Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Bob Bryan's Set Up.. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=437160)

asusundevils1971 08-23-2012 05:51 PM

Bob Bryan's Set Up..

My friend received Bob's racquet after they won in Toronto. He was in the friends box for the finals on Sunday. I had the racquet in my hands yesterday and the racquet had clear strings in it. I couldn't tell what string it was. The racquet also had metal grommets on the either side where the big holes/slits are in Prince EX03 sticks. I do know that there is no lead on the frame and it is a stock frame. The grip is also stock with the ResiPro with no alterations other than tournagrip wrap. It is 95" frame which was strung at 51#. I asked my friend and his only answer about the strings is " they are Prince because thats who sponsors them ". My friends son is Bob's usual hitting partner in Florida.

gavna 08-23-2012 06:01 PM

My son has a stick from both Bob and Mike from the summer.....his are strung with Beast in the mains and Prince Gut in the crosses......for a time they were using full Beast as well.

Also have the string grommets - doubt its metal as the new Rebel frame grommets and ports have a metallic finish over the plastic.

asusundevils1971 08-23-2012 06:07 PM

Set up

I am not familiar with Prince racquets and didn't know they have string grommets lol. The string in the mains and crosses were clear, isn't Beast strings green?. The main and crosses were the same string and they might have been gut. Thank you for your response. Do both brothers string their racquets at 51#?.

gavna 08-23-2012 06:24 PM

The Rebels can have ports or string grommets....totally interchangeable.......could be full gut......yes Beast is bright green. On clay they were stringing in the 40s and hard I'm sure in the low 50s - a stringer from the Italian open a few months back posted the exact specs for both bros.

asusundevils1971 08-23-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 6829558)
The Rebels can have ports or string grommets....totally interchangeable.......could be full gut......yes Beast is bright green. On clay they were stringing in the 40s and hard I'm sure in the low 50s - a stringer from the Italian open a few months back posted the exact specs for both bros.

Yeah, the few # extra for the hardcourt hot weather would make sense from the 40's # that would be used in the cool spring clay court season. Thank you again. You are right about metal grommets, that would make no sense to make them. Metallic looking grommets seems alot more likely.

drakulie 08-23-2012 06:48 PM

He uses Prince Natural Gut, 16 gauge.

asusundevils1971 08-23-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 6829597)
He uses Prince Natural Gut, 16 gauge.

Have you strung either of the borthers racquets?. Do they like the same or similiar tension in their sticks?. The string looked clean like a synthetic gut but I know that no top player would use that for their string lol. The Prince P logo was barely worn off. So no wear on the strings, I don't know how much Bob changes racquets in a match.

drakulie 08-23-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asusundevils1971 (Post 6829613)
Have you strung either of the borthers racquets?. Do they like the same or similiar tension in their sticks?. The string looked clean like a synthetic gut but I know that no top player would use that for their string lol. The Prince P logo was barely worn off. So no wear on the strings, I don't know how much Bob changes racquets in a match.

We strung for both of the Bryan's at Cincy this past week. he used Prince Natural Gut, 16 gauge, strung in the low 50's. His brother uses a hybrid (beast and prince natural gut). Also, they string their frames every day,,,, sometimes twice a day.

Also, although not the norm, there are still many players who use regular synthetics such as sensation, nxt, etc. Paola Suarez uses a full bed of Prince Tournament Nylon, and she is a grand slam champion.

JDMasFCK 08-23-2012 07:27 PM

are they using an 18 x 20 or 16 x 20 string pattern? :O

asusundevils1971 08-23-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 6829639)
We strung for both of the Bryan's at Cincy this past week. he used Prince Natural Gut, 16 gauge, strung in the low 50's. His brother uses a hybrid (beast and prince natural gut). Also, they string their frames every day,,,, sometimes twice a day.

Also, although not the norm, there are still many players who use regular synthetics such as sensation, nxt, etc. Paola Suarez uses a full bed of Prince Tournament Nylon, and she is a grand slam champion.

Wow, I didn't know that there are many players using synthetics. Since you strung Bob's racquets up can you explain the two stickers. One was 51# for the tension and the one I held had another sticker saying 61. Both were very small 1/4" x 1/4". I know alot of the pros label their sticks by numbers but 61?. Would that have been his 61 first racquet this year?. I did like that inside the throat it had " The Bryan Bros " that was cool see. Thank you Drakulie for the info.

asusundevils1971 08-23-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMasFCK (Post 6829665)
are they using an 18 x 20 or 16 x 20 string pattern? :O

I didn't count the pattern. I was surprised that Bob used a stock racquet with nothing added to it. No mold for the hand and no lead.

csg4005 08-23-2012 07:45 PM

I thought they used the 98"?
My "lingo" isn't quite up to speed, but with the interchangeable grommets/ports.. Do the Bryan brothers still have the ports in their rackets?

asusundevils1971 08-23-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csg4005 (Post 6829690)
I thought they used the 98"?
My "lingo" isn't quite up to speed, but with the interchangeable grommets/ports.. Do the Bryan brothers still have the ports in their rackets?

