Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Best Diet To Drop 15 Pounds (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=436704)

tennisoh 08-20-2012 07:05 AM

Best Diet To Drop 15 Pounds

Hey guys, I know this has probably been discussed before, but I'm trying to get in the best shape of my life before I get too far off.

I have always played sports and workout every day in some way, but my problem is I've been a terrible eater most of my life. It has caught up to me as I get into my mid-20s, and I feel a little sluggish/overweight.

What I'm looking for are actual meal plans that I can use at home. I don't want to eat out AT ALL. I also don't want to starve myself. All the shakes out there seem cool, but I'm not sure if it's all marketing or if they actually work.

As I mentioned before, exercising is not the problem. I just need plans on how to eat the right way. Currenly I'd say I'm 5'11" or 6'0" and 190 lbs. Would like to get to 175. I figure with a proper diet and hopefully no injuries along the way, I can do this.

spaceman_spiff 08-20-2012 07:22 AM

Being healthy isn't the result of a temporary diet program. Being healthy is a lifestyle.

Don't think about doing a program that will lose you 15 pounds in a particular amount of time. Think about creating healthy eating habits that you can continue for the rest of your life. That includes eating plenty of vegetables, cutting down on sugar intake, and so on.

Once you develop a healthy lifestyle that you can maintain for the rest of your life, it's just a matter of time until you lose weight.

Feña14 08-20-2012 07:22 AM

For me, sticking too rigidly to a diet plan doesn't really work, and is tough to keep up with it over a longer period.

If you eat smaller portions of healthy foods, and more often, you will certainly see results. If you change your view on eating in general it will be easier, and something you can stick with after you reach your goal, making it more likely to keep the weight off.

Feña14 08-20-2012 07:23 AM

Ok, I think you beat me to it :)

Bartelby 08-20-2012 07:25 AM

What you actually need is some serious advice about nutrition and then plan what you eat around this knowledge.

Try to find a scientifically-accurate and accessible book about nutrition and food.

spaceman_spiff 08-20-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feña14 (Post 6820585)
For me, sticking too rigidly to a diet plan doesn't really work, and is tough to keep up with it over a longer period.

If you eat smaller portions of healthy foods, and more often, you will certainly see results. If you change your view on eating in general it will be easier, and something you can stick with after you reach your goal, making it more likely to keep the weight off.

The other problem with a diet program is that, once you've achieved your goal or you've fallen off the wagon, there's nothing stopping you from going right back to the habits that lead to the weight gain in the first place. Thus begins the yo-yo phenomenon.

SOY78 08-20-2012 07:39 AM

I've lost that much in two weeks when I was on a soft food diet because of me wisdom teeth operation. Nothing but hot wheat cereal for two weeks straight. Also when you flush the system say accidentally by drinking old juice or something like that you can loose that much in a week. But both of those choices are not a healthy way to do it. If you count the calories and use a calorie counter like www.myfitnesspal.com it will help you eat healthy and loose weight.

Bartelby 08-20-2012 07:42 AM

Larrysümmers 08-20-2012 07:53 AM

dont buy crap at the store! if you dont buy it at the store, then you cant take it home.

r2473 08-20-2012 08:09 AM

What's the best way to lose 15lbs. of ugly fat?

Chop off your head.

ollinger 08-20-2012 08:10 AM

3 Week Mallomar Diet

One mallomar for breakfast, one for lunch, one for dinner is a total of 360 calories. At your age and activity level, a maintenance intake is somewhere in the vicinity of 2850 calories. So, as you'll be running about 2500 calories a day below your maintenance intake, which means, with about 3500 calories representing a pound of body weight, that you'll lose about 5 pounds a week. Of course, individual nutrtional requirements vary so consult your physician before undertaking any special diets.

Feña14 08-20-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff (Post 6820611)
The other problem with a diet program is that, once you've achieved your goal or you've fallen off the wagon, there's nothing stopping you from going right back to the habits that lead to the weight gain in the first place. Thus begins the yo-yo phenomenon.

That's what i've found yeah. For me the change to eating smaller portions of healthier food, and eating a couple of extra times a day was the main thing. Once you get used to it, it's tough to get back into the bad habit of just one or two big meals.

I think most if it is common sense really, staying away from fried food, soft drinks, processed food, simple carbs etc.. If you do that in a way you can stick at, good things happen I find.

tennisoh 08-20-2012 08:48 AM

When I said a diet, I didn't mean it in the sense of a crash diet. I was aiming for a healthy, sustainable diet that maybe had meal plans for single guys that were not difficult to make. One of the reasons why I ate out all the time is because I am not a good cook, and I frankly don't want to spend hours making food.

So I was just looking for quick, easy and healthy meals to make, instead of these crash diets and such.

krz 08-20-2012 09:11 AM

Here's the secret. I've been doing this since college and it has worked wonders.

Eat whatever you want.

Go out and party and consume alcohol. Lots and lots of it, till you're sick.

Vomit.

Repeat.

Easy to stick to and you still get to enjoy all your favorites.

scotus 08-20-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krz (Post 6820817)
Here's the secret. I've been doing this since college and it has worked wonders.

Eat whatever you want.

Vomit.

Repeat.

If you want to waste your brain, have your stomach acid to eat away at your esophagus and still gain a lot of weight, go ahead and continue this madness.

jonnythan 08-20-2012 09:45 AM

Eat fewer calories. Exercise. Do some weight training.

That's it.

stringertom 08-20-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisoh (Post 6820772)
When I said a diet, I didn't mean it in the sense of a crash diet. I was aiming for a healthy, sustainable diet that maybe had meal plans for single guys that were not difficult to make. One of the reasons why I ate out all the time is because I am not a good cook, and I frankly don't want to spend hours making food.

So I was just looking for quick, easy and healthy meals to make, instead of these crash diets and such.

I had higher hurdles to clear than you have set and got there with great ease...I was 235 and an inch shorter than you at age 57. At 59, I'm 170 and able to eat just about anything I want without adding back weight.

First, go to any nutrition/vitamin shop and buy a bottle of CLA gel capsules. Conjugated linoleic acid will jumpstart a metabolic breakdown of fatty tissues you are storing in your body. Then, to make sure you're fueling your body properly I suggest reading up on the theory of the Zone Diet. 40/30/30 is key to having a chance at staying on course for longterm health maintenance. They even have easy recipes and eating-out evaluations to match their formula for the best way to eat and have the proper energy to stay in an active lifestyle.

tennisplayer1993 08-20-2012 11:38 AM

eat healthier and run 5-10 miles everyday. did that for few weeks this summer. lost 5 pounds and lost the tummy i got from college. Also i improved my mile time by 45 seconds. now it's about 7:30 again.

fastest ever was 6:15; I lost a lot of speed lol.. due to some severe injuries I had on my right ankle.

Mile time slowed down at least a minute due to a very bad muscle tare in my right ankle.

jonnythan 08-20-2012 11:38 AM

You don't need any pills. Just a normal diet of healthyish foods with enough protein and the right amount of calories. That's it. It's not rocket science and there are no magic pills or magic macro ratios.

tennisplayer1993 08-20-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krz (Post 6820817)

Eat whatever you want.

Vomit.

Repeat.

ROFL :laugh: