Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Which ankle brace for tendonitis? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=436220)

dufferok 08-15-2012 02:27 PM

Which ankle brace for tendonitis?

After lots of running over the past few months I have developed tendonitis in both of my ankles. Does anyone recommend either of these braces to wear while running to prevent any further damage? ASO Ankle Stabilizing Orthosis or AirCast A60 Ankle Brace?

connico 08-15-2012 03:48 PM

How has the injury occured? Which tendons are affected and what treatment have you had?

Have you gone and seen a professional?

and finally. I use the Aircast A60 on both ankles now.

charliefedererer 08-16-2012 10:02 AM

In general, ankle braces are made to protect the ligaments of the ankle, not the tendons.
As such, ankle braces are generally made to protect against abnormal side to side or twisting motion.

The ligaments hold the bones together, so they don't move side to side or twist past one another abnormally.

The ligaments on the other hand go from the muscles to the foot bones to control movement, not to provide any strength at the ankle level. Indeed, the tendons are made to glide freely at the ankle level:

To "rest" the tendons, an ankle brace would have to significantly restrict ankle movement so the tendon isn't being flexed/extended.
But any ankle brace that restriced flexion/extension would make playing tennis difficult.

dufferok 08-16-2012 07:24 PM

The pain is around the Posterior Tibial Tendon (just under and near the back edge of the inner ankle on both feet). The pain isn't bad enough that I have to take meds, just enough that it is annoying at times. It doesn't hurt unless I run 2+ miles or if I do 500+ jump ropes, then it starts to hurt, so I was just curious if wearing a brace would provide enough protection to allow me to continue running, playing tennis, etc. without fear of doing any more harm to the tendon...assuming that is the tendon that is causing the pain.

LeeD 08-16-2012 08:45 PM

I doubt anyone short of a sports doc can tell you unequivicolly that you "won't harm yourself further" by using xxxx or yyyy.
However, lots of players wear ankle braces to keep their ankles from getting severely twisted and turned. If you think that might help, an ASO is relatively cheap.

LeeD 08-16-2012 08:46 PM

Spell it? I can't even say it.

connico 08-16-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dufferok (Post 6812735)
The pain is around the Posterior Tibial Tendon (just under and near the back edge of the inner ankle on both feet). The pain isn't bad enough that I have to take meds, just enough that it is annoying at times. It doesn't hurt unless I run 2+ miles or if I do 500+ jump ropes, then it starts to hurt, so I was just curious if wearing a brace would provide enough protection to allow me to continue running, playing tennis, etc. without fear of doing any more harm to the tendon...assuming that is the tendon that is causing the pain.

Brace isnt going to prevent shock and existing pain. A brace is only going to protect movement of the ankle to prevent injury. A brace is an alternative to taping which can get expensive pretty fast.

Regards

fuzz nation 08-22-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by connico (Post 6812941)
Brace isnt going to prevent shock and existing pain. A brace is only going to protect movement of the ankle to prevent injury. A brace is an alternative to taping which can get expensive pretty fast.

Regards

This is roughly my thinking, too. Tough to know exacly what's going on, but the two things that have steered me away from actual tendonitis in my ankles have been using shock absorbing inserts (orthodics) and also finding shoes that give me proper neutral ankle alignment.