Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   White Dri Fit shirt washing problems? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=437106)

Benjahayes 08-23-2012 10:11 AM

White Dri Fit shirt washing problems?
 
The shirt went in the washer with no stains. Comes out with weird yellow-brown stains on the sleeve cuffs and random spots throughout. Any thoughts as to how this can be prevented AND/OR fixed, e.g. can I bleach this thing?

Andyroo10567 08-23-2012 10:38 AM

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=45519

Try reading this thread about washing and drying dri - fit clothes. Hope this helps. :D

DavisI 08-23-2012 10:49 AM

That happens to me when I get sunscreen on it. You can't see it until you wash and dry it and the the stains show up. We have hard water with high iron content, fwiw.

ArliHawk 08-23-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavisI (Post 6828513)
That happens to me when I get sunscreen on it. You can't see it until you wash and dry it and the the stains show up. We have hard water with high iron content, fwiw.

Sunscreen instantly came to my mind, too.

Benjahayes 08-24-2012 12:29 AM

it's the sunscreen...
 
after doing a bit of research, I think I've concluded that it's definitely the sunscreen. I've been using the Target Up & Up Sport spray. apparently that particular product has a lot of notoriety (just check out the reviews on Target's site) for putting horrible stains on white/light colored clothing. I guess I'd just never noticed it before not having had a white tennis shirt before last week...

JGads 08-24-2012 01:32 AM

Sunscreen! Personal mystery solved, as I've had this issue as well on some of my whites. Also couldn't figure out why some of my white wristbands were getting so stained over time.

If anyone knows of a sunscreen that stains less than others, please share. Guessing they're about all the same, though.

Al Czervik 08-24-2012 05:05 AM

I used the Coppertone spray for a while, but it did the same thing. Stick with the lotion and you'll be good. Unfortunately, I can't get the sunscreen coloring out. Oxy products work well on almost anything else.

Benjahayes 08-25-2012 12:29 AM

Hey everyone, I figured out something that worked to get the stains out, at least 95%. DW-40 sprayed onto the stains seems to get them out, but it takes multiple applications. My shirt is pretty white now but smells like DW-40, which I'm hoping the Tide Sport I bought will fix... anyway-- give it a try. let me know what you think.

mikeler 08-25-2012 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjahayes (Post 6832477)
Hey everyone, I figured out something that worked to get the stains out, at least 95%. DW-40 sprayed onto the stains seems to get them out, but it takes multiple applications. My shirt is pretty white now but smells like DW-40, which I'm hoping the Tide Sport I bought will fix... anyway-- give it a try. let me know what you think.


Or like everyone has said, you can simply change your sunscreen. :)

Benjahayes 08-25-2012 10:25 AM

already changed. Just posting info for those seeking to salvage clothing...

JGads 08-25-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Czervik (Post 6830231)
I used the Coppertone spray for a while, but it did the same thing. Stick with the lotion and you'll be good. Unfortunately, I can't get the sunscreen coloring out. Oxy products work well on almost anything else.

Wait, so the lotion doesn't stain it but the spray does? Even if some of the lotion ends up on the sleeve edges and such? I use both kinds of SS so I'm not sure what's stained some of my shirts over time.

Radicalized 08-25-2012 03:31 PM

Personally, I'm a Cheer detergent user. If you ever have stains you really need to remove on high-quality whites at home, use a color-safe bleach powder. I do dry on a delicate low-heat cycle, but as noted elsewhere, in some cases, hanging to dry is best. For spot treatment, regular Wisk works well, especially for the old "ring around the collar" on collared shirts.

Also, wash cold as per directions, and to not set stains that are heat-sensitive.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse