nice flexy racket like your Volkl C10 (or in my experience even better the Prince EXO3 Tour) and string it up with some softer string like a good multi. If you're a string breaker, a soft co-poly in the mains and a multi in the crosses at lower tensions should be fine.

mad dog1 08-14-2012 09:52 PM

i think a new gamma racquet will eliminate your wrist pain. :twisted:

UCSF2012 08-14-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilguy1456 (Post 6805903)

The only racket to give me wrist pain was the KPS88. The solution? Dump the frame and get something else.

Now, as for elbow pain...lots of things cause that. Full poly, poly in combo with too much lead, K Factor rackets in general, hitting off centered with any of the above.

What makes the pain go away? BLX, silicone in handle, and gut strings. ...it's cheaper to pay for natural gut than physical therapy and medical bills.

mad dog1 08-14-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic of tennis (Post 6806211)
Hello Lilguy,

I had same wrist pain whenever I played tennis.
Irregardless of whatever causing the problem, the best solution is wraping up with good tape ALL THE TIME when you play tennis.
There will be 3 things can cause: 1. bad technique 2, stiff racquet with poly + high tension 3. previous injury at wrist or ?

I tried wrist exercise with weight but it doesn't seem to help me. Taping is the best way. Rest with ice for 1 week or so until pain disappears then you start to play with taping. You will not have pain again. Maybe you might have some sore after heavy playing day.

good solid advice. i did the same as was all good for about a year. since the wrist was painfree, i stopped wrapping and the pain came back.

codyjames14 08-15-2012 12:35 AM

Sounds pretty dumb but when I started having the same pain, I started wearing a nice snug wristband directly over my whole wrist and I haven't had any pain since.

tistrapukcipeht 08-15-2012 08:04 AM

If you use natural gut or any soft string may ease the pain and may not even give you any pain.

Lilguy1456 08-15-2012 09:08 AM

Yeah...I never thought I'd be bothered by the stiffness, but I suppose I am. Interesting about the grip size. I tend to gravitate towards slightly smaller grip sizes because I feel like i'm handling the racquet better, but that may be part of the problem too....nothing a thick overgrip can't fix!