Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   How important is stretching? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=436431)

RCizzle65 08-17-2012 01:06 PM

How important is stretching?

I don't stretch before I play tennis, the only times I have are when my high school/college coaches made the team stretch beforehand, but I don't do it any other time. I remembered that Agassi didn't stretch, but he was plagued with injuries late in his career, was that due to not stretching?

MostDope 08-17-2012 04:04 PM

Well a player at my club who usually stretches before playing wasmrunning late and didnt stretch. An hour into olaying she turned the wrong way and tore her ACL. I would say its pretty important to loosen up.

Marius_Hancu 08-17-2012 04:11 PM

Hugely important AFTER the match.
Before, just warmup.
Read my sticky, the section on stretching.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=52164

r2473 08-17-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marius_Hancu (Post 6814755)
Before, just warmup.

+1

LeeD 08-17-2012 06:00 PM

+1, after playing a hard match and you start to feel twinges of tightness.
Before, your routine, whatever makes you feel ready, from McDonald's Cheeseburgers to yoga, keep it consistent.
Injuries can happen whether you are loose or not.
I played 3 years of high school football, never stretching, but did warmups by running. Played OLB and tight end, 2 positions with violent high speed contacts. Got knocked out a few times, but never a physical injury.

TCF 08-17-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marius_Hancu (Post 6814755)
Before, just warmup.
Read my sticky, the section on stretching.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=52164

Exactly. We see people show up and start to play with no warmup, or do a crazy pre play stretching routine with no warm up, etc.

As Mr. Hancu says, warm up pre play, stretch as part of your cool down period.

maverick66 08-17-2012 08:49 PM

I think if you have the time stretch, warm up, than play. I am not sold as much as I used to on the dont stretch.

As someone that suffered from tight hamstrings and calfs I had to stretch.

I agree with Mike Boyle when he said any power loss they believe you get from stretching is well gone by the time you finish warming up.

ATP100 08-18-2012 03:24 AM

Easy Answer: Very Important

r2473 08-18-2012 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick66 (Post 6815169)
I think if you have the time stretch, warm up, than play. I am not sold as much as I used to on the dont stretch.

I agree with Mike Boyle when he said any power loss they believe you get from stretching is well gone by the time you finish warming up.

I'm certainly not against stretching before exercise, but I still would not stretch cold muscles. In high school track, the routine was to warm-up with light jogging, maybe 400-800 meters, stretch, do the workout, cool down with a ~400 meter jog, then stretch.

I had no problem with that, but decided that **I** really didn't need to stretch before the workout. But if you are tight and it helps, then that is the way to go.

I need to stretch after exercise or I get stiff and have a tendency to cramp. Just a personal thing. I know plenty of people that never stretch and are just fine.

I've come to believe that with regard to stretching, everyone is going to be different. You just need to experiment and find what works best for you.

The Meat 08-18-2012 07:11 AM

I think its important to do Dynamic stretches, rather than Static stretches. From what I've heard from my coach Static has a higher probability of weakening your muscles and when your out on court your more prone to injuries.

TCF 08-18-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick66 (Post 6815169)

I think you meant warm up, stretch, then play? I do not think any expert would advise to stretch first while the muscles are cold.

We normally warm the kids up, stretch, then play. Followed by a cool down at the end that includes some additional stretching.

maverick66 08-18-2012 08:28 AM

No I mean stretch first.

This is gonna go round and round once again but just do what feels good to you. The anti stretch thing got overblown big time.

I can remember in my tennis academy days that almost every kid had tightness. Especially in the hamstrings. Dynamic warm ups where not gonna fix that yet they did them every morning and afternoon.

Yet I rarely saw them stretching out good or be stretched out.

Fee 08-18-2012 11:51 AM

At my age, I'll warm up first with some jogging, high knees, whatevers, then I'll stretch. No way I'm stretching cold muscles like that, I have enough health problems already.

Definitely stretch afterwards as well, it's the best time for me to achieve maximum stretch depth and it really does help me feel better the next day.

Surecatch 08-18-2012 02:41 PM

I think it may depend on individual physical and age factors. In my forties, I do not stretch too much before a match. I tend to believe that for me, the story on static stretching being possibly detrimental is valid. I do just a few basic twists of the joints, swivel the hips a little, and bend over a couple times. That's it. I do make sure the muscles are warmed before match play.

TCF 08-18-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick66 (Post 6815854)
No I mean stretch first.

This is gonna go round and round once again but just do what feels good to you. The anti stretch thing got overblown big time.

I can remember in my tennis academy days that almost every kid had tightness. Especially in the hamstrings. Dynamic warm ups where not gonna fix that yet they did them every morning and afternoon.

Sorry, but your first statement is simply incorrect. I worked in the fitness industry for 30 years, coached every sport, and worked with some fine professionals.

No one would advise to stretch a cold muscle, makes no sense and would lead to more injuries. ALWAYS warm up a muscle before stretching. It is as simple as that. Again, sorry, but stretching first is the worst advice I have ever read.

I could post a bunch of studies but I doubt anyone reading this forum has any doubt that you never stretch first.

http://www.functional-fitness-facts....ise-myths.html

?You should never stretch cold muscles. Stretching cold muscles can cause injury, and several studies have shown that stretching cold muscles slightly decreases muscle strength and power for up to an hour after stretching. Warm up first, then stretch. Or stretch after your workout.?

floridatennisdude 08-18-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick66 (Post 6815854)
No I mean stretch first.

The academy folks knew what they were talking about. You don't. TCF is correct, cold muscles shouldn't be stretched prior to exertion.

Static stretching should be done when no exertion is followed. After excercise is good. Prior to sleep is great. Before excercise, movement prep is ideal. Jumping jacks and a light jog minimum. Dynamic movements targeted to the activity are better.

floridatennisdude 08-18-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCizzle65 (Post 6814408)
I don't stretch before I play tennis, the only times I have are when my high school/college coaches made the team stretch beforehand, but I don't do it any other time. I remembered that Agassi didn't stretch, but he was plagued with injuries late in his career, was that due to not stretching?

Agassi was plagued by a deformity that caused his spine to stiffen. He documents it in his book.

As to the thread title...stretching is important. It is important in order to maintain a flexible, lean muscle composition. Timing of stretching is also important. Prior to a work out, your body needs to prepare for the exertion it will face. That is not obtained by touching your toes. But, if you stretch consistently every night before you go to bed your body will thank you.

maverick66 08-18-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 6816966)
The academy folks knew what they were talking about. You don't. TCF is correct, cold muscles shouldn't be stretched prior to exertion.

Static stretching should be done when no exertion is followed. After excercise is good. Prior to sleep is great. Before excercise, movement prep is ideal. Jumping jacks and a light jog minimum. Dynamic movements targeted to the activity are better.

This is why stretching debates suck.

You are incorrect I will leave it at that.

Talker 08-18-2012 06:20 PM

I took martial arts classes at two different schools awhile back.
First thing we did was stretch at both classes, then did the usual warmups.

Same thing in my yoga class, immediately went into stretches without any warmup.

For tennis, I just hit around for 10 minutes and do mild stretches in between, that works best for me.

tennisplayer1993 08-18-2012 06:49 PM

very. i used to not stretch for matches. then i got a really really bad foot injury in 9th grade that forced me to sit out for the rest of the season. I landed awkwardly on my leg and scrapped my whole back of my ankle on the hard courts... it kept bleeding everyday through my socks and the tapes my coach put on. My coach said I could join the team the next year. But I ended up doing track for the rest of high school (forgot why though)