Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Cracked Frame? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=436194)

TimothyO 08-15-2012 11:37 AM

Cracked Frame?

Hitting serves this afternoon my frame flew from my hand and smacked into the ground.

I've never cracked a frame before, deliberately or accidentally. So I have no idea if this thing is done for or not.

The paint and surface on BOTH sides of the frame at 12 showed a little bulging. I scraped off the paint/surface material and the structure underneath appears intact. I can't see a crack, I hit some more balls and everything appeared fine, tapped it on the ground and later with a heavy spoon and it sounds just like my other frame.

Have I dodged a bullet or might there be damage below the surface, inside the structure? It's strung with gut/poly at 56/54 and the string job is a couple of weeks old. Is there any safety issue using a potentially cracked frame?

In any case I'm buying another one since they're OOP by Dunlop and I really enjoy this frame. Just need to know if I can keep using this thing. I'd post photos but I believe that's useless since all you can see is the graphite where I scraped away the surface paint...no crack is visible.

LeeD 08-15-2012 11:47 AM

Not all cracks are the same.
Some lead to racket breakage.
Some just stay there foreever.
Good you didn't string at 62 lbs.
Go thru the replacement procedure, but you did drop the racket.
And have a spared ready.

TimothyO 08-15-2012 02:57 PM

Thanks LeeD!

It was my fault as I was also using a worn OG. Wouldn't feel kosher filing a "claim".

I've sanded the damaged area and it looks intact. hitting tonight with friend...will see then if it holds!

rich s 08-15-2012 03:01 PM

Tap on the suspected damaged area with a quarter then tap on a known undamaged area with a quarter and see how they compare....

if you don't hear a difference in the taps between the two areas you probably have nothing to worry about......

if they do sound different then play with it until it breaks/becomes unplayable.....

as Lee said... (if it is cracked) all cracks are different.

my @.02

Long Face 08-15-2012 03:07 PM

Darn..... I bet the OP will always feel that the frame is somehow different now

KineticChain 08-15-2012 03:47 PM

It's 2012... take a pic of the crack and post it

TimothyO 08-15-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KineticChain (Post 6809174)
It's 2012... take a pic of the crack and post it

There's no visible crack. Read OP. Whether 2012 or 19xx time is money.

TimothyO 08-15-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Long Face (Post 6809068)
Darn..... I bet the OP will always feel that the frame is somehow different now

You're evil! :)

TimothyO 08-15-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich s (Post 6809047)
Tap on the suspected damaged area with a quarter then tap on a known undamaged area with a quarter and see how they compare....

if you don't hear a difference in the taps between the two areas you probably have nothing to worry about......

if they do sound different then play with it until it breaks/becomes unplayable.....

as Lee said... (if it is cracked) all cracks are different.

my @.02

No difference in sound. Will be on court in 30 minutes to see result!

Austinator 08-15-2012 03:58 PM

Well as long it feels the same when you hit the ball you could use it until you need to restring, which you won't be able to do.

Prodigy1234 08-15-2012 03:59 PM

this thread is worthless without pics. :)

KineticChain 08-15-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 6809194)
There's no visible crack. Read OP. Whether 2012 or 19xx time is money.

Puh-leeeze. It takes all of 2 minutes to take a pic and post it. If you have enough time to create a thread and respond to posters, I'm sure you could post a pic. A pic reveals far more info than a brief description of the pic. A description can be biased because you only take note of things you think are important. An expert looking at a picture can pick up more subtle details you would think are irrelevant or unimportant. Since you are asking for help from more knowledgeable(hopefully) people on a particular issue, you should provide a picture in all its glory. ;) If this was 19xx, I'd let you off the hook since digital cameras and internet forums were in their infancy.

West Coast Ace 08-15-2012 07:14 PM

I got a racquet back from the stringer that they'd cracked accidentally (let a rookie do it) while stringing (made good on replacing it without any problems).

I knew right away - just 'double tapping' a ball to pick it up off the court, I could feel that it wasn't solid anymore.

I wish the OP had taken a quick pic and posted before sanding too. @Kinetic is right - 21st century. New word for the day: ubiquitous.

TimothyO 08-15-2012 07:26 PM

Well, it survived a set of doubles and one set of singles tonight. A friend who suffered a similar incident and examined it agreed it's probably just superficial. Same criteria as many have mentioned here: sound and feel are good signs. Next test will be re-restringing. In any case, definitely buying another one just in case!