Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Getting OFF the poly bandwagon. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=436261)

sansaephanh 08-15-2012 10:52 PM

Getting OFF the poly bandwagon.

I think i'm just gonna go cold turkey. I haven't found better spin or lasting playability yet, but I'm honestly not on the level that i should be using it.

I've finally come to terms with my own humanity. Even as I type I have doubts that I will find anything close to bhbr, but I guess I should be 4.5+ for poly like everyone suggests.

I'm going to be glad not worry about equipment as much, THATs for sure.

I'm kinda scared about how to go about this. Just buy a reel of synth gut and live averagely ever after?

Wish me luck lol.

maxpotapov 08-15-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansaephanh (Post 6810236)
I think i'm just gonna go cold turkey. I haven't found better spin or lasting playability yet, but I'm honestly not on the level that i should be using it.

I've finally come to terms with my own humanity. Even as I type I have doubts that I will find anything close to bhbr, but I guess I should be 4.5+ for poly like everyone suggests.

I'm going to be glad not worry about equipment as much, THATs for sure.

I'm kinda scared about how to go about this. Just buy a reel of synth gut and live averagely ever after?

Wish me luck lol.

Synth gut is high maintenance due to frequent restringing. I could hardly play two hitting sessions with full synthetic gut, because playability dropped significantly after 2-3 hours of hitting. And I quickly got tired of restringing every other day.

Full natural gut or some nat gut / poly hybrid will give you peace of mind for 20+ hours, if you are 4.5 or below. And will be economical too, unless you shank too much too often ($30+ string job will surely motivate you to watch the ball more closely)

Ashley D 08-15-2012 11:19 PM

Lol, Sans I bought a whole reel of BHBR based on your recommendation, and now you're leaving me out in the cold! I'm joking, obviously. I played with Head RIP control for many years and loved it. It frays, but doesn't seem to lose playability.

sansaephanh 08-15-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpotapov (Post 6810254)
Synth gut is high maintenance due to frequent restringing. I could hardly play two hitting sessions with full synthetic gut, because playability dropped significantly after 2-3 hours of hitting. And I quickly got tired of restringing every other day.

Full natural gut or some nat gut / poly hybrid will give you peace of mind for 20+ hours, if you are 4.5 or below. And will be economical too, unless you shank too much too often ($30+ string job will surely motivate you to watch the ball more closely)

I don't take care of my rackets enough to warrant gut. I leave them around the house and in the car. I play in sun, rain, or drive bys. (its Nor Cal so it changes every 30 minutes.)

Yeah... I went through an experiment on 3 of my rebels. All forten sweet 17. I was hitting with some GOOD 4.0s. I had to counter punch everything back and dig out rally balls for goodness sakes! Each racket... the string started moving pretty massively after 30-40 mins. I kind of don't wanna go back to synthetic lol. I'm thinking of going for mid priced synthetics and multis for less string movement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashley D (Post 6810263)
Lol, Sans I bought a whole reel of BHBR based on your recommendation, and now you're leaving me out in the cold! I'm joking, obviously. I played with Head RIP control for many years and loved it. It frays, but doesn't seem to lose playability.

Ahaha. I am definitely going to try rip 16 and 17. Probably PPA as well just from mikelers thread.

Hows the BHBR treating you Ash? I miss it just thinking about it. What gauge?

maxpotapov 08-16-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansaephanh (Post 6810284)
Probably PPA as well just from mikelers thread.

That's where I am right now, PPA 16 @ 50 lbs in Mid Plus 18x20 frame. Price/durability is excellent, comfort is good, power and spin are mediocre.
I guess, once you got used to how poly (such as BHBR) bites the ball it is almost impossible to go back to any multis. Unless you hit predominantly flat, of course. After trying some full beds of multis recently, I found that my only possible option in terms of playability (spin, power, comfort) and durability is natural gut/poly.

sansaephanh 08-16-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpotapov (Post 6810299)
That's where I am right now, PPA 16 @ 50 lbs in Mid Plus 18x20 frame. Price/durability is excellent, comfort is good, power and spin are mediocre.
I guess, once you got used to how poly (such as BHBR) bites the ball it is almost impossible to go back to any multis. Unless you hit predominantly flat, of course. After trying some full beds of multis recently, I found that my only possible option in terms of playability (spin, power, comfort) and durability is natural gut/poly.

I was actually racking my brain towards Gamma Ruff and Dunlop Hexy Fibre. Both textured and seem to have decent bite, but I can't find alot of good reviews. Most people seem to use hexy fiber as a cross, which I can't totally understand, because its a multi, which means it notches and frays faster AND its textured so wouldnt it decrease the main's "snapping" potential?

Either way, I really don't want to give up the bite. It's even tougher that BHBR comes out to 5.50 a set in reel and dunlop hexy comes out as 6, but with probably a ton less lasting playability.

SEE?? I"M TALKING MY WAY OUT OF GIVING UP POLY ALREADY! SOMEONE STOP ME lol.

