Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Jimmy Connors and Wimbledon and the U.S. Open (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=436065)

McEnroeisanartist 08-14-2012 09:55 AM

Jimmy Connors and Wimbledon and the U.S. Open
 
Everyone knows that Federer passed Jimmy Connors for most Grand Slam semifinals at this year's Wimbledon with 32 Grand Slam semifinals. However, 9of Federer's semifinals are at the Australian Open, which Connors only played twice and 7 are the French Open, which Connors often skipped.

Federer has been 16 U.S. Open and Wimbledon semifinals, this is tied for third most all time. Sampras has 17. Amazingly, Connors was in 25 U.S. Open and Wimbledon semifinals. Even as a Federer worshiper, I can not imagine Federer exceeding this achievement. Quite awesome from Jimbo.

Mustard 08-14-2012 10:02 AM

Connors won 98 matches at the US Open and 84 matches at Wimbledon.

McEnroeisanartist 08-14-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard (Post 6805924)
Connors won 98 matches at the US Open and 84 matches at Wimbledon.

Yep. 182 matches won at the two biggest tennis tournaments.

2nd most - Sampras - 134
3rd most - Federer - 127

hoodjem 08-14-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McEnroeisanartist (Post 6805906)
Federer has been 16 U.S. Open and Wimbledon semifinals, this is tied for third most all time. Sampras has 17. Amazingly, Connors was in 25 U.S. Open and Wimbledon semifinals. Even as a Federer worshiper, I can not imagine Federer exceeding this achievement. Quite awesome from Jimbo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McEnroeisanartist (Post 6806020)
Yep. 182 matches won at the two biggest tennis tournaments.

2nd most - Sampras - 134
3rd most - Federer - 127

What!? You mean there is a statistic in which Fed does not hold no. 1.!?

I cannot believe it. Good work gents.

kishnabe 08-14-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McEnroeisanartist (Post 6806020)
Yep. 182 matches won at the two biggest tennis tournaments.

2nd most - Sampras - 134
3rd most - Federer - 127

I don't Federer can touch that unless he plays into his early 40's! Let say he reaches the SF of the US which makes it 132.

50 left. It would mean 5 more years of reaching SF in WB and US....that too much of an ask for Roger.

His best option is to win 4 Consecutive US Opens from now and add another 4 Consecutive Wimbledon titles on top of the one he won....just to equal it.

McEnroeisanartist 08-14-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodjem (Post 6806351)
What!? You mean there is a statistic in which Fed does not hold no. 1.!?

I cannot believe it. Good work gents.

hahaha. yes, i think some of the longevity records/achievements, Federer will never touch. Jimmy Connors' 109 singles titles will not be touched. Also, Connors had 31 quarterfinal appearances at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. 2nd best: Agassi with only 20. Federer has 19. Connors reached his first Grand Slam semifinal in 1974 and his last in 1991. This is a gap of 17 years. For Federer to achieve this, he would have to reach a Grand Slam semifinal in 2020. This seems near impossible.

jrepac 08-17-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McEnroeisanartist (Post 6806397)
hahaha. yes, i think some of the longevity records/achievements, Federer will never touch. Jimmy Connors' 109 singles titles will not be touched. Also, Connors had 31 quarterfinal appearances at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. 2nd best: Agassi with only 20. Federer has 19. Connors reached his first Grand Slam semifinal in 1974 and his last in 1991. This is a gap of 17 years. For Federer to achieve this, he would have to reach a Grand Slam semifinal in 2020. This seems near impossible.

Connors was in the upper echelons of the game from about 1973 to 1989.....for many of those years, I think '74 to 85, he was in the top 4...consistently, week after week. You can look it up at the ATP site. Even as late as '84 he was ranked #2 in the world. Connors skipping some of the GS events did not really hurt his ranking, since it was based on the events he played....and he was incredibly consistent in reaching the end rounds. The USO was his showcase of how consistent he was, even in his twilight.

pc1 08-17-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodjem (Post 6806351)
What!? You mean there is a statistic in which Fed does not hold no. 1.!?

I cannot believe it. Good work gents.

I sense TMF replying soon. lol.

BTURNER 08-17-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McEnroeisanartist (Post 6806020)
Yep. 182 matches won at the two biggest tennis tournaments.

