Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The biggest hole in Raonic's game (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=436340)

LBR1 08-16-2012 04:30 PM

The biggest hole in Raonic's game

I'm saying it's his thumbs up greeting to the crowd after winning.
Compare that to Tsongas.
Can we come up with something better for him?
Maybe 10 pushups.

Otherwise, not seeing any holes.

LeeD 08-16-2012 04:33 PM

Didn't they say the same thing about Kraicheck and Phillipousis?
The only obstacle for them were their own bodies, at 6'5" and 195 lbs., prone to injuries after a few years near the top.

Ripster 08-16-2012 04:39 PM

His biggest hole is his backhand. It's just kind of a meh shot and he can miss it quite a bit.

He also needs to work on his return of serve. He doesn't break serve enough.

kishnabe 08-16-2012 04:39 PM

If Raonic can achive as much as Philpousis and even better Kracijek....then that is great itself barring all the injuries he might get his way.

He a bit boring at times, though when all his cylinders are firing he is okay to watch.

Just hope to see a miracle improvement in his movement and keep working on his ROS.

smoledman 08-16-2012 04:40 PM

Backhand is quite weak and ROS.

DolgoSantoro 08-16-2012 04:44 PM

Everything but his serve

JK, I'd say his movement in general. Groundstrokes seem ok overall, and as a big guy he's always going to be slow but I'd say that in this era of tennis on slower surfaces the fact that he can't really grind if he has to will hurt him I think

LeeD 08-16-2012 04:52 PM

Lots of offensive players don't bother with defense, choosing instead to hold their own serves, and saving their energy so they can hold their own serves.

MTF07 08-16-2012 05:01 PM

I'd say Raonic needs to significantly improve his return of serve, backhand and volleys/net game.

LBR1 08-16-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DolgoSantoro (Post 6812537)
Everything but his serve

JK, I'd say his movement in general. Groundstrokes seem ok overall, and as a big guy he's always going to be slow but I'd say that in this era of tennis on slower surfaces the fact that he can't really grind if he has to will hurt him I think

That's just brutal. Not seeing his movement as a liability, at least up until the top 7 perhaps. Maybe his first serve consistancy. But he has a great second to back it up.

The ROS is improving. Don't have the stat to show he breaks less than other players. I just think in comparison to his hold game, the return game looks weaker because it is of course. But weaker than average? Not sure.

His points are pretty quick, so how will that break his body down? Half the points are 1-2 it seems.

Starting to like watching him, when he gets on a roll especially.

cluckcluck 08-16-2012 05:21 PM

He's not very fun to watch. He plays a little flat (energy). Backhand could have a little more sting though. He returns decent but it's nothing to keep his matches short.

cc0509 08-16-2012 05:36 PM

ROS is the weakest part of his game. His movement is nothing to write home about but it has improved a little in a short amount of time. He needs to focus now and keep on trying to get more wins against bigger players as he has the last three days. That is what will get his confidence flowing and get his ranking up higher.

DolgoSantoro 08-16-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBR1 (Post 6812567)
That's just brutal. Not seeing his movement as a liability, at least up until the top 7 perhaps. Maybe his first serve consistancy. But he has a great second to back it up.

The ROS is improving. Don't have the stat to show he breaks less than other players. I just think in comparison to his hold game, the return game looks weaker because it is of course. But weaker than average? Not sure.

His points are pretty quick, so how will that break his body down? Half the points are 1-2 it seems.

The first part was a joke, albeit not a very funny one :), I like raonic as well and his potential is obvious. As for not being a liability until the top 7 I slightly disagree, but I see your point. My post was made while thinking of what is holding him back from the top 10 and I do think that his movement and agility currently aren't enough at that level. I do apologize though, i didn't mean to offend

Zildite 08-16-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

He is ranked 60th in % return games won, so not amazing.
Had his fair share of injuries already, short points or not.

SStrikerR 08-16-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 6812601)
He's not very fun to watch. He plays a little flat (energy). Backhand could have a little more sting though. He returns decent but it's nothing to keep his matches short.

He said that Sampras was his idol, which is why he tries to keep an outward emotionless appearance while on the court. He's not flat.

Also, you can't say his biggest weakness is everything but his serve and forehand. I mean really, you think he'd make it to the next level if EVERYTHING improved? No kidding, so would a lot of other guys. Tennis is all about holding serve, which he can do. One slip by his opponent, and they get broken. Bam, set over. If he has a good enough backhand to keep him in rallies until he gets a forehand, or can improve his movement to run around those backhands, hes fine. He can dictate with his forehand, and that's how he'll manufacture breaks. At his height, movement can't be relied on. It's just not natural for him, therefore he needs to compensate. Instead of extending rallies, he needs to shorten then. His backhand doesn't have the finishing power; something a limited amount of guys do have. No amount of work on it will make it offensive enough. He needs to find tactics that give him forehands where he has time to set up.

Rjtennis 08-16-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

That's just brutal. Not seeing his movement as a liability, at least up until the top 7.

I think he moves pretty well for a big guy. He looks like he is Nadal compared to someone like Isner. Milos can scramble and get himself back in a few points.

LeeD 08-16-2012 06:19 PM

Tall guys can indeed run fast...UsainBolt.
But changing directions are not their specialty.

kishnabe 08-16-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rjtennis (Post 6812714)
I think he moves pretty well for a big guy. He looks like he is Nadal compared to someone like Isner. Milos can scramble and get himself back in a few points.

If he can move like Delpo one day...he would be some much more fun to watch.

LeeD 08-16-2012 06:24 PM

Why not go another inch shorter, and move like Murray?
Or another 2 inches shorter, and move like Fed.
Or another 4" shorter, and move like Ferrer.
Or head the other direction, Dr.Ivo's not the quickest guy on tour.

kishnabe 08-16-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6812734)
Why not go another inch shorter, and move like Murray?
Or another 2 inches shorter, and move like Fed.
Or another 4" shorter, and move like Ferrer.
Or head the other direction, Dr.Ivo's not the quickest guy on tour.

Del Potro is a giant....and how can he move so beautifully at times? Raonic thanfully isn't as big as Karlovic!

Mighty Matteo 08-16-2012 06:57 PM

Imo, as others have said, he just needs a solid backhand (which he already has) to allow him to attack with his forehand. The biggest two places where he needs to improve are his movement and especially his return. if he make his movement just a bit better and really make his return a weapon, he would rise through the rankings.