Ashley D 08-16-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansaephanh (Post 6810284)

Ahaha. I am definitely going to try rip 16 and 17. Probably PPA as well just from mikelers thread.

Hows the BHBR treating you Ash? I miss it just thinking about it. What gauge?

I got 17g to hybrid with 17g Klip Kicker in my Rebel 95. Unfortunatley, I'm headed for my second knee surgery in 13months, so I haven't been able to even use it yet. I'm only 32 and surgery on each knee!

sansaephanh 08-16-2012 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashley D (Post 6810313)
I got 17g to hybrid with 17g Klip Kicker in my Rebel 95. Unfortunatley, I'm headed for my second knee surgery in 13months, so I haven't been able to even use it yet. I'm only 32 and surgery on each knee!

ah man that sounds like a great setup for such a dense bed. I'm sorry to hear about the surgeries man. Be sure to go through rehab proper and come back to us!

maggmaster 08-16-2012 04:04 AM

I recently decided no more poly as well. I am about 2 weeks in with all of my frames strung at 55 lbs with pros pro gutex and it is tough to not have the amazing spin. However, it will be worth it if I can train longer and better with less pain. Playing tennis is a long term thing, like a marathon, particularly if you are still trying to improve into your 30s or 40s.

naturallight 08-16-2012 09:43 AM

Me too, if I'm serving a lot, poly makes my shoulder so sore. Even a hybrid.

DrpShot! 08-16-2012 09:55 AM

Why give up? I'm using my 18x20 Prestiges again, I just don't go over 50lbs with any poly, no arm pain, great response, durability, control. Lately been using BHBK7.

Larrysümmers 08-16-2012 09:59 AM

eh switching from poly is more of a mind thing than anything. a soft multi at a high tension has plenty of control and spin, plus it feel a whole lot softer.

maggmaster 08-16-2012 10:17 AM

Yea it does but not quite the magical spin of poly. I notice it mostly on the run shots.

ewberner 08-16-2012 10:35 AM

Why not try a hybrid with gut or multi in the mains and bhbr crosses?

anubis 08-16-2012 10:52 AM

I gave up on poly as well. I was in the middle of a 10 or 12 game losing streak ever since I switched to poly. I strung up PPA 16 last weekend, played my first match with it and won.

it could be luck, I may have won it either way, I can't tell. all i know is, I have the "feel" that i'm looking for with multifilament. I don't have that feel with poly. Sure, I get tons of spin, but what good is spin if the shot doesn't go over the net or is hit wide?

My next purchase is a reel of PPA. that stuff is magic.

mikeler 08-16-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anubis (Post 6811614)
I gave up on poly as well. I was in the middle of a 10 or 12 game losing streak ever since I switched to poly. I strung up PPA 16 last weekend, played my first match with it and won.

it could be luck, I may have won it either way, I can't tell. all i know is, I have the "feel" that i'm looking for with multifilament. I don't have that feel with poly. Sure, I get tons of spin, but what good is spin if the shot doesn't go over the net or is hit wide?

Try out Discho Microfibre before commtting to a reel of PPA. It has a little less spin but even more control and seems to age better.

maxpotapov 08-16-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anubis (Post 6811614)

Reel of PPA is overpriced, you will save like $10 max, and it will take you quite some time to go through the reel - you will grow tired of PPA before you finish it. It is a little subdued in feel and power, and soon you might want something more exciting to tickle your senses.

sansaephanh 08-16-2012 11:54 AM

I dont know guys. The problem with me going back to multis/synths is power. I love the feel, but it really has me sending balls deep everywhere. Stringing at 60 takes away too much feel sometimes, but any lower has a undesirable amount of power. This is just me finding reasons to stick with bhbr though. The "magical spin" has increased my serve% and has won me matches via heft of bigger swings.

I've played with a synth recently and it wasn't too bad at all. It was just annoying has heck not being able to control really big cuts.

I got a little shoulder/wrist soreness with cyberflash, but not with bhbr. I know it's mainly my serve for too. Serving 50-80+ mph with all arm isn't the most ideal serve to have lol.

ewberner 08-16-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansaephanh (Post 6811911)
I dont know guys. The problem with me going back to multis/synths is power. I love the feel, but it really has me sending balls deep everywhere. Stringing at 60 takes away too much feel sometimes, but any lower has a undesirable amount of power. This is just me finding reasons to stick with bhbr though. The "magical spin" has increased my serve% and has won me matches via heft of bigger swings.

I've played with a synth recently and it wasn't too bad at all. It was just annoying has heck not being able to control really big cuts.

I got a little shoulder/wrist soreness with cyberflash, but not with bhbr. I know it's mainly my serve for too. Serving 50-80+ mph with all arm isn't the most ideal serve to have lol.

Just hybrid!

anubis 08-16-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6811668)
Try out Discho Microfibre before commtting to a reel of PPA. It has a little less spin but even more control and seems to age better.

Thanks for the advice.