Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   A poly string a bit stiffer than scorpion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=437036)

Tmano 08-22-2012 07:38 PM

A poly string a bit stiffer than scorpion

I really like the string but sometime I feel like it's too soft on my microgel prestige MP strung at 47lbs. I tried tour bite and it's too stiff due to the string pattern 18/20...strung at 47 too.
II was thinking about babolat pro hurricane but I don't know where to place it as far as stiffness.
Open to suggestions....

Thanks

Tmano 08-23-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmano (Post 6826739)
I really like the string but sometime I feel like it's too soft on my microgel prestige MP strung at 47lbs. I tried tour bite and it's too stiff due to the string pattern 18/20...strung at 47 too.
II was thinking about babolat pro hurricane but I don't know where to place it as far as stiffness.
Open to suggestions....

Thanks

any help here:(

ewberner 08-23-2012 11:33 AM

WC silverstring

Tmano 08-23-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewberner (Post 6828660)
WC silverstring

Thanks ewberner, I don't know if you tried it but where would you place babolat pro hurricane as far as stiffness?

Muppet 08-23-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmano (Post 6828852)
Thanks ewberner, I don't know if you tried it but where would you place babolat pro hurricane as far as stiffness?

Here's a neat tool from TW:

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/lear...ringfinder.php

Backhanded Compliment 08-23-2012 01:23 PM

Silverstring 1.20 in a Prestige MP is a great choice. I prefer it to Hurricane and it lasts a lot longer. Silverstring was easier on the arm and seemed to have better control too

Torres 08-23-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmano (Post 6826739)
I really like the string but sometime I feel like it's too soft on my microgel prestige MP strung at 47lbs.

Why are you not trying a higher tension? That will increase stringbed stiffness.

pvaudio 08-23-2012 02:04 PM

I have Hurricane in my top 5 polys of all time simply because it just works. As far as softness goes, I truly think you'd be hard pressed to find a softer poly than hurricane 18. If you want a poly a bit stiffer than Scorpion but with many of its qualities, then yes, Silverstring 1.20 is a nice choice.

Tmano 08-23-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 6829058)
Why are you not trying a higher tension? That will increase stringbed stiffness.

I tried it once at 53 full bed and it was so boardy I had to cut the string...I guess because of the 18-20 string pattern

Tmano 08-23-2012 02:57 PM

Thanks all guys.......

Backhanded Compliment, do you use silverstring in full bed?

thanks

ewberner 08-23-2012 03:01 PM

I have used it in a full bed before. It played well

Torres 08-23-2012 03:04 PM

Problem here is that we're talking about a moving feast. There's no way that Scorpion when fresh at 53lbs CP is boardy. That's my tension of choice in a 18/20 6.1 for this string and when fresh it feels perfect to me, neither to soft nor to stiff. But it dies quickly and when it's dead it definitely gets pretty stiff. And low powered. Much more noticeable in a closed pattern rather than a open one where you can play through the issue to a certain extent.

Silverstring doesn't play line Scorpion in my view.

Personally if I wanted to stiffen Scorpion, I'd either change the tension or introduce a stiffer cross string.

Muppet 08-23-2012 03:59 PM

The first time I tried Scorpion full bed, I had it at 57 lockout. It was pretty stiff on the Muscle Weave 95. That would convert to 52 constant pull. I hybrided it at 48 CP and it feels about right there, with a Hexy Fiber cross at 51.

Tmano 08-23-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 6829224)
Problem here is that we're talking about a moving feast. There's no way that Scorpion when fresh at 53lbs CP is boardy. That's my tension of choice in a 18/20 6.1 for this string and when fresh it feels perfect to me, neither to soft nor to stiff. But it dies quickly and when it's dead it definitely gets pretty stiff. And low powered. Much more noticeable in a closed pattern rather than a open one where you can play through the issue to a certain extent.

Silverstring doesn't play line Scorpion in my view.

Personally if I wanted to stiffen Scorpion, I'd either change the tension or introduce a stiffer cross string.

Torres, that's my impression that at 53 is boardy. however it depends on the racquet you play with. i switched to the microgel prestige mp about 9 months ago and it's stiffer than the pure strom gt tour my previous racquet. also I string the racquet with a drop weight machine which I don't know if it makes any difference.

Torres 08-24-2012 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmano (Post 6829441)
Torres, that's my impression that at 53 is boardy. however it depends on the racquet you play with. i switched to the microgel prestige mp about 9 months ago and it's stiffer than the pure strom gt tour my previous racquet. also I string the racquet with a drop weight machine which I don't know if it makes any difference.

Strokes and fokes, I guess.

I used to use Scorpion 17 at 53lbs CP in a leaded YT Prestige MP, which I'm guessing is stiffer than your Microgel. Not a great deal of spin but sensational for control, feedback, and hitting through the court. When fresh I didn't find it boardy - just the right side of 'immediate' response off the stringbed, but then I prefer the immediacy of the response off the stringbed. Any softness goes after the first 2-3 hours after which I found that it stiffens up, becomes lower powered, and loses spin. At 5 hours, it didn't feel nice at all.

Personally, I think that if you really like Scoprion, you're not really going to replicate its feel unless you retain some element of it in the stringbed. So that is likely to mean either an increase in tension (small differences of 1-2lbs make a difference to how this string feels in a 18x20), or use a (stiffer) Scorpion 16 cross with your 17 mains, or find a stiffer poly cross (though I don't know what that might be).

ewberner 08-24-2012 05:37 AM

I have put a basic 17g poly like duralast or polylon in the crosses with scorpion 17 mains to stiffen it up a little bit. I prefer full bed of scorpion to that.

Tmano 08-24-2012 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 6830094)
Strokes and fokes, I guess.

I used to use Scorpion 17 at 53lbs CP in a leaded YT Prestige MP, which I'm guessing is stiffer than your Microgel. Not a great deal of spin but sensational for control, feedback, and hitting through the court. When fresh I didn't find it boardy - just the right side of 'immediate' response off the stringbed, but then I prefer the immediacy of the response off the stringbed. Any softness goes after the first 2-3 hours after which I found that it stiffens up, becomes lower powered, and loses spin. At 5 hours, it didn't feel nice at all.

Personally, I think that if you really like Scoprion, you're not really going to replicate its feel unless you retain some element of it in the stringbed. So that is likely to mean either an increase in tension (small differences of 1-2lbs make a difference to how this string feels in a 18x20), or use a (stiffer) Scorpion 16 cross with your 17 mains, or find a stiffer poly cross (though I don't know what that might be).

could it be that at 53 i find it stiff because I use the 16l gauge 1.22?

Tmano 08-24-2012 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewberner (Post 6830297)
I have put a basic 17g poly like duralast or polylon in the crosses with scorpion 17 mains to stiffen it up a little bit. I prefer full bed of scorpion to that.

i prefer a full bed too.....plus i'm not good at hybriding strings:)

Muppet 08-24-2012 06:01 PM

Scorpion 1.22 is very tension sensitive. It says so on the package. On my 12.9 oz. 18x20 I wouldn't string it above 50 lb. (drop weight) in a full bed.

Tmano 08-24-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppet (Post 6832049)
Scorpion 1.22 is very tension sensitive. It says so on the package. On my 12.9 oz. 18x20 I wouldn't string it above 50 lb. (drop weight) in a full bed.

i did not notice that it says that on the package. i guess it explain why i tought it was stiff at 53 lbs. right now i got it strung at 46