Bob uses a 95" I am not sure about the other brother. Bob has ports in his racquet, but there is an insert that look like it is metal but I was informed that they are actually plastic with a metal look. If you held the racquet you would see the insert grommets. Im not sure if you can see them on tv. Like I said earlier on this thread, I am not familiar with Prince racquets. I will take picutres of Bob's frame the next time I see my friend and post them. That is what I should have done Wednesday night.

Seth 08-23-2012 08:01 PM

It's 27.5, correct? Interesting to me that they use the ResiPro rather than leather.

asusundevils1971 08-23-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth (Post 6829715)
It's 27.5, correct? Interesting to me that they use the ResiPro rather than leather.

no its 27" in length and Bob had the black ResiPro underneath. I was surprised it was only 4 3/8 grip with tourney over top. I was suspecting to see a leather grip with it personally done for his hand. It was a stock Prince racquet.

uk_skippy 08-23-2012 11:40 PM

Ask Jazar on the Bryans's rqts; he's an expect on them.

jazar 08-24-2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uk_skippy (Post 6829970)
Ask Jazar on the Bryans's rqts; he's an expect on them.

I wouldn't go so far as to describe myself as an "expect", but I do have one of Bob's frames and have strung up about 150 rackets for him and Mike at the French Open and Wimbledon this year.

Bob's racket is not a stock racket, as some people have said. Just because there is no visible weight added, doesn't mean it isn't there. There are strips of lead under the bumper at 12 o'clock and I assume there is weight added inside the handle as well. The weight of the racket, strung with an overgrip is 365g. It is also about 0.5cm longer than a standard length racket. It is 18x20 and it's doubtful whether it is a real Rebel, I think it is based on the Ignite frame. Last year they had slightly different setups for the clay/grass season and the American hard court season, though I can't remember what the exact differences were.

As for stringing, at RG and Wimbledon both brothers had a hybrid of 1.30 Prince Natural gut mains and 1.20 Prince Beast crosses. Bob went 4lbs looser on the crosses and Mike went 3lbs looser on the crosses. At both RG and Wimbledon their tensions were around 50 on the mains and 46 on the crosses (for Bob) and 47 on the crosses (for Mike). They usually have one racket each strung every day for practice, and if they have a match they'll usually have another two each strung after practice. Both of them use the grommet inserts.

sansaephanh 08-24-2012 03:05 AM

when i watch videos of them playing, they look like they were using 98s. My eyes are playing tricks on me i suppose.

gavna 08-24-2012 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazar (Post 6830069)
I wouldn't go so far as to describe myself as an "expect", but I do have one of Bob's frames and have strung up about 150 rackets for him and Mike at the French Open and Wimbledon this year.

Bob's racket is not a stock racket, as some people have said. Just because there is no visible weight added, doesn't mean it isn't there. There are strips of lead under the bumper at 12 o'clock and I assume there is weight added inside the handle as well. The weight of the racket, strung with an overgrip is 365g. It is also about 0.5cm longer than a standard length racket. It is 18x20 and it's doubtful whether it is a real Rebel, I think it is based on the Ignite frame. Last year they had slightly different setups for the clay/grass season and the American hard court season, though I can't remember what the exact differences were.

As for stringing, at RG and Wimbledon both brothers had a hybrid of 1.30 Prince Natural gut mains and 1.20 Prince Beast crosses. Bob went 4lbs looser on the crosses and Mike went 3lbs looser on the crosses. At both RG and Wimbledon their tensions were around 50 on the mains and 46 on the crosses (for Bob) and 47 on the crosses (for Mike). They usually have one racket each strung every day for practice, and if they have a match they'll usually have another two each strung after practice. Both of them use the grommet inserts.

That's the exact set up they had this spring as well.....and yes they had under the old (2010/2011) Rebel PJ a coustomized IGNITE "PRO" version that was 27.5 and an 18 x 20 pattern. But starting in late 2011/early 2012 they went with the new Rebel version -
And what the original OP thinks is "metal" is the new plastic grommets on the Rebels have a "faux" chrome finish (almost a gold-ish color) that Prince says is made from a new polymer that enhances feel....

TennisCJC 08-24-2012 11:40 AM

Can you get weight, balance and swing weight for the racket? You say there is no lead tape visible but there could be lead tape under the head bumper or in the grip. A few years ago, there were specs that should the both Bryans played with heavy rackets with high swing weights - not stock specs.