2nd most - Sampras - 134
3rd most - Federer - 127

I happen to know a lot of folks in Europe and elsewhere actually would resent this notion. They would claim that Roland Garros is equal in stature and more closely represents what the tournaments on several continents are played on.

hoodjem 08-18-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McEnroeisanartist (Post 6806397)
hahaha. yes, i think some of the longevity records/achievements, Federer will never touch. Jimmy Connors' 109 singles titles will not be touched. Also, Connors had 31 quarterfinal appearances at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. 2nd best: Agassi with only 20. Federer has 19. Connors reached his first Grand Slam semifinal in 1974 and his last in 1991. This is a gap of 17 years. For Federer to achieve this, he would have to reach a Grand Slam semifinal in 2020. This seems near impossible.

How about Rosewall's winning slams 19 years apart (i.e. Australian Championship 1953 and 1972)?

kiki 08-18-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodjem (Post 6815678)
How about Rosewall's winning slams 19 years apart (i.e. Australian Championship 1953 and 1972)?

Good one.

another one is Laver winning Wimbledon 6 years after his last win and 6 years being banned to play it from 63 to 68.

GS 08-18-2012 11:12 AM

I'll always like 3 records in pro tennis:
Jimmy Connors winning the US Open on 3 different surfaces.
Chris Evert winning 125 consecutive matches on clay.
Vince Spadea losing 21 first round ATP tour matches in a row. Even Donald Young won't be able to beat that record!

hoodjem 08-18-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS (Post 6816239)
Vince Spadea losing 21 first round ATP tour matches in a row. Even Donald Young won't be able to beat that record!

Dang!

I always knew (secretly, in my heart of hearts) that the Spade is the GOAT

hoodjem 08-18-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodjem (Post 6816712)
Dang!

I always knew (secretly, in my heart of hearts) that the Spade is the GOAT

This proves it:
1999 ATP Masters Series Monte Carlo
Spadea, Vincent vs. Federer, Roger
Monaco Clay R64 W: Spadea, Vincent
7-6(3), 6-0 Stats

NadalDramaQueen 08-18-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodjem (Post 6806351)
What!? You mean there is a statistic in which Fed does not hold no. 1.!?

I cannot believe it. Good work gents.

Haha. I don't think Federer (or anyone) would feel bad about being behind Connors. Even Federer knows Connors would beat his *** in five.

pc1 08-18-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS (Post 6816239)
Vince Spadea losing 21 first round ATP tour matches in a row. Even Donald Young won't be able to beat that record!

Don't you realize that the GREAT SPADEA lost those matches to give his opponent hope that they may have a chance to win in the future. Spadea could easily beat Laver, Tilden, Federer, Nadal, Djokovic with ease and with his hands tied behind his back.:)

pc1 08-18-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalDramaQueen (Post 6816927)
Haha. I don't think Federer (or anyone) would feel bad about being behind Connors. Even Federer knows Connors would beat his *** in five.

I've always been curious how Federer would have reacted if Connors got the crowd screaming in his favor at Flushing Meadow. I've seen it in person when Connors did that to Lendl at the 1983 US Open and it was scary. Federer may win but it would be mental torture.

NadalDramaQueen 08-18-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pc1 (Post 6817019)
I've always been curious how Federer would have reacted if Connors got the crowd screaming in his favor at Flushing Meadow. I've seen it in person when Connors did that to Lendl at the 1983 US Open and it was scary. Federer may win but it would be mental torture.

I still have nightmares about Connors to this day. I think that Federer may be the better player on paper (whatever that means), but Connors would just be too awesome to let Federer win easily. I think Connors could rattle anyone. He would kick over one of Nadal's water bottles and drink the other one, all while fist pumping and causing the crowd to roar.

pc1 08-18-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalDramaQueen (Post 6817027)
I still have nightmares about Connors to this day. I think that Federer may be the better player on paper (whatever that means), but Connors would just be too awesome to let Federer win easily. I think Connors could rattle anyone. He would kick over one of Nadal's water bottles and drink the other one, all while fist pumping and causing the crowd to roar.

Connors would be the type of opponent Federer never faced before as far as attitude is concerned. That's why I would be curious about Federer against guys like Connors, McEnroe or Nastase. These guys were not only gifted players but also a pain in the neck to play in ways other than tennis. Unfortunately it will never happen.

NadalDramaQueen 08-18-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pc1 (Post 6817042)
Connors would be the type of opponent Federer never faced before as far as attitude is concerned. That's way I would be curious about Federer against guys like Connors, McEnroe or Nastase. These guys were not only gifted players but also a pain in the neck to play in ways other than tennis. Unfortunately it will never happen.

None of the players today seem to have such an attitude, for better or worse. Even so, sometimes I think that Fed cowers in the glare of Nadal's death stare. I do think that Federer would be rattled by any of those guys, but maybe if he grew up in the presence of such figures, he would be less prone to getting rattled by his opponents' mind games.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse